Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:04 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times

Advertisements

As NYC becomes more and more a city of minorities it will slowly find it becomes the nations Second Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 03:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
A few simplistic things I don't understand. With all the things / changes he talks about, it will obviously require more revenues. Cuomo already shot down further taxing of the rich. So where will that revenue come from? Taxes on everyone of course. Or a reduction in other services.

People are disillusioned if they don't think upper middle class (or very low end of wealthy) people leave the city. When making $250k either gets you an hour commute from a suburb or squeezed like a sardine on the subway paying half your income for a 2-br cookie-cutter apartment, and the quality of life drastically decreases, people leave. And then the domino effect begins.
This has already been happening for years, and certainly happened under Bloomberg. Upper Middle Class people have left the city. Living costs are unsustainable. And truthfully, a certain number of people who made it big have always LEFT NYC!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:14 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
As NYC becomes more and more a city of minorities it will slowly find it becomes the nations Second Detroit.
White Anglos are already down to about 30% ... I am not sure how much lower it could get.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If the polls right, DeBlasio will win the non-poor vote, perhaps they find "the tale of two cities tale" appealing.
Hahaha...you're confusing the "non-poor" vote for the union thugs who are "middle class".

Old 11-05-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never thought it was the job of the President or the mayor to move me up in the social classes or make me rich. I thought if I wanted those things, it was up to me to make them happen.

I voted for Obama, and I am perfectly fine with the way things are now. I voted for de Blasio too.
Well thats what the low informed voters think.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, if all the people on this forum who say they are going to leave NYC leave, then NYC will be even more liberal and de Blasio will get a second term!
I agree...liberals will be in heaven.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM

De Blasio wants to tax the rich but what most people don't know is that the majority of rich people especially the ones with businesses don't get taxed or get taxed very little. It's all written in the tax code. Therefore, what really happens is any tax on the rich ultimately gets passed on to the consumer via higher rents, higher food cost, higher cost of gas, higher insurance premiums and co-pays, etc. I'm sure you get the picture.

So all you idiots who get an orgasm when De Blasio said he will be taxing the rich and voted for him, you just voted to increase your own taxes! Way to go Libturds!!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Hahaha...you're confusing the "non-poor" vote for the union thugs who are "middle class".
exit polls show deBlasio won those making $100k+ 63% to 35%

New York City Mayor Exit Polls - 2013 Election Results - NYTimes.com

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
exit polls show deBlasio won those making $100k+ 63% to 35%

New York City Mayor Exit Polls - 2013 Election Results - NYTimes.com
Voters were tired of the Giuliani/Bloomberg era. Oh, and as for the middle class, the only middle class left in NYC is public sector unions. Particularly in places like the North Bronx, the people who can actually reasonably afford houses and cars (and pay apartment rents on time) are those in public sector unions. Those working standard private sector jobs often don't make enough and have some sort of government assistance. Its not like you have corporate execs and management who are willing to live in the Bronx.

So I don't know why you insist on attacking public sector unions when in all likelihood, those are the only non section 8 tenants you're likely to get in the Bronx long term.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM

16 posts, read 52,284 times
Cool I don't know want r u talking above it.

I been employed by City, and part of the Union. And I don't have subsidize apartment, or any apartment. Because I can't afforded. I'm as many of you paying taxes and did not get any greatness for past 10 yeas. I'm still renting room, not because I'm lazy and don't want to work, and just because i can afforded, even I'm having i full city job, and part time privet. And , no union, no Bloomberg, no any "program" are available for me. And I do love the NYC. And just wish I could pays my student loan, for two educations I took, and afford sleep under the roof, and have some food.....
And that what is reality of City worker....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City