Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:24 PM

17 posts, read 36,308 times

Advertisements

So I saw an ad on Craigslist for a $1500 1bdrm in NYC, and the (supposed) owner replied, just asking basic stuff about how long I would like to occupy it, if it would be only me living there, etc.

I replied, and then her reply was this:

---
In this moment i'm in Madrid-Spain and can not be present to deal face to face but I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from Madrid through Realtor.com is an international company dealing specifically in rentals apartments, I used it in the past and I was very pleased.In order to view the flat and settle a deal, you will need the keys, and the contract.
I will explain how it works..

If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number full name and address where you want to receive the keys/contract.Then I will forward to Realtor.com company from Madrid, and they will start the process right away in US.Next you will receive a notification message from Realtor.com containing all the instructions that you need to follow.
Regarding the Payment, you will be instructed to deposit the amount to an agent from Realtor.com ,they will hold lock and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent the place or not.(That is my insurance).If you will not be satisfied with the apartment the total amount will be refunded in same day after your request.You will be given a ten days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract.During this period you can take a decision.

As for the monthly payment are done directly to my bank account from Madrid at the beginning or end of month at your convenience.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-----

This is complete BS, isn't it? Her name (again, supposedly) is Bernice Moretti and the location of the unit is 1 W 71st St.

I should run from this, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I should run from this, right?

Yes.

This is 1 West. 71st Street. Looks like it is a condo or co-op building.
http://www.trulia.com/rental/3127239...-York-NY-10023

Old 11-17-2013, 01:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
scam

Old 11-17-2013, 01:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
The person who owns my apartment lives in Europe. This not the way an international person rents their apartment. Definitely a scam.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Here is some advice:

#1 Stop replying to ads that are obviously scams just on rent price alone. $1500 a month is so far from market rent for an UWS one bedroom that it HAS to be a scam.

#2 If you are so desperate to reply to these ads, at least do a google image search first to see if those photos are being used on other listings at other addresses. If you find them associated with other ads, then that means the photos were stolen to be used for a fake ad. In this case, I found the photo of this bedroom in at 18 Williams St. and also 520 E 11th

18 William St #11, New York, NY 10005 - Zillow
520 E 11Th St, New York, NY 10009 - Apartment Rental - realtor.com®

#3 Africans (the main perpetrators of these scams as far as I know) write English in a very particular, foreign-sounding way. There are a few red flags in the email they sent you. The biggest one is their usage of will/would. They use it in ways that we don't. For example:

If you will not be satisfied with the apartment the total amount will be refunded in same day
Also: During this period you can take a decision. (this is British/African etc. English as far as I know, to say "take a decision")

I'm not a linguist and I don't know the specific differences between British and African English, but I have seen enough of these scam emails for apartments that I have a sense of how the Africans write and ALL of the scam emails contain these red flags just from the way the English is written alone.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:50 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
There are always scams like this. Think about the price. $1500 for a 1BR on the UWS? Never going to happen

Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Legit, Bernice Moretti just moved from Nigeria to Spain this year. She met many friends from around the world by e-mail.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:54 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Don't just run - also report it back to Craigslist as a scam.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 PM

35 posts, read 37,418 times
Madrid? Right. She's probably somewhere in the city looking for a poor sap to rip off.

Whenever you are looking for an apartment, especially online, do you homework. Be the P.I.

Investigate, question, fact check, cross check, double check and finally, visit the address in question before making the deal.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
As Monte Python famously proclaimed: RUN AWAY!

The dead giveaway is:
Quote:
you will be instructed to deposit the amount to an agent from Realtor.com ,they will hold lock and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent the place or not.(That is my insurance).
You do not give someone money BEFORE you see what you are renting...ever. And what does she need "insurance" against? Your stealing her apartment leaving a gaping hole in the building, raping an agent?

Quote:
.Next you will receive a notification message from Realtor.com containing all the instructions that you need to follow.
ROFL That wording sounded like a HOSTAGE negotiation. Perhaps that is her sideline business. You may have escaped being KIDNAPPED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City