U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM

2,503 posts, read 4,099,718 times

Advertisements

For those who claim NYC can never go back to the old dangerous, gritty days or close to it because the world is different than it was in the 70s and 80's, I have one word for you...DETROIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it can happen if you elect De Blasio as Mayor today as he will grant the union's request and bankrupt our city and/or raise our taxes high to make up the shortfall the City needs to pay off these Union thugs and their overly generous contracts. The middle class will get taxed the highest and be hurt the most by De Blasio. You've been warned!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,080 posts, read 50,408,221 times
Are Detroit's contracts more generous than NYC's? I suspect not. Detroit's problem is it has to pay for pensions for a city workforce that supported a city over the double the size of the current city. And it's broke, with few well-paying industries.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 AM

25,539 posts, read 22,416,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
For those who claim NYC can never go back to the old dangerous, gritty days or close to it because the world is different than it was in the 70s and 80's, I have one word for you...DETROIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it can happen if you elect De Blasio as Mayor today as he will grant the union's request and bankrupt our city and/or raise our taxes high to make up the shortfall the City needs to pay off these Union thugs and their overly generous contracts. The middle class will get taxed the highest and be hurt the most by De Blasio. You've been warned!
The middle class has largely fled NYC, and so have private sector middle class jobs (particularly in the corporate sector). The only middle class jobs LEFT are the PUBLIC SECTOR UNIONS. Everyone else is benefiting from some welfare program while working some low end private sector job, or is already rich.

So really, de Blasio would be just more of the same. And de Blasio is getting elected today.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,476,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post

So earlier in this thread, you got on the OP for being so hasty to reward De Blasio as best mayor ever and here you are making hasty judgements when he hasn't even started yet.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Are Detroit's contracts more generous than NYC's? I suspect not. Detroit's problem is it has to pay for pensions for a city workforce that supported a city over the double the size of the current city. And it's broke, with few well-paying industries.
Exactly the problem in NYC. It's actually worse. The Union thugs want a raise on their already inflated salaries because they say they haven't had a raise in 5 years (boo hoo...cry me a river) plus they want RETRO pay. In addition, you have pensions in the BILLIONS $$$ coming due that the City can not afford to pay because previous corrupt liberal politicians signed off and granted them such outrageous pensions.

So yes, NYC can easily become Detroit if we elect a Mayor such as De Blasio who caters to the Union thugs. He will give in to their demands and bankrupt our City. Garbage won't be collected, streets will be filthy and crime will rise. SOUND FAMILIAR? Sounds like 1977 all over again.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
So earlier in this thread, you got on the OP for being so hasty to reward De Blasio as best mayor ever and here you are making hasty judgements when he hasn't even started yet.
I'm basing my opinion on what De Blasio has mentioned publicly as well as the organizations he is close with such as ACORN, Working Families, Teacher's Union, etc.

Unless De Blasio is all TALK to get the backing of such groups and then does a 180 when elected and doesn't follow through on his campaign promises (highly unlikely) then chances are he will ruin NYC.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 AM

16,217 posts, read 21,957,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The middle class has largely fled NYC, and so have private sector middle class jobs (particularly in the corporate sector). The only middle class jobs LEFT are the PUBLIC SECTOR UNIONS. Everyone else is benefiting from some welfare program while working some low end private sector job, or is already rich.

So really, de Blasio would be just more of the same. And de Blasio is getting elected today.
I agree with this a 100 percent. NYC really needs a middle class.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM

15,254 posts, read 13,166,326 times
Agreed,

It's all still there if you look for it. Everyone involved, has just developed a bit of discretion, because if they do it too openly, the get busted. And since they've needed to be discrete, they level of violence and the negative impact on the overall community has dropped significantly.

The aggressive policing has also cut down dramatically on the number of other nuisance crimes. I've kept cars in the city for years but mostly post Giuliani. I've never had a car broken into or stolen. My older sister lived in Queens in the seventies. She had three cars stolen. Back in the day, I knew a number of people who'd been mugged on the street. I haven't heard of anyone I know being mugged in years.

If you think that if the cops back off, this crap won't start happening again, you're nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Any major club in Manhattan is full of drug dealers. They just have to act with discretion. The Bronx is certainly full of drug dealers. Weed is pretty common actually.

As for prostitution, most of that's gone online. And that's where it will stay, under phony massage services on craigslist and backpage. Why wall the streets when you can just place an add online? You are seriously naive if you think this disappeared under Bloomberg, and also naive if you think that this will all just run wild in the streets just because of an election.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 PM

25,539 posts, read 22,416,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Agreed,

It's all still there if you look for it. Everyone involved, has just developed a bit of discretion, because if they do it too openly, the get busted. And since they've needed to be discrete, they level of violence and the negative impact on the overall community has dropped significantly.

The aggressive policing has also cut down dramatically on the number of other nuisance crimes. I've kept cars in the city for years but mostly post Giuliani. I've never had a car broken into or stolen. My older sister lived in Queens in the seventies. She had three cars stolen. Back in the day, I knew a number of people who'd been mugged on the street. I haven't heard of anyone I know being mugged in years.

If you think that if the cops back off, this crap won't start happening again, you're nuts.
We can pretty much say De Blasio's elected. So do you have your bags packed to leave NYC?

As for the prostitution, you don't need stop and frisk to arrest people for street prostitution. Ditto for street drug dealing. You use undercover cops for that. Also, the federal judge's ruling (which has been appealed) did not ban stop and frisk. The judge said the cops would have to have evidence the person committed a crime, was in the act of committing a crime or about to commit a crime. Examples breaking into something, running away from a crime scene, or about to do a crime like having a crowbar outside a window or apartment building.

But if you truly think things will get that bad, then you should probably bail out of town. There's no point in staying.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,009,537 times
The new name for this thread is:

The Official de Blasio Victory Celebration Thread.

Pop the champagne we've got a new mayor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City