U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 PM

16,523 posts, read 11,687,759 times

Advertisements

You seriously paid for an education? Ask for a refund on your loans, like yesterday. No offense, but reality is reality. You got ripped off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:59 PM

4,989 posts, read 7,905,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveGudz View Post
I been employed by City, and part of the Union. And I don't have subsidize apartment, or any apartment. Because I can't afforded. I'm as many of you paying taxes and did not get any greatness for past 10 yeas. I'm still renting room, not because I'm lazy and don't want to work, and just because i can afforded, even I'm having i full city job, and part time privet. And , no union, no Bloomberg, no any "program" are available for me. And I do love the NYC. And just wish I could pays my student loan, for two educations I took, and afford sleep under the roof, and have some food.....
And that what is reality of City worker....

Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM

141 posts, read 294,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This has already been happening for years, and certainly happened under Bloomberg. Upper Middle Class people have left the city. Living costs are unsustainable. And truthfully, a certain number of people who made it big have always LEFT NYC!

..like any other city in the world. There are a certain number of people who have made it big who have left London, Paris, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, Sydney, Milan, Monaco, Singapore, Madrid, Istanbul, Dallas, Houston, Hong Kong. But let's be honest, no other city except for London attracts as many super rich as NYC.

The number of NYers who earn over $1mm per year doubled from 2001-2011.

Quote:
In 2001, 11,700 New Yorkers reported earning more than $1 million annually, according to summaries of resident tax returns provided by the mayor’s office. A decade later, 20,416 did.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/ny...come.html?_r=0

NYC will never have to worry about wealthy people, because it has the most of it and it will always be that way.

The problem is the middle class..but in the case of the middle class, the people who leave NYC are replaced by higher earning middle class group:

Quote:
According to the Census Bureau’s latest American Community Survey, the average household income of those who left New York was $44,739. The average for those who came was $55,419 — the largest differential in at least five years.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...us-shows/?_r=0

Last edited by Mr. Don Draper; 11-05-2013 at 11:57 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 AM

15,243 posts, read 13,138,926 times
If you can't afford to live in NYC, move. I'm not being sarcastic. NYC is one of, if not the most expensive cities in the country. It can be a very tough place to make it, especially if you don't have specialized skills that are in demand here. The flip side is that no one has an economic right to live here. If you can't cut it here, move on

Move someplace else where you can find a job that will pay your enough to live better. There's a big, Big, BIG country out there, and most of it is a lot cheaper than NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveGudz View Post
I been employed by City, and part of the Union. And I don't have subsidize apartment, or any apartment. Because I can't afforded. I'm as many of you paying taxes and did not get any greatness for past 10 yeas. I'm still renting room, not because I'm lazy and don't want to work, and just because i can afforded, even I'm having i full city job, and part time privet. And , no union, no Bloomberg, no any "program" are available for me. And I do love the NYC. And just wish I could pays my student loan, for two educations I took, and afford sleep under the roof, and have some food.....
And that what is reality of City worker....

Old 11-06-2013, 03:36 AM

25,539 posts, read 22,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Don Draper View Post
..like any other city in the world. There are a certain number of people who have made it big who have left London, Paris, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, Sydney, Milan, Monaco, Singapore, Madrid, Istanbul, Dallas, Houston, Hong Kong. But let's be honest, no other city except for London attracts as many super rich as NYC.

The number of NYers who earn over $1mm per year doubled from 2001-2011.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/ny...come.html?_r=0

NYC will never have to worry about wealthy people, because it has the most of it and it will always be that way.

The problem is the middle class..but in the case of the middle class, the people who leave NYC are replaced by higher earning middle class group:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...us-shows/?_r=0
Then there's no reason for people to worry about de Blasio being elected. I doubt the super rich are all that concerned.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:37 AM

25,539 posts, read 22,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you can't afford to live in NYC, move. I'm not being sarcastic. NYC is one of, if not the most expensive cities in the country. It can be a very tough place to make it, especially if you don't have specialized skills that are in demand here. The flip side is that no one has an economic right to live here. If you can't cut it here, move on

Move someplace else where you can find a job that will pay your enough to live better. There's a big, Big, BIG country out there, and most of it is a lot cheaper than NYC.
All that's very true.........

Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 AM

2,503 posts, read 4,096,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
exit polls show deBlasio won those making $100k+ 63% to 35%

New York City Mayor Exit Polls - 2013 Election Results - NYTimes.com
Yup...sounds right up the alley of Union inflated salaries. The Union motto: "Get paid MORE to do LESS".

Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 AM

912 posts, read 2,008,263 times
And the party goes on...1989 was a long time ago folks...drink up and enjoy...a tale of two cities will be no more...everybody's getting a shot

Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,957,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
And the party goes on...1989 was a long time ago folks...drink up and enjoy...a tale of two cities will be no more...everybody's getting shot
I fixed the end of your quote for you.

Enjoy the crime and degredation. NYC will be the new Chicago and Detroit!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 AM

912 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I fixed the end of your quote for you.

Enjoy the crime and degredation. NYC will be the new Chicago and Detroit!
No it wont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City