Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times

Advertisements

my exterminator threw 2 little poison baits behind my stove, telling me that if the mice die they will not smell. I asked him to retrieve the baits (which he did) because i don't want dead mouse carcasses anywhere even if they don't smell. that is sooooo gross. im still recovering from a trapped mouse (not so bad) and a dead one under my kitchen table on 11/14. the trapped one not so bad after finding a dead one i could not sleep a wink and had to cancel a medical test the next AM i was so sickened.

trapping them is ok you just throw a rag over it and discard it but finding a dead one that is just gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
telling me that if the mice die they will not smell.
He must have ascertained that you have those special stainless steel mice that don't decay.

Remember the old ad "Promise her anything, but give her Arpege?"

You did well by telling him to remove the poison.
Quote:
trapping them is ok you just throw a rag over it and discard it but finding a dead one that is just gross
Just throw the same rag over the dead one.

Actually having your neck snapped is a lot better than a slow death from thirst in a garbage pile.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 AM

last year i asked the old super to disconnect the gas line from the stove so i could clean back there. i noticed a glue trap filled with dust (thought it was a mouse carcass) that was there before i even moved in in 2005. so i guess this mouse thing could always have been a problem (there is steel wool in the wall under the cabinet) that comes and goes. after 8 years living here this is the first time

Old 11-26-2013, 11:00 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,321 times
Now I remember why I originally thought you were a woman. Lol

Man up.

I can't stand the things either but I rather them dead than alive. Just take a bag and scooch it in with a disposable stick next time you see a dead one.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Now I remember why I originally thought you were a woman. Lol

Man up.

I can't stand the things either but I rather them dead than alive. Just take a bag and scooch it in with a disposable stick next time you see a dead one.
You may think rlrl's fear is unreasonable and excessive as a man, but it's perfectly explainable for people
who got some kind of phobia of certain objects or situations, and it triggers a panic reaction from them.
It's more of a medical condition and nothing to do with being a man or woman.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 PM

luvnyc--i had them 15 years ago and trapped several back then. i got immune to it and it was nothing. this was the first dead one i ever had in my history of 22 years in an apartment and what else can i say but its gross. if i see a rodent outside im fine with it but indoors its kind of...different!!!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:15 PM

my brother has difficulty dealing with insects and hes a married man with a kid...

Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
I saw something on a vacant parcel of land. I went closer and could see it was a big rat. It was breathing but unable to move. I returned 10 or 15 minutes later and it was dead. Probably poison. I took a stick and rolled it on its back, the stomach had a lighter color than the rest of the body. Typical Rattus Norvegicus. Completely different than a mouse.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
last year i asked the old super to disconnect the gas line from the stove so i could clean back there. i noticed a glue trap filled with dust (thought it was a mouse carcass) that was there before i even moved in in 2005. so i guess this mouse thing could always have been a problem (there is steel wool in the wall under the cabinet) that comes and goes. after 8 years living here this is the first time
It is very common to find rats and or mice near or behind ranges (stoves). First any opening in the walls such as pipes or electrical wiring invites either to come through. If it is not well sealed around mice or rats will simply chew at the hold to enlarge.

Once in sadly many homes especially apartments provide plenty of food in or around ranges. You'd be surprised at the crud of grease, food and god only knows what else that develops behind, under or in such things. I've known places where the oven and boiler pans have not been cleaned ever, period.

Even if vermin do not find anything in or around the range to eat, they often build nests in or around because the insulation makes wonderful material for such. Or, just use holes created as mentioned above for access to the apartment and come/go to forage.

The other popular spot for rodents in kitchens would be behind or in the fridge. Again the insulation makes for great nesting material and the motor generates gentle heat to keep things warm.

One thing both objects have in common is that they are often large and heavy, thus not frequently shifted. Again this is perfect for rodents since they prefer such places for nesting.

Whenever have looked at a new apartment *always* check under the sink, behind the range and fridge and where steam pipes enter for signs of rodents.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Get a cat.

Those poison bait things are horrible. The mouse eats the poison, goes back to the nest or into the walls and dies. The stench is horrible. At my old job they did this and it was beyond gross. You would come in first thing in the morning and practically vomit from the stench. They couldn't get the dead rodents because they were inside the walls. You would have to open every door and window and turn on fans to air it out before you could actually come in to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City