Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's not about having an opinion. It's about speaking authoritatively on the subject, even going so far as to continually tell people who live here and interact in these places that they know more than us about the subject. That is as much nonsense as it would be if you told someone living next to a California pot dispensary how much better their neighborhood was because of its existence.
You don't have to live in place to know more about whats going on area. It generally helps, yeah, but many people are generally ignorant about many things that go on in their area outside of their personal bubble. For example, someone in Brownsville might say there area is worse than ever because they keep hearing shots at night or seeing hoodlums on the street, and while there probably are gunshots at night and hoodlums on the street, the crime data shows that the neighborhood has gotten better over the years. Thats not say Brownsville is a safe neighborhood, its just hasn't gotten worse, so even though I don't live in Brownsville, I could tell the person that while they may feel less safe, the neighborhood has not gotten worse.

And if the there were any data that showed that the Californian neighborhood improved because of the pot dispensary, such as higher real estate prices, lower crime rates, better schools, I could very much tell that person their neighborhood is better because of the pot dispensary even though I don't live there.

The data that Stop and Frisk is ineffective is available for a ll to see, not just NYers. Anyone with basic reasoning skills can also deduce the violations of basic civil rights that its has created. You don't need to be a NYer to see that. What the courts rule on the matter is irrelevant because they generally try to protect their law enforcement officers until they have no choice but admit defeat, and remember even the highest courts have been wrong. At one time, the supreme court considered African Americans as property.

Last edited by Astorian31; 12-22-2013 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:16 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm a person of color and we have nothing in common. Don't ASSume.

That is why I said most. Since you are someone that apparently have some self hatered issues I'm glad that I don't

Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
No place is ever going to be crime free.

That was never the issue or even part of the discussion

With that said, street crimes like mugging, street prostitution, gang violence, armed robbery tend to be much higher in the poor areas of big cities than they are in suburbs.

That is true but they do happen. Mass murders tend to happen in the suburbs and not so much in the urban areas unless there is a gang war

The murder rate is much worse in Brownsville than it is in Hicksville, LI. You cannot compare the two locations in terms of safety and crime.

Please pay attention, no one was comparing two areas. The conversation revolved around people of color having more common with one another in similiar situations

The people of color I know who live in better areas tend to avoid places like Brownsville, ENY, and the South Bronx.

Once again that has nothing to do with the converssation

Its ghetto! Not all people of color in NYC like each other. We have class/socioeconomic differences, and yes, people are shunned for being hood/ghetto/on welfare.
What does that have to do with anything that was being discussed? Even if they do not like each other they still have more in common than a white person who does not share their same experiences

Old 12-22-2013, 10:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That is why I said most. Since you are someone that apparently have some self hatered issues I'm glad that I don't
I have no self hatred issues. At the same point, I don't claim to represent the ghetto.

I have no problem with the cops. Its not my problem or fault you apparently do.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything that was being discussed? Even if they do not like each other they still have more in common than a white person who does not share their same experiences
Who says all people of color share the same experiences? Ever heard of the word stereotype?

Different people of color come from different national backgrounds, different socioeconomic backgrounds, and other different backgrounds.

To assume we share the same experiences is ridiculous.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt an old Black woman who lives as a farmer in the Mississippi Delta has much in common with a young Black woman living in Brownsville, other than they are Black and female.

An upper Middle Class Cuban from Florida (many of them are Republican) has nothing to do with a Puerto Rican on welfare in the Bronx.

An Argentine Banker from New York (who has a Columbia MBA) has little in common with a Mexican field labor in Arkansas.

I could go on, but there's no need to.

You are a racist, Simetime. In typical racist fashion, all people of color are classified as one big person by you. You are classifying people of color as the BORG (one hive mind, no capacity for actual individual thought or experience) and projecting your own issues on to everyone else.

Stop declaring yourself the spokesperson for people of color on this forum. You aren't. Neither am I or anyone else.

There is no spokesperson for people of color and we are very different from each other.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:47 PM

[quote=NyWriterdude;32716726]I seriously doubt an old Black woman who lives as a farmer in the Mississippi Delta has much in common with a young Black woman living in Brownsville, other than they are Black and female.

So two black females do not have anything in common?

An upper Middle Class Cuban from Florida (many of them are Republican) has nothing to do with a Puerto Rican on welfare in the Bronx.

either you do not read or you want to start a conversation regarding something totally different then what was initially started. I said that people of color living in similiar situations have more in common than a white person who does'nt
Once again

An Argentine Banker from New York (who has a Columbia MBA) has little in common with a Mexican field labor in Arkansas.

I could go on, but there's no need to.

You are a racist, Simetime. In typical racist fashion, all people of color are classified as one big person by you. You are classifying people of color as the BORG (one hive mind, no capacity for actual individual thought or experience) and projecting your own issues on to everyone else.

If you would read and try to comphrend as to what is being discussed you would have a clue as to what is going on. I find it interesting that a peudo black person is the only one to call me a racist. I been on this forum for years and not ONE white person has ever called me that. Thanks for sharing your own cluelessness with us all

Stop declaring yourself the spokesperson for people of color on this forum. You aren't. Neither am I or anyone else.

I will stop if you will stop acting like you know what the hell that you are talking about

Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Simetime, you have yet to answer a single question directly with a real answer. I don't converse that way. Sorry.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Thanks for summing these last few pages up so concisely.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
mr. oreo can't tell anyone what to think. gthoh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City