Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the laughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Hmmm, another supposed transplant who fits those stereotypes down to the tee.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
A subsection of ENY.
You actually could count that area as a subsection of East NY, but it would be New Lots, not Spring Creek.

On a side note, does anybody know if New Lots is considered interchangable with ENY proper? (In other words, does New Lots include the area by say, Pennsylvania/Pitkin? It's not Broadway Junction, City Line, Spring Creek, Starrett City, or Cypress Hills, so would it be New Lots, or just plain ol' ENY?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Is that what they told you, spring creek?
LMAO. What gets me is this idea that Spring Creek is "up-and-coming".

Remember a while back somebody was told that they moved into "State Gardens"? The sad thing was that I'm pretty sure was an actual person who was tricked by their realtor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I don't believe that area is regarded as Spring Creek. That's East New York proper if you ask me, and you will be located between Cypress Hills Housing and the Louis H Pink Houses. There was about 2-3 media-reported victims in that area recently to the demented teenaged 'knock-out' assaults. That's knee deep in ENY for sure.

Starett City, Spring Creek/Gateway = South of Flatlands Ave.
Actually, it's not between those two developments (both Pink & Cypress Hills are further east). He's not really between any two projects (I guess you could say between the Boulevard Houses & Cypress Hills, though that would be a bit of a stretch). Either way, it's not a good area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
You're in Starrett City, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and it is east new york. But to answer your question it is far out in bk.. your almost in queens. So yes an hour is being generous.
If it were Starrett City, that would provide some semblance of truth to what the "supposed" realtor said about it not being associated with ENY, but that's not the case because it's New Lots, not Starrett City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Wikipedia says the median household income of Starrett is $56K? That seems abnormally high.
The census actually put the income as being $22K, though that seems abnormally low. If I had to guess, it would be in the $40K - $50K range.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
You are correct, those housing projects are a few blocks to the east. Either way he would be located just a few blocks away from all 3 housing blocks.

About ENY proper, as an east Brooklyn local, I would consider the area south of Atlantic Ave and south of the Conduit (where Atlantic meets the Conduit), north of Flatlands ave, east of the L-train line and eastward to the Hole as ENY proper. Then yes, pretty much New Lots. This is the area of stereotypical East New York. The one we see on videos (either hip hop, documentaries or old movies) and on the news or the one we picture in our imagination.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:32 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganache79 View Post
I'm in the Spring Creek/Gateway Area, NOT East New York!
That's not Spring Creek. Spring Creek is much further away, on Loring Avenue. the B14 bus goes there:
http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b014cur.pdf

Those buildings behind the movie theater are the original Spring Creek. Starrett City recently renamed itself to Spring Creek towers, but the 1st and real Spring Creek development is what many call Spring Creek.

You are in the subneighborhood of New Lots, in the neighborhood of East Nu Yawwwwwwwk!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganache79 View Post
Ugh! That's a much longer commute than I have now. But it was hard to say no to the low rent, especially in Brooklyn a neighborhood that's up and coming and 'on its way'.
Just how low is this rent, cuz' anything past Utica on the 3? I'd never pay 4 digits for anything in that area. "On it's way" he says... Sorry pal.

Oh but hey, I got a bridge I could sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City