Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 09:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,971,475 times

Advertisements

Hemlock is also one of the better looking streets in CH for it's brick row houses. There are still a notable amount of goons that hang out on Fulton & Hemlock. Between the NYC Fried Chicken and the Yemeni Deli. The area between the stations of Norwood and Crescent are the busiest in Cypress Hills, also at times can be the most suspicious. One thing I noticed about Cypress Hills now is that their are more hardcore beggars around. More so now than when I lived there 5 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 03:13 PM

286 posts, read 352,456 times
If you know anyone who would benefit from this info, spread the word.

Tenants Rights in Brooklyn -- Free Legal Clinic in East New York

Old 12-16-2015, 02:20 PM

80 posts, read 139,846 times
There are a bunch of these weird listings for Cypress Hills on Craigslist right now. Totally inflated prices and the ads are strange. $2550 For a 2 bedroom?

/| GREAT APARTMENT HOME!!! A MUST SEE!!! GREAT PLACE!!! /|

Old 12-17-2015, 01:45 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf726 View Post
There are a bunch of these weird listings for Cypress Hills on Craigslist right now. Totally inflated prices and the ads are strange. $2550 For a 2 bedroom?

/| GREAT APARTMENT HOME!!! A MUST SEE!!! GREAT PLACE!!! /|
You didn't know... ENY is happening right now. $2550 is a bargain for that neighborhood as colombianbeef and shadowmessa would have you believe...

Old 12-17-2015, 05:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times
Do yourselves a favor and skip right over ENY to Woodhaven and Richmond Hill.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Do yourselves a favor and skip right over ENY to Woodhaven and Richmond Hill.
GDale, have you been through CH recently? Honestly, it's looking beautiful.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
GDale, have you been through CH recently? Honestly, it's looking beautiful.
Other than going to the Ridgewood Reservoir or Highland Park, there is not much reason too. It lacks amenities and restaurants. So if it is now more expensive to live in than Woodhaven or Richmond Hill (or even Jamaica), than whats the point?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Other than going to the Ridgewood Reservoir or Highland Park, there is not much reason too. It lacks amenities and restaurants. So if it is now more expensive to live in than Woodhaven or Richmond Hill (or even Jamaica), than whats the point?
I understand what you mean, but shorter train ride is nice. The blocks look great, really appreciating the architecture. I don't think it is really more expensive then woodhaven, these apartment listings make it appear that way. But bet if you looked at what places are actually renting for its very similar to the queens side. Right now anyway.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I understand what you mean, but shorter train ride is nice. The blocks look great, really appreciating the architecture. I don't think it is really more expensive then woodhaven, these apartment listings make it appear that way. But bet if you looked at what places are actually renting for its very similar to the queens side. Right now anyway.
ShadowMassa got priced out of Cypress Hills and moved to Woodhaven. So now he may have a slightly longer commute, but also now has a neighborhood with less crime, cleaner streets, better schools, a nicer large park, more cultural diversity, and better food options than before. All that at a lower price tag. Both neighborhoods are similar when it comes to architecture. It must suck to have to pay a premium just because your address says Brooklyn.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:00 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,971,475 times
This is what happened to me in Cypress Hills, the owner of the property for 30+ years was convinced by next-door-neighbors that she should sell and move to Florida and rent from 1 of their 2 properties! LOL... She sold the row-house for little over 400,000 (below market value considering it's size) and is now renting from my former neighbors in central Florida. The new owner wanted the property either for his family or rent out to a large single family, he said he was going to renovate and did not want either of the original tenants to remain. I drove by a week ago only to find out he did not renovate and my old curtains are still in use.

I was looking into moving within my former neighborhood and what I found was either overpriced for what they were offering. The majority of the rentals in CH are in a need of extreme renovations, much of the property looked terrible and in some cases the landlords were dubious, asking for 4-6 months of rent in advance. The environment was either similar to my former street or worst. It can be quite dirty at times, and notable amount of thuggery or in some cases worst than my former street, and visually notable amount of beggars around train stations and main corners, ect.

Speaking about pricing, for a little more or the same in Woodhaven compared to what I found in Cypress Hills. I found better maintained properties, I've spoke with better and more reasonable landlords, larger properties, better maintained neighborhood environments, more notable amount of respectable tenants (not a PC thing to say but so what), a storefront filled main-street with more commercial offerings, a cleaner and yet safer train station, more ethnically/culturally diverse environments, far less beggars the list goes on.

So with this move I got a slightly larger (I had large CH Apt) apartment, cleaner, safer, more dining options, better train stations, more ethnic and religious diversity, a nice park with joggers and people busy in the dog run, all for about little more or less than what I would of had in Cypress Hills.

That being said, I'm not going to stop supporting or promoting CH, I'd said it then and I'll say it now, it's far better than ENY proper and in some cases even better than Bushwick. But I'm living better now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City