Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,369,630 times

Advertisements

Stop and frisk and gentrification
is just another rogue system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,927,087 times
The conservative mind is narrow and simple minded. It's posts like this that solidify my feelings towards them and their lack of any empathy.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM

911 posts, read 1,127,237 times
LOL. Wow this conversation is hilarious. Just because one doesn't live in NYC doesn't mean one can't have an opinion on stop and frisk. What a ridiculous notion. I don't live in California but I think it's great they legalized pot, repealed prop 8, fund green energies, etc. It's sets precedence for other states to follow. I also think they could benefit from high speed rail. It would be ridiculous for a Californian to come in and tell me I can't have an opinion on these things, or that my opinion is irrelevant because I don't live there. I obviously can't vote for or against any issue in California, but I can express my educated opinion whenever, wherever. I don't know why sometime gets flak for not being a NYer.

That being said, as a minority, I wouldn't mind too much putting up with racial profiling and whatnot that comes with stop and frisk, which are a direct violation of my civil rights, if it actually produced results. All the data that has come in all says the same thing, Stop and Frisk is useless. Crime rates haven't gone down more dramatically then the national average and the direct results of stop and frisk has only produced an arrest rate of 3%.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,286,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Good to know that as a black man outside of NYC, you still know what it would be like to be of every other ethnicity within NYC city limits. As for myself, being a bi-racial man in NYC, I've been profiled as being of pretty much every race other than white or black.

I realize that every case is not the same but I can bet that you and I have more similiar experiences than a white person who never set foot near a project. Have you been "rough up" by the police or know anyone who has? Well I have. Lets put it this way, if there are any black/latino in NYC that has been "roughed up" by the police in the process of being searched and frisked we have common experience and therefore the place that it happens would not make a difference now would it?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
LOL. Wow this conversation is hilarious. Just because one doesn't live in NYC doesn't mean one can't have an opinion on stop and frisk. What a ridiculous notion. I don't live in California but I think it's great they legalized pot, repealed prop 8, fund green energies, etc. It's sets precedence for other states to follow. I also think they could benefit from high speed rail. It would be ridiculous for a Californian to come in and tell me I can't have an opinion on these things, or that my opinion is irrelevant because I don't live there. I obviously can't vote for or against any issue in California, but I can express my educated opinion whenever, wherever. I don't know why sometime gets flak for not being a NYer.

That being said, as a minority, I wouldn't mind too much putting up with racial profiling and whatnot that comes with stop and frisk, which are a direct violation of my civil rights, if it actually produced results. All the data that has come in all says the same thing, Stop and Frisk is useless. Crime rates haven't gone down more dramatically then the national average and the direct results of stop and frisk has only produced an arrest rate of 3%.
Exactly!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM

18,930 posts, read 13,809,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I know as much about NYC as you know what it is to be black, so what is your point? If whites can make comments about blacks and latinos why can't I make comments about New York?
Good day sir.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post

It's not about having an opinion. It's about speaking authoritatively on the subject, even going so far as to continually tell people who live here and interact in these places that they know more than us about the subject. That is as much nonsense as it would be if you told someone living next to a California pot dispensary how much better their neighborhood was because of its existence.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You do not relate to every black or Latino male in America. I guarantee that I have spent much more time in NYC black and hispanic communities then you have. I have many times been the token non-black or non-hispanic guy, making me more of a minority around here than anyone else. I have been profiled for not being black in a black neighborhood.
Being around blacks and latinos does not make you black by association. It is a known fact that blacks and latinos are treated much differently as a whole by the police than whites. Do you think that your experences hanging with blacks and latinos in NYC are the same as BEING black or latino living in Chicago, Newark, Compton or the the Fifth Ward in Houston?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I realize that every case is not the same but I can bet that you and I have more similiar experiences than a white person who never set foot near a project.
lol, well there goes your argument against me. If you think I'm speaking out of my anus, you can do a simple search which will reveal plenty of posts regarding my project experience going back quite awhile.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's not about having an opinion. It's about speaking authoritatively on the subject, even going so far as to continually tell people who live here and interact in these places that they know more than us about the subject. That is as much nonsense as it would be if you told someone living next to a California pot dispensary how much better their neighborhood was because of its existence.

Well you are doing the same thing speaking from the perspective of a white person regarding on the relationship that blacks and latinos historically have with the police. Like I said before blacks from other parts of the country have more in common with blacks/latinos in NYC than you do eventhough you live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City