U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 AM

16,217 posts, read 21,957,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Before even taking office, De Blasio's accomplishments already outshine those of any previous mayor. His progressive message and everybody deserves a shot mantra is truly uplifting. What a thrilling catalyst for hope and change
Lets not jump the gun here. He has not been elected yet and we don't know how he will be like. Dont get me wrong, N YC isbtired of 20 years of quasi republican some what liberal mayors, but now city residents seek someone that is progressive in form. Me personally from an historical perspective , I think Mayor Fiorello Laguardia was the best Mayor NYC has ever had. NYC needs another Fiorello.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,788,803 times
They sought a "progressive" mayor back in the 1960s too. They got Linsey. Like Lindsey, De Blasio will progressively bankrupt the city by catering to tge unions and all special interests.

Even that liberal rag of the Times doesnt like him.

Go broke NY...no one will care. You arent the shining light of cities anymore.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 AM

681 posts, read 1,596,073 times
I was having a discussion with a friend the other day and was told that Blasio will be another David Dinkins.

I don't know if there's any truth to that since when Dinkins was in office I was young and didn't care much about politics.

The only thing that I remember was that he pushed for the NYC Assault Weapons Ban even though the city council was against it, no not too long after that my older friends in the neighborhood who legally owned "assault" type rifles had to get rid of them.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 AM

24,744 posts, read 34,735,730 times
Yeah it would break our hearts if people had to give up their machine guns.

Quote:
Even that liberal rag of the Times doesnt like him.
Uhhh, really. That's not what I read.

NYTimes editorial board:
Quote:

If he combines his populist touch with attentive, courageous
leadership, he will have earned the city’s support; he already has ours.
Here's the whole endorsement:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/op...for-mayor.html

Quote:

Go broke NY...no one will care. You aren't the shining light of cities
anymore.
So then the shining light will be some city that has been run by and for corporate interests for the last century? DETROIT for example. Yep, give the Cities to the likes of GM, Bethlehem Steel, Coal Mining, or Oil companies and see the "shing light of cities."
Let's try running a city for the good of ITS PEOPLE for a change.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-03-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 AM

17,648 posts, read 29,812,648 times
lets hope he does good.

I am very sensitive to air traffic, so if he does nothing about the low flying cancer causing airplanes that are flying 2500 feet above our heads all day long at 30 seconds intervals headed to LGA then we will see. and no, I don't live near an airport either, FAA thanks to Nextgen re routed all the plane route without letting the public know.

Also the tourist helicopters, if he bans them like Guiliani did then I will be a fan, but Bloomie re instated what Guilaini did, (so that didn't go over to well for me). Bloomie didn't care about the quality of our lives, just the mighty buck.
How relaxing is it to go to Govenor's Island and hear tourist helicopters fly around the Island all day long.....

I like deBlasio as man, I'm not convinced he will be great for our City. I do not though, like Lhota, at all. Anyone that worked or was affilliated with MTA is not good in my book, because the MTA is about as corrupt as it gets, and has been in a decifit for decades that no matter what the fare hike is, it is still never enough.

We also need someone to reduce the bridge and tunnel crossings, like seriously 15 dollars to get to Staten Island???

Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM

912 posts, read 2,009,537 times
Cant believe all the de Blasio hate. The guy is like The Beatles and Martin Scorsese rolled into one.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 4,706,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
We also need someone to reduce the bridge and tunnel crossings, like seriously 15 dollars to get to Staten Island???
State issue, not a city one.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:46 AM

15,254 posts, read 13,166,326 times
The 20 years of (sort of) Republican rule was the best thing that happened to NYC since WWII. NYC had become a crime ridden, run down $hi+hole. Giuliani got it back on the right track, and despite his eccentricities, Bloomberg kept it on that track. Now it' looks like NYers have gotten stupid, and are going to let Bla drive it back to what it was.

Maybe when things get bad enough, people will realize what really works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets not jump the gun here. He has not been elected yet and we don't know how he will be like. Dont get me wrong, N YC isbtired of 20 years of quasi republican some what liberal mayors, but now city residents seek someone that is progressive in form. Me personally from an historical perspective , I think Mayor Fiorello Laguardia was the best Mayor NYC has ever had. NYC needs another Fiorello.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,788,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The 20 years of (sort of) Republican rule was the best thing that happened to NYC since WWII. NYC had become a crime ridden, run down $hi+hole. Giuliani got it back on the right track, and despite his eccentricities, Bloomberg kept it on that track. Now it' looks like NYers have gotten stupid, and are going to let Bla drive it back to what it was.

Gotten stupid?? Just living in that overtaxed nanny city qualifies you as mentally impaired or just too dependant on city handouts to make it anywhere else.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 4,706,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Crime in the last 20 years has dropped off in nearly all major metro areas in the US, republican or democratically run. Changes in fed. policy, abortion, social programs, and technology advancement are more-so-responsible than current administrations.

It would be incredibly hard for NYC to go back to where it was 25 years ago, as it would be for any major city.

Giulianni definately did get the ball rolling, but even if DiBlasio was as inflentual as Giulianni but in the opposite direction, you'd still never see NYC as it was during the late 80s.

Nearly every New Yorker has a mobile phone with a GPS unit and a camera in it.
Video surveliance systems are 10 times as advanced and can cost 100 times less at they did in 1990.

It just isn't the same world anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City