Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times

Advertisements

^ the feds are about to cut the spigot off soon and charge you extra for each drip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:52 PM

81 posts, read 100,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The stress of taking the subway in New York is nothing compared with the stress of driving in LA. Social patterns are very different as well. New Yorkers think nothing of meeting a friend for a drink or a bite to eat after work—because it’s so easy and affordable with the subway. We stay out later because we don’t have to worry about drinking and driving. In LA meeting friends for coffee can be a huge and comparatively expensive production when you factor in travel time plus gas, parking, and general aggravation. My friends who have moved to LA say the thing they miss most the ease of social interaction.
would you tell me more about the social interaction in NY? even people are busy there, but they gotta have some relax time on the weekends. right?

Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Iguana View Post
would you tell me more about the social interaction in NY? even people are busy there, but they gotta have some relax time on the weekends. right?
what a weird line of questioning

Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Iguana View Post
Smart people manage to make time for social interaction and relaxation. Those who don't are borderline psychotic.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nyc is very dense and highly populated compared to any city in CA. The only city that comes close to NYC in style, culture, densitty, economics is probably SF. LA is sprawlish and significantly bigger than NYC in size. LA is not so dense.
Even San Fran is puny compared to NYC. It has a much smaller city type of feel than NYC. San fran has a little less than 1 mill people nyc has 8 times that amount!!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I measured it on my last trip to Manhattan on the Staten Island Ferry and the distance between people in NYC is approximately 3.28 centimeters.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM

283 posts, read 434,695 times
I've lived in Alabama, NYC area (Jersey City across from Manhattan), and now Milwaukee Wisconsin. I used to have a good friend in LA and my brother lives in SF in the city.

Here's my take on it.

In LA it is more spread out, but I'm sure downtown is just as dense. The LA area sheer land mass is much bigger and hence will lead to more space. Plus it's a car driven city, so there's more space since everyone has their own 'bubble'. It can be a hassle to get out, mainly because of traffic, but it can be quite easy too as there is parking almost everywhere and most of it free (my experience staying with my friend and driving around).

NYC area is NOT car-friendly by any means. A car is another thing to worry about and simply best not to have. However, on the flip side public transportation is quick, efficient, and can get you practically anywhere. But you are much more close to people during the same LA rush hour. I still remember being pressed so hard against this one girl's back that I could actually feel her heartbeat, and I could read another girl's nook that was reading a romance novel at the steamy part--on a train with a bunch of people packed in like rats. Definitely much closer than LA.

SF can be similar on the bus in the morning, but the sidewalks and such aren't packed like they are in Manhattan. It's definitely a smaller island with less people, and you can feel it. The endless hills aren't fun if you're walking either.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nyc is very dense and highly populated compared to any city in CA. The only city that comes close to NYC in style, culture, densitty, economics is probably SF. LA is sprawlish and significantly bigger than NYC in size. LA is not so dense.
Perhaps a city by city comparison makes NYV denser than LA, but the Los Angeles metropolitan region is denser than the New York metro area.

L.A. more densely populated than N.Y.C.? Believe it

Old 11-27-2013, 05:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
And Union City, Guttenberg, and Hoboken are denser than both.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 AM

283 posts, read 434,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
...Hoboken are denser than both.
Really? It felt about the same to me. Even looked the same to a certain extent when there were brownstones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: