Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thee are working class whites of English, British, Scots-Irish and so forth all over the USA in particular the Eastern seaboard from Maine right on through to Virginia.
Yes, I didn't think NYC had many in the last 100 years. I don't think Long Island has many (grew up there).

Last edited by nei; 11-15-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,439,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, I didn't NYC had many in the last 100 years. I don't think Long Island has many (grew up there).
New York City once was a busy port, that meant tons of jobs for everything from longshoremen to those that worked on ships. There were also the rail roads and a host of other trades/skilled labour that men like Archie Bunker (likely with only a high school education) land. Then there was construction, manufacturing and so forth.

All these were union shops and they generally took care of their own. If you've seen the film "On The Waterfront', you know what I mean.

A man like AB could work on the docks making a good living, own a house, raise his family and have a secure retirement.

Starting around the 1970's all that began to change. Jobs moved elsewhere in the country or shut down, and also the civil rights movement and subsequent laws forced unions to open things up.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 AM

87,993 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Stallion View Post
We're all in Jorsey
Middletown, to be exact. Everyone on my friend's street seems to be from either Staten Island or Brooklyn. You can tell the difference by their yards--the Brooklynites pack theirs with statues and lawn ornaments. And check out the backup from the Outerbridge Crossing to the GSP on holidays when they all go home to visit Grandma.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:18 AM

87,993 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Laughing a little at the title, because certain of my grandparents, long dead, would have been shocked that Italians are considered white.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Middletown, to be exact. Everyone on my friend's street seems to be from either Staten Island or Brooklyn. You can tell the difference by their yards--the Brooklynites pack theirs with statues and lawn ornaments. And check out the backup from the Outerbridge Crossing to the GSP on holidays when they all go home to visit Grandma.
It's true!

Middletown NJ! Know quite a few friends from my SI childhood whose families packed up and moved to that part of Jersey.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 AM

338 posts, read 674,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know about how "hateful" Archie Bunker was, he certainly didn't hold back on comments that would start a beat down today.

There is much controversy over the harm Archie Bunker did with his comments. Some feel the guy should be given a pass because he was a naïf and was just what he was. He didn't mean to insult persons of color or whatever, he just felt his opinion was correct.

OTOH many feel AB did a great amount of harm calling persons, blacks, Spics, Pollacks, Kites, Jews, ****, Lez, etc... Many waited but Caroll O'Connor never apologized for how he portrayed AB. I mean just because a bigot is "loveable" does that make them any less of one?
Wait, what? Why should Carroll O'Connor apologize for "how" he portrayed Archie? What does that even mean? The actor is not responsible for the script--that goes to the producer and show creator (Norman Lear) and the writers. The actor's job is to say those lines as they're written. If he gave his character nuance, again that's his job. If you have a problem with Archie being a bigot, you need to take that up with Normal Lear, not Carroll O'Connor.

And for what it's worth, both Lear and O'Connor were pretty liberal--I doubt that O'Connor was endorsing Archie's ridiculous views and words. Lear in fact intended Archie as a parody of extremist right-wing views, and was very surprised that so many viewers took to him.

(For the record I would say that even "lovable" bigots should be called out for their views, and I wonder how many viewers were secretly cheering on Archie. It is definitely a complicated situation, I just don't think O'Connor should be blamed because he played his role well.)

Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
Wait, what? Why should Carroll O'Connor apologize for "how" he portrayed Archie? What does that even mean? The actor is not responsible for the script--that goes to the producer and show creator (Norman Lear) and the writers. The actor's job is to say those lines as they're written. If he gave his character nuance, again that's his job. If you have a problem with Archie being a bigot, you need to take that up with Normal Lear, not Carroll O'Connor.

And for what it's worth, both Lear and O'Connor were pretty liberal--I doubt that O'Connor was endorsing Archie's ridiculous views and words. Lear in fact intended Archie as a parody of extremist right-wing views, and was very surprised that so many viewers took to him.

(For the record I would say that even "lovable" bigots should be called out for their views, and I wonder how many viewers were secretly cheering on Archie. It is definitely a complicated situation, I just don't think O'Connor should be blamed because he played his role well.)
Cannot imagine why or what persons expected, but yes some in the AA community felt "Archie Bunker" did real damage and that Mr. O'Connor should have said something. IIRC read it in an interview with Bill Cosby. If have time over the weekend will see what there is on the Internet.

Yes, knew Mr. O'Connor was a liberal, but many others may not especially at that time. The man also was an professor of English IIRC before he became an actor. So much for Archie's malapropism.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:52 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,836,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Someone told me today a lot of the type you are describing are in Allentown PA area with other former NYers. They were there this weekend visiting relatives that moved there. I was surprised because I know that Blacks and Puerto Ricans have moved there from the city, but then again they also moved to the other places that have been posted that Italians moved to also.
I know Allentown well and believe me Italians have been CLEARING out for decades.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
From what I've seen at the show, Archie was portrayed as lovable but a bit of an idiot. Usually the laughs were at Archie's views not in agreement with him

Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 PM

402 posts, read 807,738 times
Your grandparents were considered White sorry to bust your bubble... The thing that made Irish and Italians(to a lesser extent) considered minorities(in some circles) was their religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City