Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 12:37 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times

Advertisements

Ok I've got a serious question for everyone.

I'm supposed to help out a friend of a friend find an apartment in about a month. He's moving to the city from outside of the country for his job.

How does a foreigner with no work history in the USA, no current job in America, and no references fluent in English get an apartment thru a realtor?

In my neighborhood a lot of the immigrants move into small buildings or houses that are owned by a person from their home country. So its not a big deal for them. However this person is from a fairly wealthy country with no large immigrant enclave in NYC, so that is not in the cards. I'm thinking that his job is probably going to pay well enough that he will want to live in a nice neighborhood in Manhattan.

Will I be able to use a realtor with this guy if he doesn't have basic stuff for getting a regular apartment? (ie no credit score, no America pay stubs, no tax papers, no American character references).

The company he is working for is a large financial institution and his move over here will be completely legal with all of the appropriate visas, so that's not an issue. The company is going to provide some type of housing for about 6 weeks, but then he is supposed to find an apartment.

I haven't gotten the full details yet, but do these multi-national corporations usually get involved in the moving process? Will they help out or will this guy be on his own to find a place?

So will this guy be able to find a normal apartment in a building, or am I going to have to find a roomate situation where he won't have to provide all of this paperwork?

Any help or prior experience with this type of situation would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
He should check with his employer - maybe they do offer help. If not, he should at least get a letter from them certifying that he is employed by them and the salary. He will probably have to give 3 months' rent as a security deposit instead of the usual 1 month. In any case, once he arrives, he should try to start building credit history i.e. get a credit card from a US-based bank. He will need credit history for so many things. For example he might have a problem getting a cell phone contract without it.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:39 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
A lot of the no fee luxury rentals will take foreigners without SSN, credit history as long as they get an employer letter which is basically a letter stating that your friend is employed by them and what his yearly salary is. They then do the math on the 40x monthly rent.

Archstone and Related will also look at a lower security requirement. A lot of the brokerages etc will look at about six month minimum security.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 7,895 times
Please call us if you're looking for apartments, villas, office rent!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Usually the employer helps with getting its expatriate employees settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City