Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 PM

22 posts, read 46,415 times

Advertisements

For a family with a kid, Dyker Heights vs Middle Village, which would you choose?
Work in downtown Manhattan, possibly could end up in midtown as well.
plan to turn the home into an investment property say 7-10 years from now.
With that in mind, where would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Dyker.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
MV has trains, Dyker doesn't (although the D/N/R are all relatively close). MV's M trains are also a shorter trek to Manhattan than the DNR trains are.

But I like Dyker, always have, and it's a good neighborhood for middle-upper income families. (Less-so-now than in the past, but I digress)

Old 10-26-2013, 07:24 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Middle village. It is much closer to Manhattan and the trendy parts of Brooklyn.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 AM

22 posts, read 46,415 times
I've taken both D train to Dyker and M train to MV. Travel time is manageable for both.
I've heard M train track always needs fix, last weekend, it was closed for maintenance.
As far as the neighborhood goes, which one is friendlier and has more potential?
Currently Dyker is more expensive than MV, so maybe there's value to find in MV.
MV being closer to trendy parts of brooklyn is something i haven't thought about. Good point.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_2013 View Post
I've taken both D train to Dyker and M train to MV. Travel time is manageable for both.
I've heard M train track always needs fix, last weekend, it was closed for maintenance.
As far as the neighborhood goes, which one is friendlier and has more potential?
Currently Dyker is more expensive than MV, so maybe there's value to find in MV.
MV being closer to trendy parts of brooklyn is something i haven't thought about. Good point.
The M train is going through an entire makeover. They have been renovating every stop. My guess is that they are doing this in preparation for the permanent roll out of it being a full-time Manhattan serviced train by the beginning of next year. Right now it only goes into Manhattan on weekdays. Personally, I find Middle Village to be a very unique neighborhood in the sense that it is the closest area to Manhattan that still retains a suburban feel. I don't know much about Dyker, it seems far away. Middle Village is much more centrally located when looking at the entire 5 boro geographical area.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:20 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_2013 View Post
Dyker has some very nice houses and is an extremely quiet, family-friendly neighborhood. People from Dyker usually go to Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge for night life. You almost never hear about any crime in Dyker. If I had kids, I'd consider moving there.

This time of the year is best for that neighborhood, as the Christmas displays in DH are legendary and actually attract tourists.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Dyker has some very nice houses and is an extremely quiet, family-friendly neighborhood. People from Dyker usually go to Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge for night life. You almost never hear about any crime in Dyker. If I had kids, I'd consider moving there.

This time of the year is best for that neighborhood, as the Christmas displays in DH are legendary and actually attract tourists.
The only time I ever went to DH was for that Christmas light show. Its was very nice to see (the gridlock sucks though). Definitely do not have houses that big in MV. The nice houses in MV would be brick tudors that are more modest.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 41,115 times
I grew up in MV and still have friends and fam there. I loved it, there are many schools to choose from (catholic & public) the area is very friendly and getting to the city is very quick and easy. Not to mention anything you could possibly need is within a 10 min drive with little hassle or gridlock

Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Dyker has 15th Ave with one stop shopping. Romeo brothers Butcher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City