Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM

46 posts, read 58,685 times

Advertisements

I've been stuck in Georgia in a rural town I hate since I was 11 years old when my dad moved us here because of a job. Periodically, I daydream about going on a trip to NYC, which I haven't visited since I was around 9 years old. Maybe I'm just being lame and idealizing an area that isn't that special and only seemed magical as a kid because I was a kid, but every time I see pictures of someone I know in the city or just see pictures of the city online in general, I think, "Oooh. I want to be THERE." I've toyed with the idea of eventually moving to or near the city too, as I mentioned in a thread I started yesterday, but even if that winds up happening, it won't be for many years. I have always told myself that as soon as I met a guy or a friend interested in spending the cash to take the trip up there, I'd go on my dream trip, but the guy or the friend never seem to happen. If all goes well with my current education path, I'll be in med school in about 2 years, and then I imagine I won't have a whole ton of time to travel. Would it be a really stupid idea to begin planning a trip to go alone? Is it just not a ton of fun to visit the city alone, or would it be particularly dangerous (I'm a 24 year old female)? I also worry about not having a clue where I'm going and getting myself terribly lost; the last time I was there, I just followed my parents wherever they took us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,291,072 times
Do it. Don't worry about getting lost in Manhattan, Avenues go north to south, streets go east to west. Battery Park at the bottom, Harlem up top. People travel to NYC all the time by their self, the city has a lot of magic, It is understandable why NYC allures you. Life takes nerve.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,036,799 times
I have heard it's easy to meet other travelers if you stay in a hostel as opposed to a hotel. Maybe you can meet other young travelers while you are here and do things with them. Certainly people come here alone all the time. It sort of depends on if you think you could have a good time alone, or if you'd just feel stressed and lonely the whole time.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:11 PM

43,344 posts, read 44,052,401 times
As already said there is no problem in visiting NYC by oneself.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the input, all. Glad to hear someone else say the city has a lot of magic, so hopefully it's not the case that I'm just idealizing a place that isn't that great. I sort of feel like I'm just trying to escape the feeling of suffocating that I often feel living in a place that just doesn't mesh with me, and I misguidedly think that being in the NYC atmosphere will bring me this great sense of happiness. I worry that once I get there, I'll never experience that feeling of being more alive than I've been in years. I don't know if that even made sense. :P

Anyway, good point about feeling lonely there. I think there's a good chance that'd happen to me since I don't really want to go alone, as in, it wouldn't be my first choice if I had someone to go with me. I don't know a lot about hostels. I'll look into that!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,036,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitivelydissonant View Post
Thanks for the input, all. Glad to hear someone else say the city has a lot of magic, so hopefully it's not the case that I'm just idealizing a place that isn't that great. I sort of feel like I'm just trying to escape the feeling of suffocating that I often feel living in a place that just doesn't mesh with me, and I misguidedly think that being in the NYC atmosphere will bring me this great sense of happiness. I worry that once I get there, I'll never experience that feeling of being more alive than I've been in years. I don't know if that even made sense. :P

Anyway, good point about feeling lonely there. I think there's a good chance that'd happen to me since I don't really want to go alone, as in, it wouldn't be my first choice if I had someone to go with me. I don't know a lot about hostels. I'll look into that!
I don't really know either. I've never been the hostel or travel-rough type, even when I was 24. But I think you should look into it, just for the benefit of being able to meet other people travelling alone.

At least look into the yelp reviews. Hostels New York, NY

Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,192,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitivelydissonant View Post
I've been stuck in Georgia in a rural town I hate since I was 11 years old when my dad moved us here because of a job. Periodically, I daydream about going on a trip to NYC, which I haven't visited since I was around 9 years old. Maybe I'm just being lame and idealizing an area that isn't that special and only seemed magical as a kid because I was a kid, but every time I see pictures of someone I know in the city or just see pictures of the city online in general, I think, "Oooh. I want to be THERE." I've toyed with the idea of eventually moving to or near the city too, as I mentioned in a thread I started yesterday, but even if that winds up happening, it won't be for many years. I have always told myself that as soon as I met a guy or a friend interested in spending the cash to take the trip up there, I'd go on my dream trip, but the guy or the friend never seem to happen. If all goes well with my current education path, I'll be in med school in about 2 years, and then I imagine I won't have a whole ton of time to travel. Would it be a really stupid idea to begin planning a trip to go alone? Is it just not a ton of fun to visit the city alone, or would it be particularly dangerous (I'm a 24 year old female)? I also worry about not having a clue where I'm going and getting myself terribly lost; the last time I was there, I just followed my parents wherever they took us.
OP your a 24 year old woman. You aren't stuck in Georgia anymore. As a kid yes. But you been an adult for 6 years, if you are unhappy do what you must do to leave and find some place else to live that you will enjoy.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't really know either. I've never been the hostel or travel-rough type, even when I was 24. But I think you should look into it, just for the benefit of being able to meet other people travelling alone.

At least look into the yelp reviews. Hostels New York, NY
Thank you. I'll read over those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
OP your a 24 year old woman. You aren't stuck in Georgia anymore. As a kid yes. But you been an adult for 6 years, if you are unhappy do what you must do to leave and find some place else to live that you will enjoy.
There are a lot of reasons I've been stuck here as an adult, ranging from health issues to financial reasons. There's no way I could afford out-of-state tuition costs, so right now, my options are either drop out of school or stay here. I'll admit that fear of the unknown keeps me here too; I've never picked up and made a big move by myself before, and I've yet to figure out how to make such a move work with such little money or life and work experience. I apologize if my apprehensions are offensive to you; I don't like them either.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:15 PM

11,192 posts, read 9,017,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
this advise is easier said than done. you can't just pack up and leave. how is she going to find a job, a place to live, money for food, expenses, etc. a lot of planning and saving has to be done before a person can make such a move. what if OP moves to NYC and hates it? move back and spend more $ she doesn't have.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Yeah, even if I gave up my future career goals and dropped out of school, I couldn't make it in New York unless a fantastic job opportunity fell into my lap, which it wouldn't if my experience searching for jobs there turned out to be anything like my experience has been here. I'll have made about $26,000 by the end of this year. That gets me by here, but from what I hear, I'd be out in the streets with that salary in NYC. I have $6,000 in the bank, which already has me extremely nervous about the small move to a nearby town I'm making next month (I obviously couldn't take my trip to NYC now if I decide to go; I'd have to start setting aside money). If it were that simple, I'd love to head over that way, though. I hear you guys have better doctors. All of my doctors suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City