Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,878,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or alternatively, someone who has been on the dole for a very long time. I don't think anyone who wasn't personally on welfare long term would defend it so vigorously. Notice how everyone else in situations like this honestly tries to give advice on finding a job or housing, yet her first advice is state aid?
Good point.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 PM

11,535 posts, read 12,558,128 times
Quote:
All schools that accept federal aid offer the work study program, from CUNY to the Ivies. They also have career counselors and other resources on campus that advise students on getting jobs. This is pretty much any accredited college that accepts federal financial aid. So you're right. A combination of financial aid, money from my parents, and my working got me through my college years. I even worked jobs on campus. If all else fails, the OP could even get restaurant/bar jobs.
This also helps to remind you that the end of the year is approaching and you and/or guardians will need to fill out the FASA. If your family is unable to do this, make an appointment with the financial aid office so that someone will help you fill it out. It's too late for you to get a work study job this year, but you must apply for it through the FASA for the following year. I strongly urge you to get that form filled out by the end of January as when it comes to financial aid, first come, first served. Work study jobs can be career starters as you might be able to find something on campus that is related to your prospective field.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,805,828 times
The other reasons why no sane person should recommend a college student stay in a shelter is this. In shelters they wake you up and kick you out at 7am? What if a student has been up all night studying or has worked all night? They'd need the extra sleep, but that's not going to fly in most shelters. And its not like you'll have your own private room to store your clothes, laptop, etc. What about your things getting stolen?

The OP should avoid going to a shelter if at all possible. Advice on getting a job and renting a room and/or staying on campus and getting financial aid is the best way to go. And yes, if you absolutely cannot get your mother to fill out financial aid papers, be honest and tell the financial aid office.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,981,569 times
Quote:
Or alternatively, someone who has been on the dole for a very long time. I don't think anyone who wasn't personally on welfare long term would defend it so vigorously. Notice how everyone else in situations like this honestly tries to give advice on finding a job or housing, yet her first advice is state aid?
I have never been on welfare or collected SNAP benefits. Ever.

The OP specifically asked for Shelter help. I didn't volunteer it.

You're a hypocrite to the 10th power. I used to like your posts, but you switched up big time.

You're the definition of "follow the leader" and "go along to get along" now. Shame.

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-03-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
Default Shelter is no place for a young college student...wish you the best

Marilyn220.... If I knew enough about NY, I certainly would have given her any info I could. That was very good of you! I'm keeping you and this young college student in my prayers! As for these men who only think of how they can use a young girl trying to complete her college education, after clearly going through some bad times so young...grow up guys and learn some decent manners! What if she were your sister, niece, daughter? Your "offers" were not meant to help, only to be self-serving and try to take advantage of a young girl, trying her best to finish college so that she can begin and establish her career to support herself! Marilyn is so correct...@ minimum wage, working while in college isnt enough to get by!! She clearly needs some sound advice on student financial aid, work/study program, etc. Thank goodness, atleast one person (Marilyn), has given her constructive and reasonable advice that will be helpful! God bless and take care, to you, Marilyn and 'College Student'.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:10 PM

112 posts, read 180,305 times
Theres a nice damp spot under scaffolding on the corner of 8th and 29th...

Old 01-21-2015, 11:22 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,835,231 times
No shelter.

NYC Public Assistance welfare (NYCHRA) will now give total benefits to anyone going to a 2 or 4 year college or university. They will support all 4 years. A student can then file for all eligible financial aid and loans including work study and internships.

NYCHRA Payment for rent is still small around $215 a month for a person with no children. But you can supplement it with the work study and if necessary loans. If you have to take out loans hopefully you are not getting a liberal arts degree.

This should give the OP enough funds to finish college and to rent something until graduation.

Go to your nearest NYCHRA center call 311 to get an address.

Best wishes.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,197 times
Girl take it easy I was in the exact same situation as you and I'm am 30. Wow the mistakes I made I had no one to guide me. Here's my advise get a low income housing book and apply for different places put yourself on the waiting list while your still young go to a women's shelter and get a little job and save up on some money and try to complete school in the meantime make sure you put yourself on the section 8 wait list now remember you can apply to more one state so don't be afraid to move you if you really have to. eventually someone will call about and apartment your still young but plan now you have so much opportunity and don't be afraid to take chances if it fails keep trying until all is well.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
No shelter.

NYC Public Assistance welfare (NYCHRA) will now give total benefits to anyone going to a 2 or 4 year college or university. They will support all 4 years. A student can then file for all eligible financial aid and loans including work study and internships.

NYCHRA Payment for rent is still small around $215 a month for a person with no children. But you can supplement it with the work study and if necessary loans. If you have to take out loans hopefully you are not getting a liberal arts degree.

This should give the OP enough funds to finish college and to rent something until graduation.

Go to your nearest NYCHRA center call 311 to get an address.

Best wishes.
People with liberal arts degrees can teach, work in the non profit sector, go to MBA school, law school, grad school to become professors, can work in film, television, advertising, etc.

It amazes me the ignorance concerning the humanities you see around town.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:57 PM

4 posts, read 11,676 times
Hey, everyone. I know I'm late, but I did always plan on posting an update. I've been very busy, trying to be productive. I wanted to say thank you to the people who left encouraging responses, and kept me in their prayers because I read through all of them. I'm not worried about the negative and/or ignorant comments.

I'm currently living with another friend, who is aware of my situation, and allowed me to stay with them until I get my own apartment. It's hard, but I'm trying to stay strong.

I have a job that pays decent money, and I am doing what everyone told me to do, which is saving money. I applied to NYCHA housing, but haven't heard anything from them yet, or any of the other low income apartments that I applied to. I wish everything can be done expeditiously, but I know everything takes time.

Right now everything is okay. I'm just living trying to get by.

I'm still learning to get my life on the right track. Don't think that I do not need anymore advice because any good advice is better than none at all.

Thank You :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: