Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 AM

93 posts, read 125,398 times

Advertisements

They should landfill the new jersey meadowlands and connect new jersey via 2nd train, 7 train, L train and an extension of the path train north of the hoboken line. This would make Northern new jersey more transit friendly and have the density of brooklyn/queens easing housing costs across the region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
I notice that you're somewhat of a fan of density...

Old 11-28-2013, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
NJ does not exist for the convenience of Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:06 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
LOL , I guess somebody failed high school...but the Hudson River separates the 2 states. As for North Jersey transit , we have a stalled plan that connect Urban Jersey with Suburban Jersey with Rural Jersey with New York.... New Yorkers should focus on completing their system....theres also the Amtrak Gateway that would solve the regional congestion between the 2 states and then some.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
No everyone wants to live in super dense areas. When are some of you going to get this through your heads? If you want to live car free, then you're going to be limited to certain areas. Deal with it.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:56 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
They tried to fill the Meadowlands with pig manure and toxic waste, and it remains submerged. Anyway, wetlands protection regulation won't let you do it, so it ain't going to happen. Also, much of Hudson County is already denser than Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 PM

499 posts, read 793,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No everyone wants to live in super dense areas. When are some of you going to get this through your heads? If you want to live car free, then you're going to be limited to certain areas. Deal with it.
Well he's proposing this to be done in the Meadowlands, where hardly anyone lives. There is a demand to live in dense, walkable communities and they are in short supply. If you want to live in sprawl, that's fine, and 99% of this country's built environment offers you that.

But great ideas, people, art, culture, etc. more often come from cities and you need a certain density to support their cultural institutions. A reason why badly planned Staten Island can't produce anything notable besides closed-minded residents.

The major problem with density in this city/country is that our infrastructure can't keep up. We should solve those issues before paving over the Meadowlands. There are still plenty of neighborhoods to revitalize in the 5 boroughs that would be much more cost effective. Though badly degraded, the Meadowlands is still an ecosystem worth preserving.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:37 PM

93 posts, read 125,398 times
I'm only saying this as an option if the other boroughs become to crowded. This won't happen till brooklyn and queens get too crowded followed by the Bronx. And for those of you who like the less urban feel in the region, I'm sorry to say that many people that I know (and I hangout in different social circles ranging from artists to engineers) want to move to your city for the opportunities. I for example, am from chicago, a second tier city relative to new york, and going for a degree in physics and mechanical engineering and want to move to new york because of your booming tech sector, which (the tech area) is becoming more closely intertwined with manufacturing. Furthermore (more of a side note), I grew up in Humboldt Park, one of Chicago's more crime ridden areas but still not too bad, a crime rate similar to that of the south bronx, so I and many others would be accustomed to the conditions new york has in areas like the south bronx and would not be afraid to move there and would move there if the rent was inexpensive or even buy and relatively close to the central core.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
But great ideas, people, art, culture, etc. more often come from cities and you need a certain density to support their cultural institutions. A reason why badly planned Staten Island can't produce anything notable besides closed-minded residents.
Here we go again...

Yes I get it, you're better than me and the millions upon millions of people in this country (I suppose the world too) who do not "see the light" like you do. Thank you so much for allowing such backward folk as myself to be members of your club.

Now let me translate myself so you can open your "Degenerate People's Translator" to understand what I am trying to say:

Not ebwyone bes as enlit-ed as yous. We'd liken 2 stay hour home-places the whey dey ares now. Pleace leab us alone so we's can live les densed like we's be'd wantin' 2. Danks kind sers and mams.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high density View Post
I'm only saying this as an option if the other boroughs become to crowded. This won't happen till brooklyn and queens get too crowded followed by the Bronx. And for those of you who like the less urban feel in the region, I'm sorry to say that many people that I know (and I hangout in different social circles ranging from artists to engineers) want to move to your city for the opportunities. I for example, am from chicago, a second tier city relative to new york, and going for a degree in physics and mechanical engineering and want to move to new york because of your booming tech sector, which (the tech area) is becoming more closely intertwined with manufacturing. Furthermore (more of a side note), I grew up in Humboldt Park, one of Chicago's more crime ridden areas but still not too bad, a crime rate similar to that of the south bronx, so I and many others would be accustomed to the conditions new york has in areas like the south bronx and would not be afraid to move there and would move there if the rent was inexpensive or even buy and relatively close to the central core.
Oh, well then let us get right on that! After all, we wouldn't want anyone from your different social circles to find the perfect conditions that they require to move to our fair city unattainable on their limited budgets! I'm going to call some people I know in NJ right now to let them know that the neighborhoods they know and love are far less dense than you approve of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City