Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:14 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you read the article, you would see it's not just about the one incident. It is very true that the odds of moving into that neighborhood and then having a home invasion robbery are "not that high" but the article indicates the neighborhood (at least at that time in 2011) was extremely sketchy. The article mentions neighbors joking that Chauncey Street should actually be called Chancy Street due to the bullets flying.

Also, there is a quote from one of the young guys who got his home robbed that when he was asked about the neighborhood initially, he initially said "it's cool, there's a lot of cultural pride" and the neighbor he was speaking to just laughed at his naivete.

This quote more or less sums it up: The story of what happened in that apartment on a corner of Bedford-Stuyvesant on the morning of June 13 is a cautionary tale about too-good-to-be-true dwellings in unfamiliar neighborhoods, and a reminder that not all of Brooklyn is a red carpet for the young and aspiring.

I am no expert on Bed-Stuy. I do visit friends there occasionally. So I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I saying this article tells the entire story of everything about that area of Bed-Stuy.

But it is a striking story and I believe it should be taken how it's presented: as a cautionary tale about too-good-to-be true dwellings in unfamiliar neighborhoods.
I can agree with this POV. My whole thing, especially for people not living there, is 1) things change rapidly, especially in the gentrifying areas of Brooklyn 2) you can't take a story that happened to a group of people a few yeas ago (one of whom I believe was from Brownsville) and use that as a current example and 3) everyone's comfort level is different. Personally, I direct newcomers to different sections of the neighborhood for specifics like amenities not just safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 03:19 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If it can happen in Crown Heights, there is no reason why it couldn't happen in Bed-Stuy, which historically was the worse of the two neighborhoods. Not so sure that is the case anymore though.
And the knockouts aren't just occurring in transitional areas. It even happened on the 7 train! So called proximity doesn't make the case for it happening in the area the OP is looking.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
And the knockouts aren't just occurring in transitional areas. It even happened on the 7 train! So called proximity doesn't make the case for it happening in the area the OP is looking.
Didn't hear about the 7 train incident. What stop?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhl262 View Post
The apartment is on Ralph and Halsey near Saratoga Spa state park. I know BedStuy is changing as a neighborhood, but I wanted to know if the area I mentioned above is safe at night.
It's still the hood.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Didn't hear about the 7 train incident. What stop?
It happened inside the train itself, in or about Woodside.

The question I have about the knockout "game" is: is it still considered "Knockout" when the person doing the punching is alone (as the guy on the 7 train seemed to be)? I thought part of it was the group mentality thing and showing off in front of stupid and stupider friends.

Watch: Cops seek man who punched helpless woman riding 7 train - NY Daily News

Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It happened inside the train itself, in or about Woodside.

The question I have about the knockout "game" is: is it still considered "Knockout" when the person doing the punching is alone (as the guy on the 7 train seemed to be)? I thought part of it was the group mentality thing and showing off in front of stupid and stupider friends.

Watch: Cops seek man who punched helpless woman riding 7 train - NY Daily News
He was not alone. If you watch the video carefully, you can see the attacker look towards the guy
standing on his right side with the phone pointed at the target before punching the woman. The body
language of the attacker and the eye contact to me seems like" I'm ready, are you filming?" to me.
I think that guy was the attacker's accomplice.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:00 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
He was not alone. If you watch the video carefully, you can see the attacker look towards the guy
standing on his right side with the phone pointed at the target before punching the woman. The body
language of the attacker and the eye contact to me seems like" I'm ready, are you filming?" to me.
I think that guy was the attacker's accomplice.
I think you're probably right.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,094 times
im a white dude who lives out here. its not pretty, but its affordable. I think its decently "safe" for being "the hood" if that helps at all. I've had a few weird run-ins over the last 2 years (from "hey white boy" to a guy poking his finger in my back at a store as if it was a gun) but nothing so bad that i felt that i had to move. Lone Wolf and GBM are fun local hangouts about a 10 minute walk from here (or 2 stops on the J). Its not "up and coming" nearly as fast as any other area, but its cheap and near transportation. Oh, and theres a 2 dollar per slice pizza shop near the chauncy stop, wedged in between a few crown fried chickens, so its gotta be slowly getting better.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 PM

28 posts, read 59,474 times
Relative lived a few blocks over on Bainbridge. Properties on the block were being bought up and converted into lux apartments. I think at this point hipsters have outnumbered traditional residents. Except for the project a few blocks away, I can't imagine anything unsafe. Hipsters walk around any hour of the night.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,107 times
Ante Up is right.

I catch you backstage, give me the keys to the Escalate
You think you cute hoe? Take off them Gucci shades
I get my dogs to do you dirty, they all seven thirty

Hoe you don't be rhyming', you still memorizing'
Remy want them goddamn diamonds

That's the mentality here ( and a classic 90's rap song !)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: