Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
How many stay at home moms exist in the city, thats if they are only on welfare. I though most moms in NYC work to support their children?
Yes,I would also say that most do but most isn't all.The number who don't isn't inconsequential.I know quite a few myself who don't work. It all adds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
his numbers could be right.
They aren't my numbers. They are official NYC numbers, reported in my earlier post:
http://www.ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports/...letterwenc.pdf

Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
How many stay at home moms exist in the city, thats if they are only on welfare. I though most moms in NYC work to support their children?
This is exactly what I meant. How is this not widely known ? I do not know myself, can only say that in various programs and projects I encounter many, many single and self-proclaimed "stay-at-home moms" on welfare. But I don't think this is enough to even estimate how many there are, what percentage of the population.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Lets not forget that the city obtains money not only from city taxes. City taxes don't really pay for a huge some of services. City has bonds, the city may have to take out loans from banking institutions. The city recieves grants from DC and Albany and last the annoying money maker fines. If the city had to soley finance and budger itself from city taxes via the 1 percent, the citt would really have a fiscsl nightmare.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
the city obtains money not only from city taxes.
The point is, that the incoming mayor proposes to completely fund full-day pre-school by increasing income taxes on the wealthy, who already pay the bulk of that tax.
Quote:
City has bonds, the city may have to take out loans from banking institutions.
The city has to repay those bonds and loans. Interest on municipal bonds is tax-free, which is why the wealthy buy them.
Quote:
The city recieves grants from DC and Albany
Generally, to provide services for the millions who aren't paying income tax.
Quote:
last the annoying money maker fines.
No one has to park illegally, or violate local ordinances. Those who do, pay.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
The point is, that the incoming mayor proposes to completely fund full-day pre-school by increasing income taxes on the wealthy, who already pay the bulk of that tax.

The city has to repay those bonds and loans. Interest on municipal bonds is tax-free, which is why the wealthy buy them.

Generally, to provide services for the millions who aren't paying income tax.

No one has to park illegally, or violate any of the numerous local ordinances. Those who do, pay.
No shyt! Tell me something I dont know?

Can't wait till next year. Lets see what Albany has to say to De Blasio!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Tell me something I dont know?
Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

High School English Grammar and Composition: P.C. Wren, H. Martin, N.D.V.Prasada Rao: 9788121900096: Amazon.com: Books

Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I did, but you are welcome to post alternative facts.

I understand the word "decile".

I've been working since I was 12. Filing tax returns since age 14. Will be earning income & filing taxes until I die. Most of those over 65 are receiving social security, many are receiving pensions, some are still working or at least reporting earned income from investments. All should be filing returns.
If you have some statistics reporting how many joint NYC income tax returns are filed, I'll be glad to click on the link.

You are the one jumping to conclusions. I quoted, accurately, that there are about 2.3 million NYers paying NYC income tax. Subtract that from the city's population.

You still haven't posted any facts, statistics or links to challenge my post. You are welcome to do so.
While you're at it, please respond to the main point, which was that less than 35,000 NYC taxpayers pay 43% of NYC's total income tax revenue.

Bloomie's total wealth is about one-third of an annual NYC budget. He did start with nothing, BTW.
Your claim was that 5 million New Yorkers do not work or work under the table, and thus pay no taxes. This did not follow from any of the numbers you posted, as I pointed out, and is obvious nonsense.

Now I have to admit I didn't think something through clearly, and assumed that the IBO study is counting a joint return as one "filer" rather than two. I don't know for sure if that's the case. However I think it's very likely that it is, because the Dept. of Taxation and Finance says there were 3.6 million "returns" in 2010, which is close to the IBO's 3.4 number for 2009: http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/stats/stat..._residence.pdf

I can't find anything on the % of NYC returns filed jointly, but here's a study saying that about 31% of federal returns in NY state are filed jointly. http://taxfoundation.org/blog/monday...-filed-jointly

If we assume the % is similar for returns in the city, the number of tax-filing adults works out to closer to 4.7 million. It might be off from that but I doubt it's wildly off.

The bigger point, though, was that it's extremely misleading to conclude, as you did, that 60%+ of New Yorkers are freeloading cheats without taking into account children (most of whom are under 14) and old people. You are mistaken, by the way, about seniors filing tax returns. SS income is not counted as gross income and so many seniors do not have to file.

I admit I didn't pay much attention to your post after the initial silliness, but to respond to it briefly: I just don't see it as a problem that we have a sharply progressive tax curve, or that people near the bottom don't pay anything. I doubt we'll ever agree on that, so I won't try to convince you, beyond noting that NYC is the center of a number spectacularly lucrative industries despite its steep tax curve, and there are successful societies around the world with even steeper curves.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM

Survey Says!

Family Feud Mistake - YouTube

Old 11-27-2013, 04:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Trickle down economics does not work in NYC!
Indeed, it doesn't work anywhere at all.

In fact, the ONLY way that income disparity keeps increasing in the United States is because the taxation system is facilitating a TRICKLE-UP system. (Or maybe even GUSH-UP.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City