U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM

25,848 posts, read 39,166,860 times

Advertisements

Is your quality of life worth downsizing to live in a crappy area? Who cares if you're 15 minutes from "the nightlife..."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,755,993 times
It could be all a joke or it can be an act of desperation just to live in Brooklyn. I think in the long run many will regret it if the 'incursions' to the interior or east continues.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 30,357,796 times
Seventh you joined CD same month and year that I did.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 PM

5,699 posts, read 6,525,473 times
?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,344,576 times
I wonder this too. People are willing to deal with routine violence AND pay more rent to save 20 minutes a day on the train? It makes no sense to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:13 PM

73 posts, read 63,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I wonder this too. People are willing to deal with routine violence AND pay more rent to save 20 minutes a day on the train? It makes no sense to me.
Whether these people are real or fake a big concern seems to be the commute to Williamsburg as well as, or maybe instead of, Manhattan. I've definitely seen this IRL too, people wanting to get to Williamsburg with ease on the train. It's the first thing some people ask. So on a small budget that often means some pretty crappy areas.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget79 View Post
So on a small budget that often means some pretty crappy areas.
There's cheap places to live that aren't crappy, they're just far....but for some getting their iPod stolen out of their hand sounds better than a 80-90 minute commute.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:25 PM

12,348 posts, read 23,497,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Is your quality of life worth downsizing to live in a crappy area? Who cares if you're 15 minutes from "the nightlife..."
I think the last few that we've seen here are trolls. However, as I mentioned in one of those threads, even if they are trolls, it is believable that people from out of town are coming on here dying to live in BROOKLYN and only have $1100 per month to spend on rent, so of course they are directed to the shiitest parts of ENY, Bed-Stuy, East Flatbush and maybe even Brownsville (even though there are still nice parts of Brooklyn for $1100; they are just further away from a hip and happening scene)

There may be a misconception out there in fly-over country that Brooklyn is now synonymous with hip, cool and gentrified. So if they hear that the apartment is in Brooklyn and they are shown photos of the inside of it, they can't possibly conceive of the lack of amenities and the troubles that await them in the neighborhood or even in the building's own elevators or outside on the stoop.

Maybe they just don't know how crappy it is.

Also, it's still not hard to find places that are cheap and not a million miles away from everything. I have a friend in Elmhurst who gets to a job in Midtown in 30 minutes door to door on the E/R trains, and there is also a bus to Bushwick right near where she lives if she ever needs to go to see where the young hip kids are living 8 people in a "tree house" loft.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:26 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,917,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If I recall correctly, you prefer to stick around in the less famous rockways,,,which is not any less crappy than some of those bad areas

Old 12-03-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If I recall correctly, you prefer to stick around in the less famous rockways,,,which is not any less crappy than some of those bad areas
By choice. I grew up out here, so it's not like I don't know the area. But I still have a 50 minute commute one way to work. For me it's not about being close to "the nightlife." It's choosing to stay and own in a community I grew up in.

So you missed my point. These people would rather live in a crappy area 15 minutes away from the night hot spots then live an hour away from the night hot spots in a decent area. My situation its totally unlike theirs. My area is crappy (but getting better), and I'm far from the night life. Lol.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City