Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:52 PM

225 posts, read 382,969 times

Advertisements

We have been renting apartments and houses for 20 years (none in NYC) and have never been requested to provide proof of income, or a credit check or a back round check.

We have never rented through third party management company, always an individual that asked for a deposit, and then we signed a lease.

How does someone find this in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 05:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
You don't.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
We have been renting apartments and houses for 20 years (none in NYC) and have never been requested to provide proof of income, or a credit check or a back round check.

We have never rented through third party management company, always an individual that asked for a deposit, and then we signed a lease.

It's close to impossible. People have been screwed over too many times and now everyone wants not only income verification but credit checks as well.

You'd be very lucky to just happen to walk by a house or building with an "Apartment for Rent" sign in the window.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 PM

257 posts, read 684,921 times
this company helps with this type of thing. I know they do this fr foreigners. I think its about $3K. They still need you to have good credit and money in the bank. just maybe not income verification. http://www.insurent.com/

Old 11-10-2013, 06:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
NYC is very tenant friendly, which means landlords have a hard time evicting people who don't pay. Therefore landlords tend to be very picky about who they rent to. And they can be picky, because the vacancy rate is so low. So expect to be asked for income verification and credit score.

Is there some reason those two things would be a problem for you?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post

Go on craigslist. You can find this sort of rental situation more in the outer boroughs, and more in neighborhoods where there are lots of immigrants.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 PM

It amazes me that in a city FULL of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS people pretend that all landlords do tight credit checks. A lot of people DON'T. In terms of renting out houses and portions of houses in the outer boroughs, yes, you can easily do that without credit checks or paperwork. You may very well need referrals from people you know.

So to the OP's question, you most easily find this through a friend or relative. Don't know anyone? Try on craigslist, but the qualify of the places may leave much to be desired.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It amazes me that in a city FULL of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS people pretend that all landlords do tight credit checks. A lot of people DON'T. In terms of renting out houses and portions of houses in the outer boroughs, yes, you can easily do that without credit checks or paperwork. You may very well need referrals from people you know.

So to the OP's question, you most easily find this through a friend or relative. Don't know anyone? Try on craigslist, but the qualify of the places may leave much to be desired.
If you're a landlord renting to illegal immigrants, maybe you wouldn't be as worried about getting them out if they don't pay the rent. Just threaten that you will call ICE to report them and they will pay up.

And just for curiosity's sake -- how do you know how many landlords are doing credit and employer checks? I will admit that I don't know, but what I gather from what I've read on this board and what some friends have gone through is that if you are moving from somewhere else in the US and expect to rent someplace decent, it is highly recommended that you have your paperwork in order. It seems to me to be irresponsible to tell people on this board (e.g. people moving from Florida) that there are plenty of landlords who rent to people without this type of paperwork.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:26 AM

225 posts, read 382,969 times
FYI- with all the identity theft issues going on these days, giving out my Social Security number to ANYONE is something I just won´t do. I don´t want to give it out to get my own credit report either.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you're a landlord renting to illegal immigrants, maybe you wouldn't be as worried about getting them out if they don't pay the rent. Just threaten that you will call ICE to report them and they will pay up.

And just for curiosity's sake -- how do you know how many landlords are doing credit and employer checks? I will admit that I don't know, but what I gather from what I've read on this board and what some friends have gone through is that if you are moving from somewhere else in the US and expect to rent someplace decent, it is highly recommended that you have your paperwork in order. It seems to me to be irresponsible to tell people on this board (e.g. people moving from Florida) that there are plenty of landlords who rent to people without this type of paperwork.
Its not irresponsible. The OP asked if its possible to get an apartment without going through all the credit check process. And its possible, very possible. She (or he) may have to live where there's a lot of immigrants, but if the OP doesn't mind, its easily doable. Especially if its a portion of a house that the OP wants to rent.

Btw, plenty of Americans with bad credit get apartments in NYC as well. It won't be in the trendiest of locations, mind you. But it happens.

So to answer the OP's question, this is most easily done through friends/people you know. If you don't know anyone in NYC, check out the ads on craigslist in the parts of the city that have lots of immigrants. Specify you won't deal with brokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City