Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:55 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

If it's the same as legends in west village, then I'd say it's surprisingly good and authentic. No spot on, but still an admirable effort. My rec for most authentic sichuan in manhattan is lan sheng in midtown though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Mmmmm....greasy, greasy, GREASY...YUMM.

I know that I have had authentic Cantonese when I have chest pains afterward from the MSG (Chinese Restaurant Syndrome BIG TIME.)

But I prefer the fires of REAL Szechuan food...almost impossible to find these days because of the millions of doofy t*ats saying over and over "Oh, NOT TOO HOT," "Oh, that's SOOO spicy."
<They don't call it Flaming Hot Carp for nothing, hon.?>

I know I had authentic Szechuan (or Indian for that matter) when the back of my head is dripping wet at the end of the meal.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 AM

912 posts, read 2,099,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Mmmmm....greasy, greasy, GREASY...YUMM.

I know that I have had authentic Cantonese when I have chest pains afterward from the MSG (Chinese Restaurant Syndrome BIG TIME.)

But I prefer the fires of REAL Szechuan food...almost impossible to find these days because of the millions of doofy t*ats saying over and over "Oh, NOT TOO HOT," "Oh, that's SOOO spicy."
<They don't call it Flaming Hot Carp for nothing, hon.?>

I know I had authentic Szechuan (or Indian for that matter) when the back of my head is dripping wet at the end of the meal.
You've been eating at the wrong Chinese restaurants

Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
Spicy and Tasty in Flushing is great. It's said to be authentic.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:43 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
You've been eating at the wrong Chinese restaurants
He's right about Cantonese food and MSG.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 AM

912 posts, read 2,099,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
He's right about Cantonese food and MSG.
I eat Cantonese at Imperial Palace and Sifu Chio, I don't notice MSG

Old 11-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
If you had Chinese Restaurant Syndrome you might well notice it. On the other hand the doofs who want to MAKE BELIEVE they are eating authentic but want to Americanize everything to bland are in the chorus of "NO MSG" please and some restaurants will comply $$$$.
I mean I have actually heard someone order Chicken in Garlic Sauce and ask for NO GARLIC.

Authentic Cantonese uses MSG liberally.

What's next, Sauce Bolognese but hold the tomatoes?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Neither did I when I was younger and would eat a lot of it while on assignment in ASEAN and Hong Kong. But the older I got, the more sensitive I became to MSG and I got dizzy eating the yang chow and salted fish rice.

The Mandarin Oriental in Manila touted that its Cantonese dishes had no MSG and excess sodium. They were right. Whenever I ate there on business functions I could tell their Cantonese dishes had almost no taste whatsoever.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:48 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
but do any of these restaurants beat Chengdu 1 in cedar grove, NJ?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Neither did I when I was younger and would eat a lot of it while on assignment in ASEAN and Hong Kong. But the older I got, the more sensitive I became to MSG and I got dizzy eating the yang chow and salted fish rice.

The Mandarin Oriental in Manila touted that its Cantonese dishes had no MSG and excess sodium. They were right. Whenever I ate there on business functions I could tell their Cantonese dishes had almost no taste whatsoever.

My OLD OLD OLD haunt was and still is occasionally Wo-Hop down in the cellar. After every meal I would get chest pains climbing the steps. They would last about 20 minutes. The first dozen times it scared me but now it's "Yep, the old Lo-Mein attack."

I USE MSG in my own cooking but by the pinch and never get CRS so I know that when I get it from a restaurant they must use an IMMENSE amount.

I am a decent diagnostician and over the years I have decided that the cause must be a clamping down of arteries in the heart, lungs and brain probably caused by glutamic acid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City