Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 61,922 times

Advertisements

I just received an interview letter for this building. I guess I'm opening this thread so people can share their experience/thoughts regarding this building, or any other housing lottery related topics.

The location of this building is really nice. It's in downtown Flushing and readily accessible to many things: transportation, shopping, dinning, schools, etc. I am married and have two new borns and I really hope I can move into this building with my family.

But as you know, receiving an interview letter means nothing. That only means you now have 5% chance of winning an affortable apartment instead of close to 0% when you initially applied. It is 5% because for every one available apartment, they randomly select 20 applicants out of the pool. So in the interview, they will try to disqualify you for any reasons they can find. For example, I heard people were disqualify for over or under the income requirement for as little as $89.00. I have a friend who went to three interviews for three different buildings applied, but disqualified for under/over income guide lines. It is that strict. I read a journal from a person who actually passed the interview and the credit/background check, AND was even asked to come on-site to pick a apt, but still received a letter a month later says "sorry, the apts are all rented out". So untill you put your signature on that lease paper, don't set your hopes too high. That's why every time they contact you they mention the line, "this does not guarantees an apartment," for obvious legal purpose.

Anyways, that's all for now and I will try to keep you updated of my interview. And if you want to share any advices/personal story/informatoin it would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 12:55 PM

226 posts, read 1,098,001 times
What was your log #?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 61,922 times
I don't have the letter on my hand now but is that log number special?

Can you elaborate?

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM

226 posts, read 1,098,001 times
U can check housing connect and it will tell you. Orits at the top of ur paper.its badically a number they give u which tells u when they opened ur application and where you are for getting a interview letter.the lower the log number the better ur chanced are of getting a interview letter

Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 AM

11 posts, read 43,348 times
Need to know what happens after housing lottery is sent to the city for approval, does anyone know what the city is looking for? Feeling anxious have never gotten this far. Thanks in advance all.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 26,064 times
does any one get a acceptance or rejection notice from the developer?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 18,524 times
there were four people walking into the office. One people had a complication on the application, two were told that they wlll contact the current company to verify the empolyment status, the last one had a very long interview. Does it mean that the person had a long interview will have a better chance to get an apartment? Do they really contact the compay to verify the employment status?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 26,302 times
Hey all! I had my interview yesterday(4/22/14) for this development. It was really quick and to the point. They really don't give you much information. I asked when the building would be done and the woman said in about another month (May 2014). She also said she had no idea when they would start moving people in. The process was very short for the interview. She basically asked for all documents and had me sign a couple forms. That's pretty much it! I'm hoping all turns out well for my family and I. Best of luck to all who have applied!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:47 AM

21 posts, read 78,597 times
Does anyone know the current status of this building? Last I heard it was suppose to be ready in late July early August 2014.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 AM

21 posts, read 78,597 times
Default Any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy3shot View Post
I just received an interview letter for this building. I guess I'm opening this thread so people can share their experience/thoughts regarding this building, or any other housing lottery related topics.

The location of this building is really nice. It's in downtown Flushing and readily accessible to many things: transportation, shopping, dinning, schools, etc. I am married and have two new borns and I really hope I can move into this building with my family.

But as you know, receiving an interview letter means nothing. That only means you now have 5% chance of winning an affortable apartment instead of close to 0% when you initially applied. It is 5% because for every one available apartment, they randomly select 20 applicants out of the pool. So in the interview, they will try to disqualify you for any reasons they can find. For example, I heard people were disqualify for over or under the income requirement for as little as $89.00. I have a friend who went to three interviews for three different buildings applied, but disqualified for under/over income guide lines. It is that strict. I read a journal from a person who actually passed the interview and the credit/background check, AND was even asked to come on-site to pick a apt, but still received a letter a month later says "sorry, the apts are all rented out". So untill you put your signature on that lease paper, don't set your hopes too high. That's why every time they contact you they mention the line, "this does not guarantees an apartment," for obvious legal purpose.

Anyways, that's all for now and I will try to keep you updated of my interview. And if you want to share any advices/personal story/informatoin it would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck ~
Hi, I was wondering if you have any updates regarding the status of this building & thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery