Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:35 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
No, actually I don't. It may not be the overall average, but you can definitely find basement studios in Forest Hills for around $800. All you have to do is go on Craigslist. If someone is employed, responsible and drug-free with a decent credit score they should be able to find something at that rate or very close to it. You're talking about a $100 increase, not a $1,000 increase. My numbers are dead-on for an individual with their sh*t together and a good eye.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. At least I have second-hand knowledge (knowing someone who actually did this exact in-person search a year ago) and an ear to the ground. All you have is a craigslist search. That's a laugh, especially because I just did this search and there are ZERO studios under $800 listed in Forest Hills on craigslist right now. Check it out. This is what comes up: 6 listings in Chinese that say Forest Hills/Kew Gardens, which obviously means they are not in Forest Hills and it's probably the same place listed 6 times http://newyork.craigslist.org/search...&housing_type= And they most likely aren't even apartments. I can't read the Chinese but the listings are for $690. I suspect it's a room for rent.

And also, I'm talking MORE than a $100 increase. The person I know who did the search was finding $900 basement studios in Oakland Gardens, Queens, which many non-native New Yorkers have never even heard of. It's a decent neighborhood but it's not Forest Hills, and doesn't have the transit options of Forest Hills (doesn't even have a subway stop). Also, this was a year ago and rents continue to climb.

Last edited by Henna; 12-07-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
rental studio small shopping area

This just showed up yesterday. OMG, $900 is SO much more lol. My point is that studios show up all of the time on there, and go quickly. So if you do a search there's likely to be few results, because they move quickly. But they show up all the time. And if you're that person who is serious and focused, you can grab those few. It may not seem normal to have to check 50-100 times per day but I would do it if it meant cheap rent. It's smart. You can take those extra savings and put them towards retirement or a house. Even a couple hundred bucks in the bank each month adds up real quick. That becomes even more important if you are new to the city because until you are established savings are crucial. I stand behind my advice, even though it isn't easy or simple. It can be done. Better to hold out and be in a nice area, than be impulsive and end up with an insane commute time or in a high crime neighborhood IMO. Commuting costs time and time equals money. Something for the OP to consider.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 12-07-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 06:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
rental studio small shopping area

This just showed up yesterday. OMG, $900 is SO much more lol. My point is that studios show up all of the time on there, and go quickly. So if you do a search there's likely to be few results, because they move quickly. But they show up all the time. And if you're that person who is serious and focused, you can grab those few. It may not seem normal to have to check 50-100 times per day but I would do it if it meant cheap rent. It's smart. You can take those extra savings and put them towards retirement or a house. Even a couple hundred bucks in the bank each month adds up real quick. That becomes even more important if you are new to the city because until you are established savings are crucial. I stand behind my advice, even though it isn't easy or simple. It can be done. Better to hold out and be in a nice area, than be impulsive and end up with an insane commute time or in a high crime neighborhood IMO.
You don't know the market in Forest Hills. Please just admit that. Perhaps that would be asking too much.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady29 View Post
I am a teacher in Florida. I have a Master's degree in educational leadership.
Why would you want to leave your FL job, for one in NYC? Do you have tenure? Have you ever lived up here? Will you be offered a contract? Or, is the position that you are applying for at-will?
Are you comfortable living on your salary in FL? You will probably need to make close to 50% more, to net the same take-home pay. What are your FL expenses? The cost of living will probably be higher here. Rent and travel, in particular.
Does your current job have a salary scale? Established annual pay increases?
Will the prospective new job? You don't even know the base pay!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times
Ok, I have two things to say here.

1- NY is a state in which you have to have a master's degree to teach in a public school. The job market is FLOODED with teachers who have master's degrees here right now. So much so that many of my friends did their masters degrees and ended up moving south to find any sort of a job in education. So if this job isn't requiring a masters, you can almost guarantee that the 'competitive salary' is low.

2- As everyone is saying you didn't provide the details needed to give you a hard number. However, based on the fact that you have a masters, I assume that you're at least 3 years post college.. so a minimum age would be around 25. In order to live like a 25+ year old (aka eating real food, not living in a weird basement apartment, etc) you should be making 50k to be comfortable. That will be tight- you will need to find roommates, will have to limit your entertainment spending, etc. But it's doable. I've lived here on as little as 33k a year before. Now THAT was brutal.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:52 AM

646 posts, read 926,630 times
u not gon have a good life here on a teacher's salary

Old 12-08-2013, 06:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
Ok, I have two things to say here.

1- NY is a state in which you have to have a master's degree to teach in a public school. The job market is FLOODED with teachers who have master's degrees here right now. So much so that many of my friends did their masters degrees and ended up moving south to find any sort of a job in education. So if this job isn't requiring a masters, you can almost guarantee that the 'competitive salary' is low.

2- As everyone is saying you didn't provide the details needed to give you a hard number. However, based on the fact that you have a masters, I assume that you're at least 3 years post college.. so a minimum age would be around 25. In order to live like a 25+ year old (aka eating real food, not living in a weird basement apartment, etc) you should be making 50k to be comfortable. That will be tight- you will need to find roommates, will have to limit your entertainment spending, etc. But it's doable. I've lived here on as little as 33k a year before. Now THAT was brutal.

These are very helpful points. Thank you for your insight!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:30 AM

5 posts, read 7,334 times
Thank you everyone for your replies and perspectives! They were very helpful and much appreciated!

Old 12-11-2013, 04:32 PM

298 posts, read 707,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netryan View Post
Need about $70k for a cheap Manhattan studio (i.e. a $1500 studio). I'd say about $40-50k to do the roommate situation. The income taxes here may surprise you since there's both a city and state income tax (unlike Florida, which is where I moved from also).
2100-2350 is a cheap Manhattan studio if you adjust for the broker. You need a ton of cash or a large salary.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM

29 posts, read 38,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
2100-2350 is a cheap Manhattan studio if you adjust for the broker. You need a ton of cash or a large salary.
I'm currently at 106th and Broadway and pay $1400. Right now units in my building are renting for $1550. Also, there's cheap studios for around the same price in the UES closer to 1st street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: