Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times

Advertisements

That article is misleading.

The appeals court has not decided the case. What they've done is put the district court's order on hold until they decide the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodaloop View Post
Not sure if you know, but the law has already been debated and found constitutional long ago.
Yes, where there is reasonable suspicion. You can stop and frisk someone who has committed a crime or is in the act of committing a crime. Randomly stopping and frisk passerby is unconstitutional.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
That article is misleading.

The appeals court has not decided the case. What they've done is put the district court's order on hold until they decide the case.
I think the fix is in. The law-n-order types in the court want to keep stop and frisk, but if they make a ruling on its merits it'll be headed to the Supreme Court before you can say "certiorari". So instead they'll mess around on bogus procedural grounds.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
And yet the NSA snooping on the citizens is perfectly legal...

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
I think stop and frisk should remain but should be altered and more reasonable. I grew up in the ghetto and I can't deny that if I was a cop, and saw suspicious characters and activity, I would certainly stop and frisk. The thing is, a lot of these hoodlums cry foul but make their activity blatantly obvious. I've seen it ALL the time. They stand on the corner of the deli's GROUPS of them, selling contraband, and embrace the fact that they are doing it. They'll rap about it, make videos, and boast about it to each other. Once the cops stop and frisk them, they want to make a protest all the time.

MAN UP. If you don't want to get caught, then don't get caught. Dummies.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:40 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
OOdalop...it has never been decided that ILLEGAL S&F are constitutional..which is what this case is all about. The MANNER that S&F was executed in NYC was ruled unconstitutional, and anyone who has lived in NYC outside of prime NYC districts is well aware of the broad and massive abuse of S&F.

Lital_The_Worst...if you grew up in the ghetto, you would know being suspicious does not constitute congregating in public..in which case most of NYC would be incarcerated, starting with everyone in Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park. But of course, when people of color do it, there is clearly illicit activity, right? The only Dummy here is you...MAN UP AND GET EDUCATED.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
OOdalop...it has never been decided that ILLEGAL S&F are constitutional..which is what this case is all about. The MANNER that S&F was executed in NYC was ruled unconstitutional, and anyone who has lived in NYC outside of prime NYC districts is well aware of the broad and massive abuse of S&F.

Lital_The_Worst...if you grew up in the ghetto, you would know being suspicious does not constitute congregating in public..in which case most of NYC would be incarcerated, starting with everyone in Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park. But of course, when people of color do it, there is clearly illicit activity, right? The only Dummy here is you...MAN UP AND GET EDUCATED.

You're such a butt hurt little cry baby, Sobro. The moment someone speaks about the Bronx badly or speaks the truth on what GHETTO people do, you get all hysterical and start name calling people. There's a total difference between people in Times Square, Rockefeller and Central Park congregating and people in the hood congregating. And when I say ghetto, I'm not saying people of color, ghetto can be anyone. And don't tell me to be educated SON. I'll be more than happy to show you how it gets down in the hood my little boy. Put your money up, I'm not no internet warrior and I'm not even about to get into some stupid keyboard debate. I'll be more than happy to show you how obvious these ghetto morons who get stopped and frisked are.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Well, I really want to see how this plays out when DiBlasio becomes Mayor.

What's so funny is that Shaq had said in an interview that NYPD has done a wonderful job of keeping NYC safe, that twitterland almost blew up over it!! LOL!

He was dead serious too with his shucking and jiving self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Interesting. Well, it may not matter much in the end since De Blasio has said he is going to change stop and frisk regardless. Since the polls are tipped greatly in his favor, this appeal almost seems like a waste of time.
Has De Blasio already won the election? Really it is not clear the appeal unneeded yet.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Personally I just hope DeBlasio make some changes to it like the quotas for starters.
What good would quotas do?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
most of the people the pigs stop and frisk are innocent, so it's a racist, stupid law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City