Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTBRONX RYDER View Post
There are whites getting of on 167st-170st, that's unprecedented. If you see whites in a turnt-up hood like Morrisania, those are hall mark signs that the area's about to change .
Section 8 welfare whites are not a sign of change. Believe it or not, white does not equally wealthy. the whites that would move into that area have no more money than the people of color there.

Heroin addict whites in supportive housing are also not a sign of change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 11:02 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
That's not gentrification...

Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM

56 posts, read 148,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Section 8 welfare whites are not a sign of change. Believe it or not, white does not equally wealthy. the whites that would move into that area have no more money than the people of color there.

Heroin addict whites in supportive housing are also not a sign of change.
Nah you bugg'n , those are working class whites dude not broke down ghetto trash

Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Quote:
Nah you bugg'n , those are working class whites dude not broke down ghetto trash
That's what you think. I work with addicts and yes there are broke white people (addicts/homeless) etc moving to the Bronx. That's why this article is plain old stupid because just being white doesn't mean you have money or are a better quality of person than the people who are already there.

Plenty of homeless people and addicts move to NYC for the services because there is no methadone in states like MS and places like PA, KY, TN have a lot of restricitions and very little in the way of social safety net etc. So people flock to NYC for services and drug treatment.

The hipsters haven't decided that the Bronx is the next frontier. This isn't about anything more than basic economics.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
That's what you think. I work with addicts and yes there are broke white people (addicts/homeless) etc moving to the Bronx. That's why this article is plain old stupid because just being white doesn't mean you have money or are a better quality of person than the people who are already there.

Plenty of homeless people and addicts move to NYC for the services because there is no methadone in states like MS and places like PA, KY, TN have a lot of restricitions and very little in the way of social safety net etc. So people flock to NYC for services and drug treatment.
Exactly ... and then you have people fleeing failing economies in Europe. In Harlem, there is a growing population. Hard to know whether they are illegals or what.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM

56 posts, read 148,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post

Plenty of homeless people and addicts move to NYC for the services because there is no methadone in states like MS and places like PA, KY, TN have a lot of restrictions and very little in the way of social safety net etc. So people flock to NYC for services and drug treatment.

The hipsters haven't decided that the Bronx is the next frontier. This isn't about anything more than basic economics.

Dude , you DON'T LIVE IN THAT HOOD ! there are NO WHITE METH / DOPE fiends between Jerome ave to the concourse, from 165th street to 170th street, on this side of the bronx. The clinic on 50-98 east 168th street , is flooded with blacks & latinos. Try again .
I'm Latino dude and I be out there a lot .

Old 12-09-2013, 08:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Dude , you DON'T LIVE IN THAT HOOD ! there are NO WHITE METH / DOPE fiends between Jerome ave to the concourse, from 165th street to 170th street, on this side of the bronx. The clinic on 50-98 east 168th street , is flooded with blacks & latinos. Try again .
If you're talking about lower grand concourse that's where they have the courthouses and government agencies, along with law firms. The vast majority of the white judges, lawyers, paralegals, court officers, civil service people, etc live ELSEWHERE.

So yes, the whites moving to the Bronx are mainly POOR whites. That's not gentrification and not hipsterization when they are paying for their rent with programs like Section 8.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:38 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
LMAO!!!!

The S. Bronx around Alexander Ave. is known as the methadone triangle. The majority of clinics are concentrated in that area and right over the the Third Ave Bridge there are a whole lot more in E. Harlem. DUDE!!! You're the one who knows not of what you speak! You think those people don't have metro cards and go to the clinic directly adjacent to their apt? Please, there is a opiate epidemic in the Jersey burbs and points N. of NYC. It just made the paper that all first responders in Ocean County NJ have to carry narcan because there have been over 100 opiate related deaths in 2013 and that's one county in NJ. I bet you didn't know that but that's what happens when white people are drug addicts it's an illness and everything is hush hush.

Police in Ocean County to start carrying heroin antidote | NJ.com

Lol oh and yeah those clean cut folks that WORK around the courthouse certainly do not live there. I guarentee that as soon as that court closes 99.5% of them are running out of the area like their butts are on fire.

Quote:

Last edited by Jasper03; 12-09-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
There's plenty of white addicts turning tricks in Hunts Point.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Let's keep in mind that Manhattan and Brooklyn have "for sale" signs posted around the globe. The Bronx? The elected officials are busy making sure the population stays (as-is, poor, and ignorant) so that they stay in power and can continue raping the borough for political gain. Almost every new development, while aesthetically/architecturally attractive, is restricted to those who already live in the community board!

So you are basically just recycling the same people, and the apts they do give up are those in the worst condition which then become occupied by the newly destitute (central, south americans, dominicans etc) on a variety of welfare programs. The very very few market rate apts and lofts are those you typically see the newbies coming in...but so what?

Until our elected officials allows others to enter the community..nothing will change. Which is why when you cross the Willis Ave bridge you go back in time to 1990....it will stay that way for the foreseeable future. Almost all of the housing stock is subsidized, controlled, and restricted..to the detriment of the community, borough, and the city.
Yes!
When I returned home a few months ago, what greeted me from the Triboro? dilapidated buildings, a peeling billboard, industrial buildings. Just overall depressing. The same way it looked back in the day. Nothing changed. I plainly put that on the backs of the Bronx leadership. Meanwhile, these politicians live in the northern, eastern, and western parts of the borough. What the Bronx needs are people with vision -- forget about the hipster war here. There is no reason why the southern bronx waterfront can't be developed. It is prime land right near Manhattan. The NYCHA developments can be worked around -- look at all of the other areas. They have their share of NYCHA as well yet they're doing better. Come on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City