Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 12,938 times

Advertisements

Hi all, came across this great forum and would like some advice.
My girlfriend and I are looking for a 1 bedroom in NY. We're both late 20s, working professionals. Our interests are the nightlife (assuming w village and meatpacking district?), stuff to do (gym, swimming, yoga, art classes, pottery, book clubs, cooking...), restaurants and other types of 'young' entertainment.
Looking at the profile above.. which area would you recommend?

We've been looking around Chelsea, West Village and a little bit of lower Hells Kitchen. We recently identified an apartment we very much like which is located on 34th St between 9th and 10th avenues. My questions are:
-Is this gonna be safe at night? Ie - is it far enough from the Chelsea projects and from Port Authority? Anything else?
-How easy / safe will it be to get to nightlife - for example, can we walk to meatpacking district or would that be too dangerous from there?
-Is there an availability of things to do, or would we have to jump on the train to go places?
-How good is the bus that runs on 34th street? Does it get stuck in ultra congested traffic all the time?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:59 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,852,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0zef View Post
My girlfriend and I are looking for a 1 bedroom in NY. We're both late 20s, working professionals. Our interests are the nightlife (assuming w village and meatpacking district?), stuff to do (gym, swimming, yoga, art classes, pottery, book clubs, cooking...), restaurants and other types of 'young' entertainment.

We've been looking around Chelsea, West Village and a little bit of lower Hells Kitchen. We recently identified an apartment we very much like which is located on 34th St between 9th and 10th avenues. My questions are:
-Is this gonna be safe at night? Ie - is it far enough from the Chelsea projects and from Port Authority? Anything else?
-How easy / safe will it be to get to nightlife - for example, can we walk to meatpacking district or would that be too dangerous from there?
-Is there an availability of things to do, or would we have to jump on the train to go places?
-How good is the bus that runs on 34th street? Does it get stuck in ultra congested traffic all the time?

Thanks all!
Have you lived in NYC before? I just ask because you seem to think your social life will revolve around the meatpacking district, which will be a quick way to spend all of your money. It's also become a big tourist/bridge and tunnel scene on the weekend, which isn't very fun IMO.

I wouldn't live on 34th between 9th and 10th. There is literally nothing to do there. I work in that area. There are a lot of weirdos who hang around there as well. Good access to trains. And yes the traffic in that area is horrible.

You don't mention a budge?

Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 AM

Thanks for the response!
I've lived in the bronx for ~10 years and currently live in NJ. While I am not attached to the meatpacking district, from what I've read the social scene revolves around W Village or Meatpacking - MD is closer to this 34th location.

Our budget is 2500 for a 1br, Ive been looking extensively in Chelsea and a little bit of W Village - walking around with brokers etc. I saw some pretty good places in W Village but nothing that fits all of my criteria. Any other input would be appreciated!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,214,868 times
That block and much of the area around it is dead dull. Think of it for sleeping only.
No, you would not want to walk the mile to the MeatPacking District too often. It really is a distasteful ripoff anyway.

West Village would probably suit you best avoiding only Christopher Street for an apartment choice.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:28 AM

9,252 posts, read 24,132,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0zef View Post

Thanks all!
Weird area to live.Wouldn't even call it a neighborhood.There must be shelters or some kind of indigent/mentally ill housing or methadone clinics around there because there are always a lot of strange people around.Plenty of drug dealing and prostitution too.It's kinda "sketchy" at night.It can feel like night of the living dead.

I would much prefer to live right across the street from the Chelsea projects that you seem to want to avoid and Chelsea is not one of my favorite neighborhoods by any stretch.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-12-2013 at 05:37 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 05:48 AM

912 posts, read 2,104,738 times
Meatpacking District is for clowns and dweebs

Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM

It sounds like I should try to find something in West Village. I read a lot of bad stuff about Christopher Street. Does that usually spill over to the nearby areas? For example, there were some good apartments on Perry Street and Thompson street. Would those be good?
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 AM

988 posts, read 3,261,424 times
No, you should try looking at the East Village or Lower East Side for better nightlife, restaurants, and a place within your budget. In the 30s west of 8th(or 5th for that matter) is full of tourists, homeless, addicts, commuters, and there isn't much over there yet until the Hudson Yards is completed in 5-10 years. I live there and will move when our lease is up.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,578 times
I saw some pretty good places in W Village but nothing that fits all of my criteria. Any other input would be appreciated!http://www.qmyksawayaa.com/06.jpg

Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,275,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeroly View Post
I saw some pretty good places in W Village but nothing that fits all of my criteria. Any other input would be appreciated!
I think you might have to compromise on your criteria a little if you're budget is $2500 a month for a 1 bedroom in these neighborhoods--that's actually getting to be the price of a studio. Although the West Village sounds like your ideal neighborhood you could also find a place in West Chelsea that would still put you at easy walking distance to the meatpacking district.

As far as projects go, those in Chelsea are relatively safe and quiet. I'll only avoid walking right in front of them if its 2am. The West Village itself has experienced an uptick in crime and has had a few violent confrontations so I don't think you'd necessarily be safer there. Relative to other parts of the city though the West Village and Chelsea are on the safer side.

The 34th street place you mentioned isn't a terrible location--just a little less developed. It seems like if people aren't surrounded by glass condo buildings people get nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City