Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 PM

41 posts, read 94,385 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. So I am flying to China in January and my ticket says I must do an airport change after arriving at LaGuardia. I will arrive at 10:26am and my next flight at JFK leaves at 3:25pm. Assuming that I exit LaGaurdia airport around 11:00am at the latest, and the boarding time at JFK will be around 2:40pm which means I'll need to get there by 2:15 to go through security, this gives me about 3 hours of free time. Do you think this would be enough time to see a few friends in the area, grab some lunch, instagram a few touristy pictures, and haul ass to JFK via Subway? I know I could take a taxi..but being that it's my first time in New York..I want to experience as much as I can in those short amount of time. I don't plan on going on any type of tours or seeing any major attractions. I just kind of want to walk around the surrounding neighborhoods, stop into a few bodegas, get a real New York slice, and maybe see some street art or performers. Is this doable? Also is it going to be snowing there in late January?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you actually have no time.

Go straight from LGA to JFK. Take a taxi.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimisticStudent View Post
Hello Everyone. So I am flying to China in January and my ticket says I must do an airport change after arriving at LaGuardia. I will arrive at 10:26am and my next flight at JFK leaves at 3:25pm. Assuming that I exit LaGaurdia airport around 11:00am at the latest, and the boarding time at JFK will be around 2:40pm which means I'll need to get there by 2:15 to go through security, this gives me about 3 hours of free time. Do you think this would be enough time to see a few friends in the area, grab some lunch, instagram a few touristy pictures, and haul ass to JFK via Subway? I know I could take a taxi..but being that it's my first time in New York..I want to experience as much as I can in those short amount of time. I don't plan on going on any type of tours or seeing any major attractions. I just kind of want to walk around the surrounding neighborhoods, stop into a few bodegas, get a real New York slice, and maybe see some street art or performers. Is this doable? Also is it going to be snowing there in late January?

Thank you
You plan to arrive at JFK at 2:15 for an international flight that has a boarding time of 2:40? Is that a typo?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 PM

ahahaha. I apologize, my assumptions are evidently completely off base. I've never taken an international flight so I am going based off my experience with domestic flights. I live in Los Angeles and if there is a flight at 3:45pm, the boarding time will usually be at 3:00 (45 minutes before), and checking bags/going through security never takes more than 25-30minutes. So for a 3:45 domestic flight from LAX..I wouldn't arrive any earlier than 2:30pm. I've never missed a flight and never had any issues. But as I said, I see my application of this assumption was erroneous given the international nature of the flight. So do I really not have ANY time whatsoever to walk around or grab a quick 30-45 minute lunch with a friend? Looking at traffic and route options..from LaGuardia to JFK it's 15mins to 45mins in traffic. So that still leaves me with 2 hours at the very least. Does it really take 2 hours to board an international flight?

Last edited by OptimisticStudent; 11-26-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM

257 posts, read 685,072 times
I disagree, you have a bit of time, if your inbound flight arrives on time and you get your luggage quickly. Going to Manhattan is definitely out of the question. You can take the Q72 to Jackson Heights and ask your friends to meet you there. There you can walk towards 74th Street, get a slice (or better, an empanada) and witness an authentic neighborhood. From 74th and Roosevelt you can take the E to the Air Train and be at your terminal in about 35 minutes. For a 3:25 flight you should definitely aim to check in before 2, even 1:45, so that gives you about an hour of spare time. Now, if one of your friends had a car or was willing to get a Zipcar... you could instagram the the Flushing Meadows sphere.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,100 times
It is not the boarding that is in an issue per say, it's the fact that there are normally a lot more people on international flights and at the international terminal in general. That means it's a much longer wait to check in your bags, along with a longer line to go through security on top of the longer board time. If you only have a carry-on bag and you do a web check in, you might be able to get by arriving at 2:20pm. Otherwise, get there by no later than 1:20pm. I travel out of JFK often, and for me, arriving 2 hours before my scheduled departure time for an international flight works well. It gives me just enough of a buffer time in case there any problems at check in or security.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Thank you PsychoPompos and Astorian31. That's exactly what I needed. That 1 hour will fly by but I will make the most of it. Will it be snowing at the end of January? If so, I'll have to rethink my shorts and sandals attire lol.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,100 times
You would have to check the weather in NYC the day before your flight. January is cold in NY, so chances are that if there's a storm, it will snow. Or at the very least, a very cold and mushy rain shower. Shorts and sandals are definitely out of the question, especially if you want to play tourist. Always be sure to check the NY/NJ port authority website for NYC airport delays, especially if there's a chance of a storm.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 PM

364 posts, read 708,343 times
Just out of curiosity, where are you flying in from?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:24 PM

I'll be flying in from Birmingham, AL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City