U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 AM
 
8,747 posts, read 17,177,861 times
Reputation: 4168

Advertisements

I can do that..it's up to the moderators to decide whether it should be a sticky however.

FYI: Realtors will say anything to close a deal, because it is the only way to get paid. NEVER use a broker..they don't cae about you or the type of tenant they put into your property..they get paid and you never hear from them again and then it is your problem. I live in an area notorious for housing projects and crime (The "South Bronx"), and I have no problem getting young, educated, middle class tenants with high disposable incomes..usually roommates. Secondly, never accept locals...you are setting yourself up for epic failure...because they will bring all the garbage from the community into your home..when you are in these types of communities, you want to keep that crap outside, and best to target outsiders who will not be involved with, or have any interest in, the "local element."

I hope you make the right decisions, cuz once they are in, that is it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Gods country
6,907 posts, read 5,334,314 times
Reputation: 9109
You also might consider asking potential renters to supply names and phone numbers for previous landlords. The current landlords information should be taken with a grain of salt, as he will tell you anything to get them out if they are a problem. The landlord prior to the current one is who you want to talk to to get the real skinny on your prospects.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM
 
8,747 posts, read 17,177,861 times
Reputation: 4168
The problem with that strategy is that nobody is ever going to give you a reference that doesn't speak highly of them...it's useless. You can only go by the legal info (pay stubs, bank statements, credit reports) as well as your gut instincts, ask the right questions..how do they respond? How they speak to each other and you? How are they dressed? How do they walk? All of these involuntary cues are the key...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM
 
2,503 posts, read 3,949,622 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Sobroguy, hilltopjay Why don't both your guys create a sticky on the nyc for land lording in nyc? You both have a lot good information and experience for new land lorders. Many nyc property owners could benefit from your info.
I'm down if Sobro is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM
 
101 posts, read 199,474 times
Reputation: 142
I agree, your advice has been immensely helpful, my last question is, do you advise an amended boilerplate lease agreement (ie , something off nolo that I amend to my needs) for the month to month or should I use a lawyer ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Gods country
6,907 posts, read 5,334,314 times
Reputation: 9109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The problem with that strategy is that nobody is ever going to give you a reference that doesn't speak highly of them...it's useless. You can only go by the legal info (pay stubs, bank statements, credit reports) as well as your gut instincts, ask the right questions..how do they respond? How they speak to each other and you? How are they dressed? How do they walk? All of these involuntary cues are the key...
Yea how they walk is much more important than speaking to their prior landlord...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
 
12,344 posts, read 24,004,857 times
Reputation: 10302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Yea how they walk is much more important than speaking to their prior landlord...
Actually, you can really tell quite a bit about someone from their posture and their walk. Especially in NYC where there are some people who have this funny kind of limping swagger when they walk. This kind of limping swagger thing indicates to me that the person has a background I wouldn't want to be associated with.

There is also a walk that some urban people do (usually men) that is some kind of walking from side to side thing, as opposed to walking normally. It's hard for me to describe, but it's kind of like when they walk, their whole body including the shoulder will go to one side, and then to the other. This is opposed to someone walking normally who would have a more forward movement and less side-to-side.

This side to side walk also indicates to me that the person has grown up in a rough neighborhood.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I have observed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Gods country
6,907 posts, read 5,334,314 times
Reputation: 9109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Actually, you can really tell quite a bit about someone from their posture and their walk. Especially in NYC where there are some people who have this funny kind of limping swagger when they walk. This kind of limping swagger thing indicates to me that the person has a background I wouldn't want to be associated with.

There is also a walk that some urban people do (usually men) that is some kind of walking from side to side thing, as opposed to walking normally. It's hard for me to describe, but it's kind of like when they walk, their whole body including the shoulder will go to one side, and then to the other. This is opposed to someone walking normally who would have a more forward movement and less side-to-side.

This side to side walk also indicates to me that the person has grown up in a rough neighborhood.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I have observed.

Yea those funny, limping, swagger walkers cant be trusted. This is the guy that you want to rent to;


Ministry of Silly Walks - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
 
12,344 posts, read 24,004,857 times
Reputation: 10302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Yea those funny, limping, swagger walkers cant be trusted. This is the guy that you want to rent to;
I made a valid point. It's ok if you don't agree. I'm not really into British humor so I only watched a few seconds of the video before turning it off. I'm not sure how a British comedy with a laughtrack that shows a guy with a tall hat walking in an extremely ridiculous, exaggerated manner for the tv camera has anything to do with NYC, and in particular, a landlord screening NYC tenants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 PM
 
2,503 posts, read 3,949,622 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
I agree, your advice has been immensely helpful, my last question is, do you advise an amended boilerplate lease agreement (ie , something off nolo that I amend to my needs) for the month to month or should I use a lawyer ?
I got my attorney to draft mine up. Its almost 30 pages long! Very detailed. Has pictures of the apartment as well as a move-in inspection report which the tenant signs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top