Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:28 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,006 times

Advertisements

GO BACK
City simply have no room for people at the moment, visiting is welcome
A friend of minds recently was trying to find a decent home in
Manhatten, couldnt find one. Stayed there with a family member for about
2 months wanted to get out the city. Felt like being trap inside a box
_______after awhile there is no fun there, dont take long to run into the same/similar
store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM

50 posts, read 63,860 times
Who the HELL would voluntarily want to live in an outer borough car-less? You can get away with it in Manhattan, but you need a car in the outer-boroughs of NYC.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubEd View Post
From what i gathered from other responses on this forum. We wont be taking our cars with us and its going to kill our credit when we give them back though... I want to stay close to the city, Which areas would you suggets ? Is finding employment fairly easy or is it difficult getting a job out there?

Blvd East in New Jersey is nice, great view and cheaper. A hop skip and jump to NYC. I lived there back in the 80's.

– – – NYC VEIW + BALCONY DECK + H/HW INCLUDED – – – pics (broken link)

Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 PM

112 posts, read 649,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Who the HELL would voluntarily want to live in an outer borough car-less? You can get away with it in Manhattan, but you need a car in the outer-boroughs of NYC.
umm..thats not true at all actually. you can walk around to most places or take public transportation, and yet having a car is still doable. (referring to most parts of brooklyn and queens..don't know much about the bronx or staten island).

Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 AM

146 posts, read 689,056 times
Agreed. You absolutely don't need a car in most of Queens, Brooklyn, or the Bronx. Southeastern Brooklyn and northeastern Queens are areas that aren't convenient to the subway, which can be a pain. Staten Island has the railway (basically like lone subway line) and buses all over, but getting around the borough is easiest by car.

To a lesser degree, getting from one spot to another in a the other outer boroughs is often easier in a car, since the subways are basically structured to bring people into and out of Manhattan, without as much intra-borough transit in mind.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:15 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
You don't need a car in the outer-boroughs (save Staten Island, where you really do need a car) however it can make life so much nicer. Every once in a while I like to drive to the local Mall or Target and buy some clothes or other stuff. Generally I'll only do this on the weekends though.

During most of the week I just walk around my neighborhood as there is no need for a car for everyday type stuff (groceries included).

I think this applies to most parts of the outer boroughs. Cars aren't necessary but they can make you life a whole lot easier at times.

If I were you, I'd ditch one car and keep the other.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:34 PM

20 posts, read 134,475 times
I live in Brooklyn, and if we need a car we just use Zipcar. We have access to a car when we want it, and we don't have to be concerned with parking, insurance, registration, or the price of gas. And to be honest, we never NEED a car, it's just fun every now and then to go to a Jersey mall, and sometimes we don't feel like taking the LIRR to relatives in Long Island, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City