Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM

31,941 posts, read 27,057,104 times

Advertisements

Have been since the weekend and maybe for awhile: NYCHA tenants in Bronx left in cold as heating systems fail - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 04:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have been since the weekend and maybe for awhile: NYCHA tenants in Bronx left in cold as heating systems fail - NY Daily News
Well, this is what happens when you are completely dependent upon city services. The city workers are going home to their nice warm places, leaving residents to freeze. NYCHA has had huge federal funding cuts from the government and will likely get more huge funding cuts Jan. So anyone who wants to stay there had better get used to stuff like this.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,258,262 times
Every tenant has a right to basic services like functioning heat, welfare recipients or not. Nobody is getting used to abysmal conditions like freezing and non working toilets in their own home.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 AM

19,066 posts, read 13,995,482 times
Too bad. They're lucky we give them housing at all.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Every tenant has a right to basic services like functioning heat, welfare recipients or not. Nobody is getting used to abysmal conditions like freezing and non working toilets in their own home.
You can't force a slumlord (in this case NYCHA) to become a good landlord. If your landlord is ****ty, you have to move. I had a ****ty landlord and I moved. Plain and simple.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,258,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You can't force a slumlord (in this case NYCHA) to become a good landlord. If your landlord is ****ty, you have to move. I had a ****ty landlord and I moved. Plain and simple.
Slumlord or not. It doesn't matter. The law is on the tenants side when basic services like this break down.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 AM

483 posts, read 871,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Friends in Boerum Hill pjs out in Brooklyn had their heating services limited also over the breezy weekend.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Slumlord or not. It doesn't matter. The law is on the tenants side when basic services like this break down.
The law doesn't do ****. It really doesn't. I had an apartment in the Bronx. The people above had dogs, and when they bathed the dogs they would let the water over flow and it would go through the floor into my apartment. I sued the landlord for repairs, he made them. Only the tenants let their bathtub overflow again,and my ceiling got damaged again. And again.

And I just LEFT and moved out, as the landlord would be unable/unwilling to evict the tenants who constantly let their bathtubs overflow. My building had Section 8 people in it, who did ghetto things like throw garbage out the window . So it wasn't properly maintained.

Its a huge part of the reason I had welfare programs, and I will never live in a place that has a lot of program people again.

But I was in housing court, and I saw lots of other people there. Overall the court system does little for tenants. They are mainly concerned whether or not you can pay (if you can't its HASTA LA VISTA baby).

Those tenants will in NYCHA will need to find other places to stay, period, or risk getting sick. NYCHA has always been a horrible landlord, and its getting worse.

The bottom line is you are responsible for your own quality of life, and no one else. The courts and the government will not care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City