Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 PM

7 posts, read 10,562 times

Advertisements

I need to drive from UES (95th Street/3rd Av) to work in Matawan, NJ. I am thinking of leaving about 7 AM from UES, and return from Matawan about 5:30 pm to return to UES. I see googlemaps shows about 56 min during this time for both morning and evening commute.

Is this commute time realistic? assuming GW bridge is the only good option? Please share your feedback and experience. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen832 View Post
I need to drive from UES (95th Street/3rd Av) to work in Matawan, NJ. I am thinking of leaving about 7 AM from UES, and return from Matawan about 5:30 pm to return to UES. I see googlemaps shows about 56 min during this time for both morning and evening commute.

Is this commute time realistic? assuming GW bridge is the only good option? Please share your feedback and experience. Thank you!
Have family in Old Bridge and live on UES as well. However usually take the Lincoln but that is just me.

You can do the trip in about an hour give or take but much will depend on things such as traffic that are out of your control. It goes without saying to watch/listen to local traffic reports on the news before heading out. Once you get the hang of things you may even develop alternate routes to help bypass the worst of traffic.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:44 AM

Thank you BugsPal. I am assuming you mean traffic news on the radio at 1010. Do you commute in peak hours or off-peak hours? Folks on the forum reported that Lincoln is not at all a good option during morning commute, but I think that is from NJ to NYC in the morning versus the reverse direction for me (NYC to NJ in the morning).

Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

allen, The commute is possible but it will allow you no time at work. I really doubt that you could 56 minutes at those times, even "going against traffic." There really isn't much of a reverse commut these days, it's mess in all directions. If I were being optimistic I would figure 90 minutes each way at rush hours.

DO NOT DREAM OF DOING THIS ON A DAILY BASIS...it will drive you off the wall. One traffic jam will add an hour to your drive.

If I did it I would probably go across the park at 96th and then down to the Lincoln Tunnel. If the job is a good one, move to Matawan unless you have a stabilized 2 bedroom apartment for $600.

I live a few blocks South of you...say hello if you see me on Third Avenue. Are you in the Normandie?

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-13-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Thanks Kefir King for your feedback. You seem to be very familiar with that area. Yes, we are going to be right around Normandie. I have to commute daily and its a new job. The good news is I have still not moved there, but the bad news is that I need to sign lease tomorrow and the rent is very expensive. I am okay with 1 hour commute but 1.5 hour is on the higher side for me. If I don't move to upper east side, then I move to short hills. I am so confused between the two choices. But a bad commute of consistent 1.5 hours or more daily is off the wall for me as I need to focus a lot on my work.

Do you have experience driving on this route during work hours? or do you have suggestion on how I can get the commute time information? Also, are traffic jam in that direction a norm?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:08 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
If you are going to do this commute every day make sure you have a back-up -- a way to commute to work using mass transit. There will come a day when you're exhausted in the morning or the weather is horrible or your car has to go into the shop or you just don't feel like driving. It will be nice to know that you can take a bus or tain instead.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you BugsPal. I am assuming you mean traffic news on the radio at 1010. Do you commute in peak hours or off-peak hours? Folks on the forum reported that Lincoln is not at all a good option during morning commute, but I think that is from NJ to NYC in the morning versus the reverse direction for me (NYC to NJ in the morning).
Have only made the trip during off peak hours so will agree with others that GWB is a better option for those living on the UES.

1010 WINS or any of the local "Good Day" early morning news programs have pretty decent traffic/weather every five or seven minutes. I like to know what is going on *BEFORE* pulling out so can make plans accordingly.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
allen, The commute is possible but it will allow you no time at work. I really doubt that you could 56 minutes at those times, even "going against traffic." There really isn't much of a reverse commut these days, it's mess in all directions. If I were being optimistic I would figure 90 minutes each way at rush hours.

DO NOT DREAM OF DOING THIS ON A DAILY BASIS...it will drive you off the wall. One traffic jam will add an hour to your drive.

If I did it I would probably go across the park at 96th and then down to the Lincoln Tunnel. If the job is a good one, move to Matawan unless you have a stabilized 2 bedroom apartment for $600.

I live a few blocks South of you...say hello if you see me on Third Avenue. Are you in the Normandie?
Problem with the Lincoln is getting to it! *LOL* There are just aren't any fast options (Tenth, Westside Highway, etc...). Then there is just getting to the West side from East.

If persons are willing to be on the road before the rats have gone to bed, that is leave Manhattan before 7AM, things are better.

Train sounds like a good option as NJT does have a station down there. But how good a choice that would be depends on how far one's office is from the station. Sometimes despite all the hassles you just want to have your own roll.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The GWB is the better option for the UES, and outbound should be better than inbound from my experience. The FDR inbound can also be slow in the afternoon, so you may make it in about an hour in the morning and closer to an hour and twenty minutes in the evening. Also factor retrieving the car from the garage and other associated hassles.

The inbound Lincoln is a mess in the evening, and can take a while on the approach, before getting back to the UES.

If you have not signed on the UES, did you consider the UWS? It would facilitate the commute via the tunnel or the GWB as you are much closer to the Hudson crossings.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-15-2013, 03:15 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Can we all agree that the 56 minutes is NOT applicable to this commute and that 90 minutes is probably more the norm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City