Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

https://www.amny.com/news/homeless-outreach-1.15756778

De Blasio was finally forced to address the massive number of homeless in the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times
This is a good thing. Whatever keeps them on the streets, whether not having any money, not knowing anyone who can help them, being to afraid to ask for help, an illness, substance abuse, or whatever else. People deserve a warm place to be in this cold.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times
shouldn't they have social workers do this instead?

Old 01-18-2018, 08:17 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
shouldn't they have social workers do this instead?
When I used to do this work it was paraprofessionals supervised by social workers. We would also work alongside cops sometimes and go out together

Old 01-19-2018, 03:24 PM

251 posts, read 203,909 times
I don't notice the effect. Still see at least one per day stinking up a whole subway car.

Need to re-open Creedmore mental health facility.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:56 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,610,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
This is a good thing. Whatever keeps them on the streets, whether not having any money, not knowing anyone who can help them, being to afraid to ask for help, an illness, substance abuse, or whatever else. People deserve a warm place to be in this cold.
It's a nice thought, but my fear is it's not going to go very far. The people who are homeless due to circumstance tend to utilize the city's resources at hand. The overwhelming majority of the ones camped out in the subway are mentally ill and no amount of help is going to get them off those trains. The only reason other subways don't have this issue is they close at night. If they didn't they'd be just as bad, yes even in Europe.

That photo of the guy under the seats got everyone riled up about this issue. However, the reality is that people in their right mind, no matter how poor they are, wouldn't do that. He clearly was mentally ill. I know I sound cruel, but there's simply no legal solution to the issue. People have a right to live as free citizens even if they don't have the mental facilities to do so.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:11 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,298,653 times
I saw my first homeless encapment (like the ones in LA) today in an open lot/median in South Ozone park. I was astonished! I hope this is not signs of things to come. Outdoor homeless camps may work in LA where it is mild year round. This is not the case in NYC. People will freeze to death. I hope someone is not that committed to living in NYC that they would put their life on the line like that.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:01 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,227 times
years ago a homeless guy froze to death by pathmark. a group of them would camp near the parking lot.
once you are homeless its impossible to get back on your feet.
this program is going to fail.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
It's a nice thought, but my fear is it's not going to go very far. The people who are homeless due to circumstance tend to utilize the city's resources at hand. The overwhelming majority of the ones camped out in the subway are mentally ill and no amount of help is going to get them off those trains. The only reason other subways don't have this issue is they close at night. If they didn't they'd be just as bad, yes even in Europe.

That photo of the guy under the seats got everyone riled up about this issue. However, the reality is that people in their right mind, no matter how poor they are, wouldn't do that. He clearly was mentally ill. I know I sound cruel, but there's simply no legal solution to the issue. People have a right to live as free citizens even if they don't have the mental facilities to do so.
Not if they are a threat to other people. Some of these mentally ill people can be dangerous to other people, or they can do stuff like urinate and defecate in public, even on the train. If they are suicidal or homicidal they have to be institutionalized.

Homeless people have pushed people on the tracks.

A number of homeless people do indeed get off the streets, with help from social services. Sometimes they are able to work things out with their families (yes, even those suffering from so called mental illness which is a broad and vague term).

If homeless numbers in the city get too big they frighten off tourists and people with money. So government intervention is definitely necessary.

As for the numbers of homeless, while there are homeless in Europe, nowhere near the levels of NYC and Los Angeles. Manilla, Phillipines is the world's homeless capital. NYC is number two, and Los Angeles is number 3.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
years ago a homeless guy froze to death by pathmark. a group of them would camp near the parking lot.
once you are homeless its impossible to get back on your feet.
this program is going to fail.
This is completely false. Plenty of homeless people have gotten back on their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: