Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 03:45 PM

286 posts, read 352,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Quadcopter Cam at Highland Park

Stroll through Highland Park with my Blade 350 QX Quadcopter - YouTube

Speaking of Cypress Hills and City Line. It seems like Wikipedia or someone deleted the neighborhoods details from Wiki.
It must have been a recent change, I was on the page a few days ago. Now it's just the section on the main ENY page, Starrett City and even "the Hole" still have their own dedicated wiki pages.

Saw this today, since when does a private company do something out of the kindness of their hearts. Maybe the median area income stipulation that sets the rent amounts has something to do with the impending gentrification of the neighborhood. We might be hearing about current residents forced out as the "median Area income" goes up. (if you don't have a daily news subscription just open an incognito/private window and paste the link)

East New York facelift underway for 63 buildings - NY Daily News

This is also encouraging, didn't know there will be an artist/retail incubator near the L train.

Super Wings flies the coop for East New York* - NY Daily News

Not much of a site yet but still a cool idea:
renewlots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:52 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
^ Yep, someone removed both dedicated pages and decided to make pages for 'The Hole' and 'Starrett City' in the place of the 2 which were removed.

No one does anything for free or too much kindness, there is always an interior motive, that's how the machine works. Don't be surprised, like you said.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 PM

80 posts, read 140,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
It must have been a recent change, I was on the page a few days ago. Now it's just the section on the main ENY page, Starrett City and even "the Hole" still have their own dedicated wiki pages.

Saw this today, since when does a private company do something out of the kindness of their hearts. Maybe the median area income stipulation that sets the rent amounts has something to do with the impending gentrification of the neighborhood. We might be hearing about current residents forced out as the "median Area income" goes up. (if you don't have a daily news subscription just open an incognito/private window and paste the link)

East New York facelift underway for 63 buildings - NY Daily News

This is also encouraging, didn't know there will be an artist/retail incubator near the L train.

Super Wings flies the coop for East New York* - NY Daily News

Not much of a site yet but still a cool idea:
renewlots
Renewlots is really interesting, thanks for sharing! Plan to check it out.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf726 View Post
Renewlots is really interesting, thanks for sharing! Plan to check it out.
Yeah it sounds like a great idea, heres another article on it in the Brooklyn Eagle:
Brooklyn Eagle

It looks like Brownsville has something similar going on as well. reminds me of the markets there used to be in SoHo and throughout lower Manhattan back in the 90's.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1977104

Last edited by colombianbeef; 10-17-2014 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: adding Brownsville link.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:05 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
^ Yep, someone removed both dedicated pages and decided to make pages for 'The Hole' and 'Starrett City' in the place of the 2 which were removed.

No one does anything for free or too much kindness, there is always an interior motive, that's how the machine works. Don't be surprised, like you said.
That's idiotic. Cypress Hills might be part of ENY, but is different enough to warrant it's own page. Tudor Village in Ozone Park has its own page, and that area is only a very small section of Ozone Park.

That's like me deleting the Glendale wiki, and adding it to the Ridgewood page.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
That's idiotic. Cypress Hills might be part of ENY, but is different enough to warrant it's own page. Tudor Village in Ozone Park has its own page, and that area is only a very small section of Ozone Park.

That's like me deleting the Glendale wiki, and adding it to the Ridgewood page.
Not exactly, Glendale and Ridgewood only share a zip code, one isn't a subsection of the other. It does look like the Stuyvesant Heights section of Bed-Stuy has also lost it's own page yet Ocean Hill and Weeksville still have theirs. I noticed Google maps treats Cypress Hills as a separate neighborhood, Even when you search East New York it doesn't include the Cypress Hills section. Bing Maps does not.

Did you see that Glendale is pushing for their own zip code to disassociate from Ridgewood? Surprised this didn't happen a long time ago. Even ENY has two Zip codes within it's borders.

Glendale Wants Its Own ZIP Code to Break Away From Ridgewood - Glendale - DNAinfo.com New York

Old 11-18-2014, 06:47 PM

Saw this today:

De Blasio Administration Targets Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn for Building | New York Observer

East New York, a transit-rich, low-income neighborhood in eastern Brooklyn, is one place the de Blasio administration hopes to transform into a vibrant, more affordable version of areas like Downtown Brooklyn and Williamsburg. Mr. Weisbrod said the administration has been meeting with local elected officials and the Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation to develop a “framework for growth.â€

Williamsburg and Downtown Brooklyn are two completely different neighborhoods not sure either should be the vision for ENY.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,990 times
Quote:
The properties around the neighborhood are at the lowest prices in the entire Brooklyn if you are planning to buy. In terms of danger, sure things do happen, but it's not as dangerous as ENY proper. If you ask for my opinion and this is based on a north-northeastern Brooklyn native perspective, if people can handle Bushwick they can definitely handle Cypress Hills. I never really had a harsh experience in the neighborhood as an adult.

The particular street you mentioned is not all that bad, I rode my bike through there many times, never had an issue and it seems quiet in comparison to some other streets. Some unique row-homes too which are elevated because of a hill it's built on. Surely the neighborhood as a whole can use some work, property can be renovated and the area can use some investment. We don't know what the future holds.

During the summer some blocks can be noisy in comparison to others, outdoor music, kids, hangouts, occasional fist fights involving teens at school yards, ect. During the winter it's much more relaxed. The busiest stations are Norwood and Crescent, this is where it seems the bulk of the inhabitant get on and off. There is a heavy police presence on Fulton Street during the night. Some undercover police also.

There are some white people in the area. Some are long term natives and in a few occasions I've seen what appears to be transplants or hipsters, especially around Crescent. The area also contains Latinos of different nationalities, other Caribbeans, South Asians, Chinese and Black-Americans.

All in all, it's not as bad as ENY proper or Brownsville, it's not as nice as Glendale or Ridgewood. I gather it's best if you and your husband would visit and drive/walk around the area for a while to feel it out for your own opinion.
How is Autumn Ave around Etna Street and Danforth Street?
My wife and I are considering a move to Cypress but she works late and would be using the J to get to the area above.

Is this a terrible idea? We live in Crown Heights now. [email]dquejuan@gmail.com[/email]

Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 PM

My wife and I are considering a move to Cypress but she works late and would be using the J at Cypress hills stop to get to the area above.

Is this a terrible idea? We live in Crown Heights now. [email]dquejuan@gmail.com[/email]

Old 12-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf726 View Post
I have been reading posts on this forum for a while so thought I would just post myself! I grew up in Glendale, currently live in ridgewood. My husband and I are looking to buy and we are really drawn to the Cypress Hills area, specifically Sunnyside ave...I think the series of dead ends are really cool, make for quiet streets. Highland park is beautiful, the renovations so far look great. The YMCA and children's community garden on Jamaica are define pluses. Not to mention the pretty library on arlington. The J is close by, it's an ok commute..not super fast but it works. Overall it is still affordable (for nyc).

On the other hand it is close to the rougher part of East New York, there is still a good amount of crime reports. Just recently I read a man got mugged at gunpoint near van siclan (10 am!) amongst other incidences, seems fairly consistent? Also there isn't a lot of food options, the supermarkets aren't great either.

Looking for insight/opinions? Especially from current residents. We genuinely like the neighborhood but want to be informed. Full disclosure: I am a white female, my husband is South American.

Thoughts appreciated!
My wife and I are considering a move to Cypress but she works late and would be using the J at Cypress hills stop to get to the area above.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City