Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 06:13 PM

286 posts, read 353,125 times

Advertisements

Just saw this, I know it's "technically" in Queens but it's very much a part of Highland Park which is part of ENY.

It would be a real shame if the reservoir was torn up to build baseball fields, hopefully it gets designated a wetland and preserved in it's current state.

Ridgewood Reservoir declaration in doubt. | www.timesnewsweekly.com | Times Newsweekly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 AM

6 posts, read 11,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
Just saw this, I know it's "technically" in Queens but it's very much a part of Highland Park which is part of ENY.

It would be a real shame if the reservoir was torn up to build baseball fields, hopefully it gets designated a wetland and preserved in it's current state.

Ridgewood Reservoir declaration in doubt. | www.timesnewsweekly.com | Times Newsweekly

I do hope that they preserve the reservoir -- it's part of the reason we moved here in the first place!

And just an update -- we're the couple who just moved in last month off the Norwood stop and had been asking tons of questions about the neighborhood before we moved in.

We do love it -- the neighbors in particular have been awesome, very welcoming and warm. Can't say enough about how nice they've been.

And there definitely are aspects that are loud at times -though it's a different type of loud than I imagined -- and perfectly deal-able. Though we haven't hit summer yet, the noise near us has been more brief "passing car stereos" than someone next door just blaring music from dawn til dusk constantly. I can completely deal with the passing car stereo bit, and that almost always dies down at a reasonable time.

Other than that we're finding a couple places that are decent for delivery (El Pulgarcito on Fulton for pupusas and El Puerto in Woodhaven for some al Pastor tacos) -- of course any other suggestions would be awesome.

And gotta love the J-train!

All in all tho -- we love it -- thanks to the members here who put up with my pestering!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:51 PM

One of my favorite houses in Cypress Hills, a still intact wood-frame with tons of original details is actually up for sale. The monthly mortgage would be as much as a two bedroom apartment in the neighborhood. Two train stations and Highland Park nearby.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=NY577272989

Old 04-30-2015, 03:37 PM

Found another site with old pictures of the neighborhood, there's only one page for Cypress Hills but theres a few East New York Pages with pictures that are in CH.

http://www.brooklynpix.com/catalog15...ality_no=11301

I just noticed the maps of the neighborhoods show different borders from today and shows Cityline as it's own section, wonder if they are the original borders or just incorrect.

CH/Cityline:
http://www.brooklynpix.com/photofram...t%20for%20sale

ENY proper:
http://www.brooklynpix.com/photofram...t%20for%20sale

Last edited by colombianbeef; 04-30-2015 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: maps

Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:

Brooklyn wanted to fill them in and throw turf fields over it, whereas Queens wanted it preserved. Hopefully this new Brooklyn of today has a change of thought, especially since they tend to get what they want these days.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Brooklyn wanted to fill them in and throw turf fields over it, whereas Queens wanted it preserved. Hopefully this new Brooklyn of today has a change of thought, especially since they tend to get what they want these days.
Do you have a source for that? what I remember is the Bloomberg administration wanted to get rid of the vegetation around the reservoir, draining one of the three basins to install ball fields, People were upset because it had gone back to a natural ecosystems filled with birds and other animals that have made it home.

Brooklyn and Queens never had a vote on what was going to happen and preservationists from all over including Brooklyn fought to preserve it. The reservoir is on the Queens side of Highland so Brooklyn has no say on what happens in a park that is basically a Brooklyn park (originally actually was). The baseball field was a giveaway to a Bloomberg construction buddy, do you really think the "New" brooklyn people want more Dominicans and Puerto Ricans playing baseball in their parks? get real and stop hating, i'm sure hipsters/yuppies would rather have it the way it is.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:33 PM

One step closer to rezoning:

East New York Rezoning | Mayor Bill de Blasio

East New York's Rezoning Creeps One Step Closer to Reality - In the Rezone - Curbed NY

Old 05-01-2015, 06:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Do you have a source for that? what I remember is the Bloomberg administration wanted to get rid of the vegetation around the reservoir, draining one of the three basins to install ball fields, People were upset because it had gone back to a natural ecosystems filled with birds and other animals that have made it home.

Brooklyn and Queens never had a vote on what was going to happen and preservationists from all over including Brooklyn fought to preserve it. The reservoir is on the Queens side of Highland so Brooklyn has no say on what happens in a park that is basically a Brooklyn park (originally actually was). The baseball field was a giveaway to a Bloomberg construction buddy, do you really think the "New" brooklyn people want more Dominicans and Puerto Ricans playing baseball in their parks? get real and stop hating, i'm sure hipsters/yuppies would rather have it the way it is.
The Future of Ridgewood Reservoir: Birds or Baseball?

"However, many residents of the adjacent neighborhoods of Cypress Hills, East New York and Bushwick - areas with very few parks and trees - support the ball field proposal. On June 19, about 100 people from East Brooklyn Congregations (EBC), an organization dedicated to empowering residents to improve their communities, demonstrated on the steps of City Hall and then went inside to testify at a hearing of the City Council parks committee, voicing their support for more sports fields."

But Brooklyn Community Board 5 ended up voting against it at the end of the day anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The Future of Ridgewood Reservoir: Birds or Baseball?

"However, many residents of the adjacent neighborhoods of Cypress Hills, East New York and Bushwick - areas with very few parks and trees - support the ball field proposal. On June 19, about 100 people from East Brooklyn Congregations (EBC), an organization dedicated to empowering residents to improve their communities, demonstrated on the steps of City Hall and then went inside to testify at a hearing of the City Council parks committee, voicing their support for more sports fields."

But Brooklyn Community Board 5 ended up voting against it at the end of the day anyway, so it doesn't matter.
EBC doesn't represent the whole neighborhood nor the borough. Although their intentions come from a positive place it's short sighted. One of the biggest take aways from that article is the fact that the local politicians live in some of those houses up along Highland blvd. and I doubt they want more of their "constituents" in their nice little slice of suburbia up there, I doubt EBC will get the parks but this won't be the last we hear from them. I mean imagine all the nearby schools having field trips here so the kids can learn about birds, insects and other animals making this place home instead of just some place to play baseball and blast your music for less than 5 months out of the year. The cynical side of me wonders if their leaders are cozy with some developer who they would push to build the fields since they were the group behind the Nehemia neighborhood built over by the Gateway mall. It was a successful development but scratching of backs is how this town is run.

If they really cared about more parks why haven't they pushed for converting that unused land on the Conduit, I'm sure they can put some protective barriers, fences and lights and turn it into a running path with some playgrounds similar to Pelham Parkway in the Bronx.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-34942?row=16

Colonial on Sunnyside ave. is up for sale, it's one of those long lots on a slope. looks like most of the original detail has been renovated out but still a cool piece of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City