Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,184,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Crack hit NYC in the early to mid 80s, so the destruction began right around the time you were born.
Yeah I always figured that was a big culprit. FWIW most of the homeless tend to be of the age who were likely to be most susceptible to that era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,331,618 times
Bluedog nailed it very well..the combination of more middle/working class people falling into poverty because of the wealth transfer occurring to the top, and the disintegration of our social safety nets...why would this be a surprise to anyone? So if you were homeless, where would you go? The places that have the most services for you....none of this is complicated.

Of course there is always the mentally ill which make up a good portion of the homeless, however we know that the economic changes occurring across the country and decrease in social services, even here in NYC, means we will see more homeless here. Get used to it.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,997,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah I always figured that was a big culprit. FWIW most of the homeless tend to be of the age who were likely to be most susceptible to that era.
You're correct. Yeah, there are "some" young ones, but not many.

Every time I see them, I know that if they could go back to that very first time someone offered them a hit, they would be like "Nah man. I'm good." Millions of lives and at least two or three generations lost. Unfortunately, they created children during their madness, who in turn created children of their own and we have what we have today.

The midwest and california's destruction is from meth, crack and prescription pills. Lots of young homeless on the streets there and in Oregon.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 24,004,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
…... I just see black homeless people, which I have seen my whole life, even when rent was much cheaper.
That's ridiculous.Vast majority( like 80%) of homeless I saw in Boston were white and probably under 30.
Even here in my Bronx neighborhood,the white homeless population is quite evident.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,331,618 times
There is a growing homeless white population in NYC because they are coming from other parts of the country that have little to no services for them. The word is out about NYC and its requirement to house every man/woman/child...I am surprised there aren't more homeless here.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Most of LA's homeless is white and NYWriterdude can attest to this, since he lives there……….
OMG,marilyn,are you saying that NyWriterdude is really formerNyWriterdude or has secretly been neverNyWriterdude? Say it isn't so.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-22-2013 at 10:32 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
OMG,marilyn,are you saying that NyWriterdude is really formerNyWriterdude or has secretly been neverNyWriterdude? Say it isn't so.

What?

He said he moved there recently, so I'm sure he sees them everyday just like I used to.

Most of the criminals there are white and hispanic too, but of course, that vision might be incomprehensible to "some" in this forum.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
What?

He said he moved there recently, so I'm sure he sees them everyday just like I used to.

Most of the criminals there are white and hispanic too, but of course, that vision might be incomprehensible to "some" in this forum.
I guess I missed that he moved there.He better change his name again…. to LaWriterdude?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM

31,676 posts, read 26,614,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Yes, rent keeps skyrocketing, and if you lose that low paying job of yours what are you going to do? With that said I don't see many caucasians, asians or any other nationality walking around homeless, I just see black homeless people, which I have seen my whole life, even when rent was much cheaper.
It isn't just persons with "low wage" employment having problems, but many former solid middle-class persons as well.

Yesterday's WSJ had an excellent article on the plight of the long term unemployed. Many of these persons were earning $50K or above wages in very good jobs, then the financial crisis/recession hit and they were terminated. Most assumed they would find full time work again quickly but that hasn't always been the case. Once you exhaust your savings and or unemployment runs out what happens next?

One woman interviewed was in her late 40's or early 50's and has been out of work for several years. She lost her apartment, ran though her savings and has been couch surfing/living out of her car for years. Her current living arrangement of living with a friend was about to come to an end and she did not know where she would be living next.

I do see "white" homeless persons all over NYC. Some young, some middle aged but quite a few elderly especially women. Remember seeing one such woman near 58th Street and Sixth Avenue last winter. She had all her belongings in one of those pull shopping carts and you could tell my her manner and bearing she was *not* used to living rough. Gave a decent donation (to which she quietly thanked me), and said a prayer for God to look out after her.

So many persons in NYC live pay check to pay check or at least close to the edge. One major event like losing a job or unforeseen expenses can leave them literally out on the streets. If you are lucky there are family and friends to rely upon, if not there is the street.

Asian communities tend to be close knit, so family will help family even if they aren't thrilled. You'd be surprised how many Asian families live in *very* close quarters to have everyone with housing.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It isn't just persons with "low wage" employment having problems, but many former solid middle-class persons as well.

Yesterday's WSJ had an excellent article on the plight of the long term unemployed. Many of these persons were earning $50K or above wages in very good jobs, then the financial crisis/recession hit and they were terminated. Most assumed they would find full time work again quickly but that hasn't always been the case. Once you exhaust your savings and or unemployment runs out what happens next?

One woman interviewed was in her late 40's or early 50's and has been out of work for several years. She lost her apartment, ran though her savings and has been couch surfing/living out of her car for years. Her current living arrangement of living with a friend was about to come to an end and she did not know where she would be living next.

I do see "white" homeless persons all over NYC. Some young, some middle aged but quite a few elderly especially women. Remember seeing one such woman near 58th Street and Sixth Avenue last winter. She had all her belongings in one of those pull shopping carts and you could tell my her manner and bearing she was *not* used to living rough. Gave a decent donation (to which she quietly thanked me), and said a prayer for God to look out after her.

So many persons in NYC live pay check to pay check or at least close to the edge. One major event like losing a job or unforeseen expenses can leave them literally out on the streets. If you are lucky there are family and friends to rely upon, if not there is the street.

Asian communities tend to be close knit, so family will help family even if they aren't thrilled. You'd be surprised how many Asian families live in *very* close quarters to have everyone with housing.
Can you link the article please?

I'd like to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City