Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the skiing better near NYC (Catskill Region) or near LA (San Bernardino Mts)
NYC 1 7.14%
LA 13 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 AM

8,642 posts, read 11,011,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller123 View Post
when I am asking about California tahoe and Mammoth are out of the picture since they are too far away from LA for a daytrip. So saying that I was wondering how the resorts near (~2~3) hours from los angeles compare to resorts within the same time distance from NYC
only thing east coast has is day trips. Even that isn't all that

I've flown out to SLC countless of times for a 3 day weekend. I've virtually given up on VT/NH/ME...that 6-10 hr drive just gotten old for me.

Something about that Mammoth drive seems extremely dull for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:47 PM

25,363 posts, read 36,908,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

I've flown out to SLC countless of times for a 3 day weekend. I've virtually given up on VT/NH/ME...that 6-10 hr drive just gotten old for me.

Oh me too, the drive was hatelful.

But we always held off til a long weekend and stayed at a fun lodge and skied all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Our ski club rented a bus and all we did for the trip up and back was DRINK and SING (oh those poor bus drivers.)

But even I was a bit stir crazy if we tried all the way up to STOWE.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,520,840 times
Here is my ski/snowboard gem.

We all know Hunter is a madhouse on the weekends.
However, if you stay on Hunter West, it is literally empty. It is all black/double black with high speed quad, but since most of the crowds stay on blues/greens as your average skier/snowboarder sucks, it is virutally empty. No waiting on long lift lines.
Hunter West is where its at.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM

290 posts, read 686,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

But a flight from JFK to SLC is a little more than 4 hours (not counting all the time getting to the airport & going through security), then you have to exit the airport in SLC, get a rental car and, depending where you go exactly, drive a couple hours to get there. So it ends up being a 6-8 trek in the end..and much more expensive. But I guess for the better snow it's worth it..?

I came across a groupon the other day for a nice-priced ski lift offer at a mountain by the name of Spring Mountain on the PA side..ever heard of it or bee there? Thoughts are it's pretty crappy which is why there's a groupon for it, but was just curious..since it is only like 2-2.5 hrs away.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM

2,591 posts, read 3,376,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Here is my ski/snowboard gem.

We all know Hunter is a madhouse on the weekends.
However, if you stay on Hunter West, it is literally empty. It is all black/double black with high speed quad, but since most of the crowds stay on blues/greens as your average skier/snowboarder sucks, it is virutally empty. No waiting on long lift lines.
Hunter West is where its at.
Hunter west is very steep and always icy. On top of that its only 3-4 small runs. You will get bored in less than an hour on that side of the mountain. You're better off driving an extra hour to Mount Snow instead. That way you have a lot more runs to chose from.

If you really want to have fun at Hunter or any other mountain on the east coast just go on the weekdays. Take a couple of days off of work, get a couple of friends together and take a trip up to the mountain. Every time I go on a weekend trip I end up regretting it. The mountain is crowded, the lines are long, lodging is hard to find and costs a lot more and lift tickets are at full price. It gets frustrating real quick. I'm done doing weekend trips.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 PM

8,642 posts, read 11,011,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
But a flight from JFK to SLC is a little more than 4 hours (not counting all the time getting to the airport & going through security), then you have to exit the airport in SLC, get a rental car and, depending where you go exactly, drive a couple hours to get there. So it ends up being a 6-8 trek in the end..and much more expensive. But I guess for the better snow it's worth it..?

I came across a groupon the other day for a nice-priced ski lift offer at a mountain by the name of Spring Mountain on the PA side..ever heard of it or bee there? Thoughts are it's pretty crappy which is why there's a groupon for it, but was just curious..since it is only like 2-2.5 hrs away.
30 min rule. 30 min to a hotel that is less than $100. then 30 min to the slopes. Better snow. No lines. No crowds in the mountain. Better vertical drops, high altitude. Superior snow condition. Food can be pretty cheap too. Biggest risk is plane delays and airlines potentially losing your ski/snowboard drama. Other downer is there is zero nightlife

VT is usually 4.5-7 hr drive. I like Jay peak but that is pushing 7 hrs. I driven as far as Tremblant which is about 8 hrs plus drive. I also driven to sunday river in ME which is quite a hike. Problem is most people have to tack on another 1-2 hr of rush hour traffic on Friday and dinner pit stops.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
You're better off driving an extra hour to Mount Snow instead.
The NORTH slopes of Mount Snow can be a bit more of an interesting challenge than all the other bunny slopes. Hey it was good enough for me to rip my arm completely out of it's socket.

(On site clinic rocks with some good drugs, X-ray machine, talented staff, etc.)

But the crowds are a chore on weekends...lift waits are long.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-16-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,264,541 times
Vermont can hold its own. It's more about the glades. Thing is its risky to have a planned trip, got to be on call. If it snows a lot, you go.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,316,768 times
Out west is best!!!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM

Nothing like skiing powder but being 2000-3000 miles away from it is a distinct turnoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City