Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,320,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
This! In my building now it's hard to do laundry bc there is only one washer dryer per floor for 36 floors and most people do multiple loads on multiple floors at a time. In my previous small elevator building we had 4 washers and 4 dryers and there were only about 16 units so it was never an issue.

Usually you have to pay a fee for all the amenaties. We have a gym but its $400 a year and a pool which is $250 for Memorial Day - Labor day + $25 per guest.
Such poor planing for the washing machines. I wonder if it's intentional so the landlord can save on water and other operating costs.

Op, what about the Financial District?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:05 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,607,030 times
If you don't mind going to Jersey side of hudson I would look into Edgewater (river road) and Fort Lee. For $3000 you can get a fantastic 2BR 2BA and still be within 30-45 bus ride into Manhattan.
Edgewater is fantastic

Old 12-05-2013, 04:27 PM

103 posts, read 161,987 times
so only choice is a 2br flex? Not an actual 2br.. How much higher would I need to up my budget to get a true 2br?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times
$4-$5k, and you would start to find true luxury 2BRs open up, 2/2s with decent bedroom sizes, not a flex, and not a 1BR with a much smaller occasional bedroom. Closer to the Seaport, you may start to find 2/2 in the higher $3ks, as well, say $3800 or so for a newer building, such as those on Gold.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,710,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
That's funny.
None lux building can have laundry in the building just to let you know.
Be aware many gym memberships in lux buildings are an additional cost to your rent. Building I know vary from $500 to $1200 a year.

Untrue. Many luxury buildings have laundry facilities in the basement as well as w/d hookups in the apartments themselves.

Also, not all buildings charge for the gym memberships. My friend's building has a full gym as well as a pool and she doesn't have to pay a penny extra.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:26 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,209,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Untrue. Many luxury buildings have laundry facilities in the basement as well as w/d hookups in the apartments themselves.

Also, not all buildings charge for the gym memberships. My friend's building has a full gym as well as a pool and she doesn't have to pay a penny extra.
I meant non lux. buildings.

ANd your friend is lucky, do you know how old her building is? Most newer building you have to or sometimes they give you the first year free and when you renew you then have to pay. Happened to me in one building.

The ones with w/d in their apts are $2500 for a studio. I highly doubt the op will find a true 2 bedroom with a washer and dryer in his apt for his max at $3300.

Anyway point was if the op is looking for a lux building just for the ease of laundry and gym in the building they need to know not only lux buildings have laundry in them. If they need a gym in the building them perhaps they do need a lux building but it is nyc gyms are everywhere. I live in a non lux building with laundry in my building but the gym is outside a whole 2 minute walk away.

I lived in a lux building like ohio girl and we had washer and dryers on every floor. ALthough we had 2 and she only has 1. But same situation, they were always being used, with 30 some apts per floor it's not quite enough. Often you have to ride the elevator looking for open machines on other floors.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:20 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,762,075 times
As an agent im going to tell you you can find 2br in non luxury/doorman buildings with laundry in the building. Even some doorman bldgs that dont have a gym. Its a bit harder cause alot of things will be flex/convertibles in doorman bldgs also some you have to pay for using the gym/pool so dont think you only pay the rent and thats it lol.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:38 PM

103 posts, read 161,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
As an agent im going to tell you you can find 2br in non luxury/doorman buildings with laundry in the building. Even some doorman bldgs that dont have a gym. Its a bit harder cause alot of things will be flex/convertibles in doorman bldgs also some you have to pay for using the gym/pool so dont think you only pay the rent and thats it lol.
Do you think 22 is too young to live in a building like that anyway? Are most of the renters in their late 20s/early 30s?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:31 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
Do you think 22 is too young to live in a building like that anyway? Are most of the renters in their late 20s/early 30s?
Depends. In rentals, it's usually 1beds made into 2 beds with young people. I live in a lux coop and it's definitely a lot of families.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:24 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,094 times
I've been living in luxury high rises in NYC all my life. You won't find what you are looking for at the moment. You missed those prices by about 10 years.

My advice is to shack up with somebody and share one bed.

A good "cell mate" is worth its' weight in gold in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City