U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:10 PM

2,503 posts, read 4,099,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Exactly. Scorsese of Mean Streets and Taxi Driver.

I'm a 1970s nostalgist. I want NYC to return to the days of drugs, filth, blood, crime, and hookers on the streets. That's why I like De Blasio.

I want to put up metal bars on my windows.

I want to be harassed while riding on the subway.

I want the underage runaways to start showing up again at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, to be picked up by predators.

I need the adrenalin rush, I need the ready access to drugs, I need the thrill of risking my life every day. I'm in my late middle age, and I need to recapture my youth. That's why I'm for De Blasio.

Sarcasm?????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 PM

4,989 posts, read 7,910,180 times
hilltop, I just wanna pinch your nipples you adorable bastard...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM

94 posts, read 123,716 times

Look at Blasio's campaign photo.
Even the little boy want Blasio.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 PM

17,648 posts, read 29,812,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, de Blasio will give the unions raises. But you are forgetting nothing in politics is free. De Blasio can't raise taxes without state approval, and federal FUNDING to all city programs is being cut.

So what will de Blasio do? The unions will get their raises, but there will be cuts. Where possible the city and state will continue to use technology to replace people. Have you been on the subway recently? Most token booth clerks are gone, and there maybe a day when they are all gone. Replaced by token booth machines. You used to have to wait on long lines to get a new copy of your driver's license. Now you can order online. The internet and other technologies have even changed the way the state does business.

Oh, and NYC's revival in the 1990s wasn't just do to Giuliani and Pataki. Gingrich pushed welfare reform through Congress, and Clinton signed it. After the fall of the Soviet Union, you had a massive privatization of state owned companies around the world. And what American city was seen as the capital of finance? New York. So you had a boom economy and massive spending by the financial sector. That helped big time.

There's another reason why the unions will get their raises. Aside from people who are rich, public sector unions ARE New York's middle class. Teachers, cops, firemen, city clerks, courtroom clerks, sanitation, MTA workers, cuny professors,etc. The bulk of private sector jobs outside management or the corporate sector pay ****.

NYC is a city where you need to be rich, in a public sector union, or on welfare. Anything else is going to suck and be so unstable it is ridiculous. And you'll be living 8 or more people to an apartment.

and hopefully it wont be in one of Bloombergs "micro" apartment concepts

Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 PM

17,648 posts, read 29,812,648 times
the city will never be like it was back in the 70's, as real estate has taken over, that in itself keeps the city safe. people are living in theses mega million apartments, see what I am getting at.

so I dont think by having de blasio, wether he is good or bad, NY is never getting back to the 70's.

I believe it was Guiliani that took NYC gave it a good smack in the ass and got it to where it is today, and yes, as much as I cannot stand Bloombrg, he kept it going in the right direction, a bit much with the rules, but nonetheless.....

Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 PM

282 posts, read 382,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Sarcasm?????
Who knows?

At the very least it's evidence that poe's law applies to liberals.

This city needs another iron hand like giuliani. I'm deeply concerned De blasio may turn the city into an unliveable mess.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 PM

912 posts, read 2,009,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
Who knows?

This city needs another iron hand like giuliani. I'm deeply concerned De blasio may turn the city into an unliveable mess.
Then get out there and pound the pavement for Joe Lhota.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Then get out there and pound the pavement for Joe Lhota.
Why do you assume I'm not at least contributing to this cause?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:02 PM

25,539 posts, read 22,416,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
Who knows?

The city doesn't have enough old white men voters to get another Giuliani. That era is done.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 AM

^^^ "is" statements =/= "ought" statements (hume's law)

in the "ny subway is the dirtiest" thread it's been postulated that endemic trashiness of the population is to blame for city infrastructure falling apart. I guess that general level of irresponsibility now extends to (ab)use of voting privileges.
Ultimately, new yorkers get the city that they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City