Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM

9 posts, read 15,283 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who may be moving up to the city at the same time I am. I would love to live with her but do y'all think that would be more expensive than just finding a sublet?
It seems like we'd have to find a new lease through a broker because I haven't seen any 2 person sublets. Any good ways my friend and I can end up living together? Take up a 3BR and find a third person? Or better to just grab a 2BR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM

302 posts, read 367,512 times
[quote=kittycatloafer;32095949]Here's the deal. I apologize in advance for the endless questions but I'm honestly clueless. I tried reading up but honestly sometimes just asking helps. Please answer as much or as little as you'd like. Every bit will help me. Don't be afraid to tell me I'm delusional either. Thanks so much in advance.

I'm female, mid-twenties moving from Dallas to Manhattan in January. I will be working in Midtown. My salary will probably be about $55k. I'll be in NYC next week for work and I have the chance to scout apartments. I know I can't lock anything down this far in advance, but I'd like to make use of my week up there wisely.

Monthly expenses:

I'm budgeting about 150 for transportation per month
300 for food/misc (this is probably too low, but honestly all I got).

Rent:
Would like to spend 1600/mo total on housing (1400 for rent/200 for utilities+internet)
I would like to live somewhere safe, close to subway with easy commute to midtown, and that will be good for someone in their 20s who's looking to have a little fun. I am expecting to have a roommate, maybe two to help with cost. Don't want to live outside Manhattan.

What about these neighborhoods?
Given my info above, please let me know which of these neighhorhoods might be a good fit for my budget and needs. Or let me know any thoughts opinions about these neighborhoods (sketchy, better for families, out of your price range, etc.)

- East Village
- Lower East Side
- Greenwich Village
- Murray Hill
- Alphabet City
- Stuy Town (Is this a 'lame' part of town?)
- West Village
- Upper east/west side (is this too far?)

HEY ! Welcome to NYC !
That said , don't expect to move to the West Village , Greenwich Vil. or E. Vil. Way too expensive !

Food cost can be tricky, you have to look for bargains .
If you have to live in Manhattan , forgettabout a car !

Try other websites besides Craigslist like this one to network , get some insight on how young New Yorkers are making it and living here . Especially if you plan to visit soon , they have meet n greet events all the time .

Welcome to the NYC Couchsurfing community! » UPCOMING EVENTS

Stuy town is nice and near cool spots E. Vil. , Lower E. side and Downtown but the apts. are very small .
Upper E. side or Murray Hill would probably be your best bet and it is a quick bus or subway ride to everything . The second ave. subway construction , however is a mess right now .

Hope you come with winter/snow /rain gear , we have all four seasons here . Good luck !

Old 11-06-2013, 10:55 AM

^ thank you so much! all very helpful advice. i will try to make it out to some networking events since i have a week up there.

What are good sites to find sublets besides Craigslist?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 PM

286 posts, read 552,862 times
I used to live and work in Manhattan, and was just there a few weeks ago staying with family in the Upper East Side.

NYC is basically a tale of two cities where the wealthy working in finance/insurance have made parts of Manhattan (Tribeca, Upper East Side and Upper West Side) their private Xanadu. Lots of homeless people on the streets and unemployed people who collect cans.

transportation is cheap if you exclusively ride the subway. Think it was $112/month, or $28/week, regardless it's much cheaper than operating an automobile. Riding the subway during peak hours (packed like a sardine can) or really anytime isn't pleasant, watch out for gropers and guys who like rubbing their exposed nuts on women, never saw it myself but it does happen.

There's also quite a few panhandling scam artists on the subway. The subway is often late or just skips stops a couple weeks ago the entire 4/5/6 downtown bound line was closed for 5+ hours during the day along the Upper East Side due to a police investigation, guessing a shooting in the Bronx or Harlem.

Didn't take long before I made use of a set of noise blocking earbuds everywhere outside due to the noise pollution on the subway, weirdo conversations, and unhappy drivers blaring their car horns in frustration. Never listened to music on them because I didn't want to risk getting run over, watch out for cyclists/Citi Bikes they don't pay attention to traffic lights and might run into you.

You might not like NYC, obviously I never did, make sure to at least have some sort of an exit plan back to Texas. NYC is harsh and can destroy people, $55k/yr won't go anywhere near as far when compared to Texas, be aware NYC life isn't slow paced or laid back. I found people in NYC inconsiderate, and pretty racist, overall I'd say most NYC folks are basically soulless care really only about themselves and focus their lives on money to pay for their high cost of living.

Outside of Battery Park City, NYC can be grimy, my guess was that Battery Park City was so much cleaner due to the lack of a subway terminal (until the one at the WTC if completed).

