U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM

12 posts, read 22,256 times

Advertisements

I was just curious because I keep hearing mixed things about both neighborhoods. I know they're getting popular with people looking to live in Manhattan without superhigh rent. I'm not too familiar with either neighborhood but the few times I've been they seem like decent neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 PM

34,945 posts, read 34,271,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by made_of_sound View Post
I was just curious because I keep hearing mixed things about both neighborhoods. I know they're getting popular with people looking to live in Manhattan without superhigh rent. I'm not too familiar with either neighborhood but the few times I've been they seem like decent neighborhoods.
The usual advice is stay west of Broadway. By this point, probably staying within two blocks of Broadway if you go east of it is probably decent, too. Most importantly, if you find a place you like, check the area at different times of day and different days of the week to see what it's like.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-06-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 AM

34,945 posts, read 34,271,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Stallion View Post
Unless you're dominican, like drug wars, loud bachata and loitering in front of you're building stay out of Washington heights
That became less and less true starting about a decade ago, and it's completely untrue once you go west of Fort Washington Avenue. Generally idea is that it's pretty good west of Broadway, but given the pace of gentrification there, even slightly east of Broadway is alright in parts.

The one thing that's weird is how little Yeshiva University being there does in bringing amenities into the neighborhood.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM

5,272 posts, read 8,008,602 times
West of Broadway generally is the best place to live in Hamilton and Washington Heights. One exception to that, however, is some of the blocks west of Broadway in the 160s, which seem to me to have a noticably low QOL. But it cleans up quite a bit once you get to the hospital at 165th street.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,346,923 times
It's a block to block kind of a thing.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That became less and less true starting about a decade ago, and it's completely untrue once you go west of Fort Washington Avenue. Generally idea is that it's pretty good west of Broadway, but given the pace of gentrification there, even slightly east of Broadway is alright in parts.

The one thing that's weird is how little Yeshiva University being there does in bringing amenities into the neighborhood.
Area would probably need to be rezoned somewhat for that to happen.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 11-07-2013 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 12:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,501,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's a block to block kind of a thing.
Yes, you have to go walk around to get a sense really. Can't draw exact boundaries.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 PM

420 posts, read 930,331 times
East of Broadway is generally safer in Washington Heights and Inwood and both of which are starting to gentrify as many have noticed over the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Yes, you have to go walk around to get a sense really. Can't draw exact boundaries.
Generally agree but there seems to be sharp boundaries in Hudson Heights, which is an enclave neighborhood west of Broadway from the Cloisters down to around 175th Street. Walking along 181st the area changes once you venture east of Broadway (Washington Heights) On the other side of Broadway there's higher rents and much more recently arrived affluent transplants than the nearby blocks east. It's also noticeable when taking the A train at 181st and 190th Street. Of course Hudson Heights is reportedly one of the most part of Upper Manhattan historically so it's a chicken or the egg question.

Same seems to be true with Inwood east of Broadway too where a Starbucks is about to open at 200th St and Broadway

Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Washington Heights and Inwood have always been mixed income areas. It wouldn't be quite fair to say they are gentrifying. I guess you could say the parts that were traditionally lower income are starting to gentrify a bit.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 33,308 times
It's a block by block thing, but you do have to be comfortable with living with people from the whole range of the socio-economic wheel. There are a lot of hard working poor Latino families. There are musicians, artists, actors, and professors. Drug dealers, drug users, drunks, and crazies. It's a colorful class of characters and you have to be comfortable living with them in the community. No ones going to bother you, many are polite and accommodating, but they live here- as they do in most of the city. If you like to shield yourself from humanity and it's suffering (and occasional joy)- washington heights is not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City