Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 PM

169 posts, read 489,945 times

Advertisements

There are so many different types of living in NYC, too. I grew up in Astoria and now I'm in Howard Beach. I LOVED Astoria back in the day and I absolutely love Howard Beach. Astoria back in the day was so close knit. In the summer we hung out on the stoop bs'ing with the neighbors. Everyone knew everyone. Not sure how Astoria is, now.....I'm thinking it's very yuppy. Was blue collar back in the day.

howard Beach is very tight knit, too. EVERYONE...and I mean everyone knows eachother. I love that. You go around the corner for a cup of coffee and end up bumping into someone.

I know that can be said about AL of NYC, but the NYC that the OP is referring to is MANHATTAN. I'm thinking alot of us posting here are from the outer boroughs and we are totally different people than Manhattanites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post

When i use to work at the Sheraton hotel, plenty of people down south would book rooms just to experience the pleasure of staying out all night and walking the streets, and not having to go to a restaurant which involved using a car and driving in a highway to go there.
It amazes me when New Yorkers talk like there isn't a New York state. Most of New York is rural, and actually suburban NY (Westchester, LI) one has to drive everywhere as well. And of course, people from around the world come to NYC. Not that aren't aren't differences between NY and Florida, but if you're saying NY=NYC that's a very inaccurate portrayal of NY. Just like a small town in Mississippi does not equal the South. Houston, TX is the 4th largest city by population in the US. Atlanta, GA has public transportation, as do Charlotte, Miami, Houston, Dallas, etc. Not as extensive as New York's mind you, but enough to make urban living increasingly viable and attractive.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post
There are so many different types of living in NYC, too. I grew up in Astoria and now I'm in Howard Beach. I LOVED Astoria back in the day and I absolutely love Howard Beach. Astoria back in the day was so close knit. In the summer we hung out on the stoop bs'ing with the neighbors. Everyone knew everyone. Not sure how Astoria is, now.....I'm thinking it's very yuppy. Was blue collar back in the day.

howard Beach is very tight knit, too. EVERYONE...and I mean everyone knows eachother. I love that. You go around the corner for a cup of coffee and end up bumping into someone.

I know that can be said about AL of NYC, but the NYC that the OP is referring to is MANHATTAN. I'm thinking alot of us posting here are from the outer boroughs and we are totally different people than Manhattanites.
But certain posters are comparing one city in NY, NYC to the entire South (which is very vague) and therefore making massive conclusions and misrepresentations. My comments are not directed toward's the OP. But just from reading these posts, if someone says the South perhaps you should clarify where in the South. There's big differences between Houston, TX, Meridian Mississippi, and Miami, FL.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
This is very well said!

Thanks Jen!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:45 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It amazes me when New Yorkers talk like there isn't a New York state. Most of New York is rural, and actually suburban NY (Westchester, LI) one has to drive everywhere as well. And of course, people from around the world come to NYC. Not that aren't aren't differences between NY and Florida, but if you're saying NY=NYC that's a very inaccurate portrayal of NY. Just like a small town in Mississippi does not equal the South. Houston, TX is the 4th largest city by population in the US. Atlanta, GA has public transportation, as do Charlotte, Miami, Houston, Dallas, etc. Not as extensive as New York's mind you, but enough to make urban living increasingly viable and attractive.
We are talking about NYC. So I'm confused as to why you're explaining what up state and Long Island are like. I know clearly well what Long Island and upstate is about. Mind you, I would never live anywhere upstate past westchester neither would I live in Long Island because other then the hamptons, Long Island doesn't amuse me at all whatsoever. If it were up to just Long Island I would move to the south in hurry, PG county in particular in Maryland.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
U should it's amazing in San Diego
Yea San Diego and San Fran are the only two cities in Cali that I have a interest for. L.A hmmm not really, but even then I plan to visit.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What is down South?

You actually have a big section of the country, and clearly not all of those people want to move to NYC. Even for those that like urban areas, some move to wherever in Texas, Atlanta, GA, Charlotte, NC, or wherever in Florida.

Saying the South is like saying the North is all NYC/Boston/Philly when geographically most of the North is rural.

With that said, if you live in a suburban strip mall area AND you're able to get a professional career, yes, you could benefit from moving to NYC. If you're an average working class person, life in NYC would suck.
Georgia and Florida. Can't say Delaware or Maryland because those aren't southern states. Well maybe there is a conflict with Maryland/virginia.

Yea most of the young people I talk to who made these claims have big dreams, wether lawyer, or business or the tech field.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post

Yea a lot of people base their stereotypes off manhattan. Funny thing is I could never live in manhattan.

One stereotype that bothers me that is strictly manhattan is when people say NYC is 100 percent buildings. Queens, Staten Island would shock most people.

Brooklyn and the Bronx have a very good share of residential property as well.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
No I feel the opposite. I would feel lucky if I was born in a low COL state.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,795 times
I suppose I do.

I moved to Manhattan from Houston, Texas a few years and I love New York City and it feels like home. It's an amazing place but I'm so used to it now, so gone are the days of the wide-eyed recent transplant to NYC gawking at the awesomeness of the big city. I just live my life as a New Yorker now. But whenever I go back to Texas for holiday, that's all everyone wants to talk about.

I get so many comments like:

"Do you see celebrities?"
"Wow, you're so lucky...I love NYC"
"I bet you can't wait to go back up"
"This place must be so slow boring for you now"
"Why in the world would you come back here for the summer when you have an apartment in Manhattan?..you're crazy"

Last time I was there, I went to Saks and pulled out my NY drivers license and I was at the register for 10 minutes after paying because she couldn't stop talking about NYC and how much she loves it.

In any case, living in New York has really changed my life for the better. I am happier, spoiled by the supreme culture (art, food, etc), walkability and just feel more at home.

Last edited by Aventador LP 700-4; 03-08-2014 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City