Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:19 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,459,612 times

Advertisements

White presence doesn't equal wealth, but I don't buy into the assertion that most of the Whites moving to the Bronx are marginal or poor. Not true at all. New York City is becoming less affordable for the middle classed person by the hour and if you have a family, you'd better believe that the Bronx is one of the last places where you can live in a decent area and not chop off several body parts to survive. Just look at some of the threads here on C-D -- there are many middle classed, regular Joe whites who are interested in the Bronx. I'm all for any working people moving into the Bronx, regardless of color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:23 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,040,866 times
I agree with you. There are working and middle class people who need affordable housing with short commutes moving into the Bronx to. The Bronx is neither all bad or all good. A person with a decent income can find a good place to live if they are willing to make some compromises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
White presence doesn't equal wealth, but I don't buy into the assertion that most of the Whites moving to the Bronx are marginal or poor. Not true at all. New York City is becoming less affordable for the middle classed person by the hour and if you have a family, you'd better believe that the Bronx is one of the last places where you can live in a decent area and not chop off several body parts to survive. Just look at some of the threads here on C-D -- there are many middle classed, regular Joe whites who are interested in the Bronx. I'm all for any working people moving into the Bronx, regardless of color.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I agree with you. There are working and middle class people who need affordable housing with short commutes moving into the Bronx to. The Bronx is neither all bad or all good. A person with a decent income can find a good place to live if they are willing to make some compromises.
Yeah. There are many people who do not want to live in Westchester/suburbs, so the Bronx is another option. I think the Bronx, especially for families, offers a great value. On the real estate side, Bronx is a good place to purchase if you choose the 'hood wisely and is within the reach of many people. If only the Bronx politicians would pull their heads out of their collective asses..

Old 12-09-2013, 01:10 PM

31,856 posts, read 26,891,500 times
Interesting: Analysis: NYC 2000 to 2010 demographic change

Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,686,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Bugsy, I have seen that chart. Some good info in that. The white population is declining in the BX and IMO will continue to do so.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Bugsy, I have seen that chart. Some good info in that. The white population is declining in the BX and IMO will continue to do so.
I don't think it will decline any further...the flight has already happened. Others move in. Such is life. Personally, I can't really care. As long as the people moving in are working, respect where they live, and have their acts together, it's fine by me.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,686,408 times
Quote:
I don't think it will decline any further...the flight has already happened. Others move in. Such is life. Personally, I can't really care. As long as the people moving in are working, respect where they live, and have their acts together, it's fine by me.
Everyone want working people of any color. But IMO areas that were white areas like Morris Park, Pelham Pkwy and what's left of the Da Neck will be overwhelmingly Latino. Will Woodlawn stay Irish? I never say never.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,942,745 times
Quote:
I do know whites who moved to Riverdale, Pelham, Woodlawn, etc who had decent jobs. But that's still a minority of people.

But if you're talking about the roughest areas, so far you've quite a few whites moving in on Section 8. Those areas have quite aways to go before they get a more affluent demographic moving in large numbers.

It doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, but that it hasn't happened yet.

Look at what you just said. New York is becoming less AFFORDABLE for the middle class person by the hour.

Meaning these white people moving to the Bronx, are poor and could not afford the rest of the city. They may have jobs, but the Bronx has a lot of working class Blacks and Hispanics.

Its still not gentrification if the whites are just as poor as the Blacks and Hispanics who live in the area.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,393,430 times
gentrification is a cheap land grab by big investors.
then all they do is overcharge rich people for housing,
since no one else can afford it.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:55 PM

31,856 posts, read 26,891,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
gentrification is a cheap land grab by big investors.
then all they do is overcharge rich people for housing,
since no one else can afford it.
Maybe, but then again maybe not.

When you look at Brooklyn, Harlem, Village etc.. and so forth these were once mostly if not wholly solid white middle class and above areas. Whites fled for various reasons and minorities took over, now the process is reversing.

Harlem was not developed for minorities, neither was Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City