Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:40 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times

Advertisements

The last time anyone saw 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo was October 4, when he left his Queens school. Now, nearly four weeks later, with his family still praying for his safe return (and the NYPD doubting that he's alive), a photograph showing a boy who looks like Avonte has surfaced.

The picture was taken on Tuesday afternoon, either on an E or F train, by a 13-year-old boy who asked, "Hey, are you Avonte?" But the boy didn't respond, which might be consistent with Avonte, who is autistic and doesn't communicate verbally. The Daily News reports, "He later posted the photo of a boy staring straight ahead and wearing a beige jacket and green khaki pants on his Facebook page, sources said. An administrator from the good Samaritan’s school saw the image and alerted police, who are investigating."
The News adds, "Around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, residents near the Woodhaven-Ozone Park border in Queens said NYPD cops from the 102 Precinct swarmed the area, and helicopters hovered above a Burger King on Atlantic Ave. 'We saw cops coming up by twos, going into every house on 92nd St. looking for security cameras,' said one resident, who declined to give her name."
Avonte has run away three other times, and each time he's been found in the subway system—prompting the MTA to assist with the search by enlisting workers to search the tracks and conductors asking riders if they've seen the boy. Avonte's mother Vanessa Fontaine said of the picture, "I don’t celebrate yet, but I’m saying keep hope alive. There’s hope there that it may be him," while Avonte's older brother Anthony Fontaine said, "We’ve seen a lot of photos turn out to be dead-ends and not him, but this one is like, probably the closest one... It’s like maybe a 65 percent chance, you know, a possibility. It fits the description a little bit. We’re hoping it’s him."
The reward for information leading to Avonte's safe return is now at $85,000. At the time he went missing, he was wearing a grey striped shirt, black jeans and black sneakers. He's 5'3" and about 125 pounds—and he cannot verbally communicate. Anyone with information in regards to this missing is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS. The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers Website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or texting their tips to 274637(CRIMES) then enter TIP577

Photo Taken Of Boy On Subway Sparks Hope About Missing Avonte Oquendo: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 07:49 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
Yeah ok, nice photoshopping job. Let's be realistic people. The kid is either dead or locked up in some family member's basement.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
That person isn't 5'3". The arms are way too long. I am 5'3" so I know.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
Was Avonte wearing those clothes when he ran off? I suppose its possible he is wandering the streets and living the way homeless people do--but a kid that young should have been noticed by now I would think.

Sadly, there is no shortage of evil people in the city who look for an opportunity to abduct a kid--especially one that can't speak.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,766,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Many teenage boys are all gangly arms and legs even when shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Was Avonte wearing those clothes when he ran off? I suppose its possible he is wandering the streets and living the way homeless people do--but a kid that young should have been noticed by now I would think.

Sadly, there is no shortage of evil people in the city who look for an opportunity to abduct a kid--especially one that can't speak.
No, he was not. He had on black jeans and a gray stripped shirt. No jacket.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Men/boys have longer hands.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
I don't think that's him. The ears don't match and that person seems to be too tall. Also, if the 13 year old said to him "Are you Avonte?" Wouldn't SOMEONE else on the train noticed?? Avonte isn't exactly a common name and the name has been in the media non stop for the past 3 weeks. Finally, wouldn't the 13 year old have had a drop of common sense to tell SOMEONE on the train? Or a cop? He took a photo instead and just went on his way and posted it to facebook? Doesn't make sense.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM

163 posts, read 484,929 times
This boy does resemble Avonte a lot, but this boy seems older.. what's weird to me is that no one in that train seemed to notice this boy..that is if this 13 year old kid really did ask him if he was avonte :-/

Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Men/boys have longer hands.
I said nothing about his hands. Someone 5'3" who has "long arms" (I have long limbs and a short torso) wouldn't have that long of arms. That person is not 5'3"

Old 10-31-2013, 09:47 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
NYPD is now saying that the photo IS NOT Avonte Oquendo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City