Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:16 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
FYI- with all the identity theft issues going on these days, giving out my Social Security number to ANYONE is something I just won´t do. I don´t want to give it out to get my own credit report either.
Good luck with that then buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
We have been renting apartments and houses for 20 years (none in NYC) and have never been requested to provide proof of income, or a credit check or a back round check.

We have never rented through third party management company, always an individual that asked for a deposit, and then we signed a lease.

How does someone find this in NYC?
I would not do it. It is bad business to take people at their word.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I am sure you can find a landlord who will accept your money. All it takes is a couple months of an empty apartment to have them stop looking for Jaimie Dimon as a tenant.

Remember, it was not too long ago that banks were giving MORTGAGES for hundreds of thousands without requiring paperwork.

It's an ebb and flow based on the vacancy rate.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Its not irresponsible. The OP asked if its possible to get an apartment without going through all the credit check process. And its possible, very possible. She (or he) may have to live where there's a lot of immigrants, but if the OP doesn't mind, its easily doable. Especially if its a portion of a house that the OP wants to rent.

Btw, plenty of Americans with bad credit get apartments in NYC as well. It won't be in the trendiest of locations, mind you. But it happens.

So to answer the OP's question, this is most easily done through friends/people you know. If you don't know anyone in NYC, check out the ads on craigslist in the parts of the city that have lots of immigrants. Specify you won't deal with brokers.
Well, she's not talking about bad credit. She's talking about not giving any paperwork or any info on herself whatsoever. My point is that when someone comes on here asking for a thing that is possible but not likely or difficult to find, that that should be made very clear.

Like if someone says they want to find an $800 apartment in Queens or Brooklyn. Ok, possible. But difficult to find. And if it does happen, it's going to be very limiting in terms of location or quality of neighborhood.

Also, you didn't answer my question about whether you actually know how many landlords are doing credit checks and income verification and how many aren't. Probably you didn't answer it because you don't know. Did you yourself do an apartment search while refusing to give any info about your credit or your income? If so, share your experience.

Lastly, telling someone who is moving from out of state to come here and accomplish something through "friends" isn't really all that helpful, unless the person is from here originally or has significant contacts through a new job or education program, AND has a lot of time to spend networking and asking around.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
OP, while I understand your concern, that is not a valid reason to disregard potential risk that is associated with such tenants. Basically, a Landlord is taking you at your word and that isn't enough. As an owner, there's no way I would rent out any space in my home to someone whose background I can't verify. Unless you prepay the 12 months.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
As a landlord in the Bronx, I would never rent to anyone without verifying their income, checking their credit and criminal background. Thats just standard policy. Can't understand why any landlord wouldn't check those things. They are some important.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As an owner, there's no way I would rent out any space in my home to someone whose background I can't verify. Unless you prepay the 12 months.
Even then, that can be a messy situation for a landlord. Because what happens at the end of the 12 months? Tenant can just stay and stop paying and force the landlord to go through a lengthy eviction process.

Also, if I am a landlord and have a potential tenant who refuses to give any background info, that's a red flag to me and I would move on to the next candidate. It would be a different story if I were considering a foreign professional who shows me a letter of employment but simply doesn't have a US credit history due to never having the opportunity to generate one. At least then you'd know you're dealing with someone who is responsible enough to get a good job in the US.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you're a landlord renting to illegal immigrants, maybe you wouldn't be as worried about getting them out if they don't pay the rent. Just threaten that you will call ICE to report them and they will pay up.

And just for curiosity's sake -- how do you know how many landlords are doing credit and employer checks? I will admit that I don't know, but what I gather from what I've read on this board and what some friends have gone through is that if you are moving from somewhere else in the US and expect to rent someplace decent, it is highly recommended that you have your paperwork in order. It seems to me to be irresponsible to tell people on this board (e.g. people moving from Florida) that there are plenty of landlords who rent to people without this type of paperwork.

I completely agree! I was looking for a place last year and every single (decent) place wanted income verification and a credit check (meaning THEY run your credit; not you bringing your credit report).

I'm curious as to why the OP doesn't want to provide income verification? That seems to be the most simple thing to provide.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
FYI- with all the identity theft issues going on these days, giving out my Social Security number to ANYONE is something I just won´t do. I don´t want to give it out to get my own credit report either.

An income verification doesn't require your Social Security number. Most paystubs do not have your Soc Sec number on them and, if they do, simply black it out when you make the copies. As for W2s, you can provide copies with your SSN blocked out.

You're going to have a very hard time finding a decent place without providing some kind of verification of income or credit worthiness.

A friend of mine told me that some places, in lieu of credit checks/income verifications, will accept the entire lease term rent as well as a six month deposit. This will protect the landlord --- they get their entire 12-24 months' rent and have a 6 month fallback in case the tenant decides not to vacate at the end or whatever. However, these tenants were usually people from overseas who used the apartments as a pied-a-terre (however you spell it) or for people who travelled back and forth in the US (like business people, people in the entertainment industry, etc)

Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
If you want to live anywhere decent in NYC, you are going to have to give them both your social security number and your credit report. If you refuse to budge on this then you are likely not going to get an acceptable home.

Where in the city are you looking to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City