I did enjoy dining in NYC, went to two 3-star rated Michelin restaurants (don't have these in Texas) at the Time Warner Center. Also had the best donuts and smoothies there, really the only thing I missed about NYC was the amazing food.

If you workout gyms are more expensive. Think I pay $30/month for LA Fitness here and was paying $40/month for 24/hour Super Sport membership previously. Believe Lifetime Fitness here is $70/month far less than what I paid for Equinox in NYC.

Hope your experience is much better than the one I had, the city whooped me good and I was so grateful to be back in Texas.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM

99 posts, read 215,343 times
I think Brownsville or south Bronx is in you're budget

Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM

302 posts, read 367,512 times
Oh, I forgot to mention , get a NYC subway and bus map !! You can get them online ( nyc.gov ) . A map of Manhattan would also be a good thing to study .
Apps are available for them too , study them if you can in your spare time and by time you get here you won't look like a total doofus tourist = mark .
Pay attention to Jaque Costos' post , it's mostly true , NYs' ARE in a hurry to wherever / whatever and don't have time for chit chat .

That other stuff depends on your attitude and who you run into .

Old 11-07-2013, 03:47 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,192,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycatloafer View Post
I do $300 a month and but a mostly natural and organic products so it's do able. But I'm also a very smart shopping, been here for years and go out of my way to certain store to buy certain things to save.
$400 would be better and allow you more flexibility.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I do $300 a month and but a mostly natural and organic products so it's do able. But I'm also a very smart shopping, been here for years and go out of my way to certain store to buy certain things to save.
Good to know it's not totally absurd. But I do need to find a way to allocate more money to that area to have some breathing room.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,036,799 times
Quote:

Im bugeting about 150 for transportation per month

Rent:
Would like to spend 1600/mo total on housing (1400 for rent/200 for utilities+internet)
I would like to live somewhere safe, close to subway with easy commute to midtown, and that will be good for someone in their 20s who's looking to have a little fun. I am expecting to have a roommate, maybe two to help with cost. Don't want to live outside Manhattan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycatloafer View Post
Good to know it's not totally absurd. But I do need to find a way to allocate more money to that area to have some breathing room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
The big question is what is included in "misc"?

Old 11-08-2013, 03:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,192,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
I used to live and work in Manhattan, and was just there a few weeks ago staying with family in the Upper East Side.

NYC is basically a tale of two cities where the wealthy working in finance/insurance have made parts of Manhattan (Tribeca, Upper East Side and Upper West Side) their private Xanadu. Lots of homeless people on the streets and unemployed people who collect cans.

transportation is cheap if you exclusively ride the subway. Think it was $112/month, or $28/week, regardless it's much cheaper than operating an automobile. Riding the subway during peak hours (packed like a sardine can) or really anytime isn't pleasant, watch out for gropers and guys who like rubbing their exposed nuts on women, never saw it myself but it does happen.

There's also quite a few panhandling scam artists on the subway. The subway is often late or just skips stops a couple weeks ago the entire 4/5/6 downtown bound line was closed for 5+ hours during the day along the Upper East Side due to a police investigation, guessing a shooting in the Bronx or Harlem.

Didn't take long before I made use of a set of noise blocking earbuds everywhere outside due to the noise pollution on the subway, weirdo conversations, and unhappy drivers blaring their car horns in frustration. Never listened to music on them because I didn't want to risk getting run over, watch out for cyclists/Citi Bikes they don't pay attention to traffic lights and might run into you.

You might not like NYC, obviously I never did, make sure to at least have some sort of an exit plan back to Texas. NYC is harsh and can destroy people, $55k/yr won't go anywhere near as far when compared to Texas, be aware NYC life isn't slow paced or laid back. I found people in NYC inconsiderate, and pretty racist, overall I'd say most NYC folks are basically soulless care really only about themselves and focus their lives on money to pay for their high cost of living.

Outside of Battery Park City, NYC can be grimy, my guess was that Battery Park City was so much cleaner due to the lack of a subway terminal (until the one at the WTC if completed).

I did enjoy dining in NYC, went to two 3-star rated Michelin restaurants (don't have these in Texas) at the Time Warner Center. Also had the best donuts and smoothies there, really the only thing I missed about NYC was the amazing food.

If you workout gyms are more expensive. Think I pay $30/month for LA Fitness here and was paying $40/month for 24/hour Super Sport membership previously. Believe Lifetime Fitness here is $70/month far less than what I paid for Equinox in NYC.

Hope your experience is much better than the one I had, the city whooped me good and I was so grateful to be back in Texas.
Thank God you left. Don't need yet another bitter Ny-er living here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City