Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 12,684 times

Advertisements

I have lived in this apartment for 33 years and haven't worked in a number of years due to being a Caregiver.My uncle recently died and I have limited savings,which are about to run out in two months.i am afraid of becoming homeless,but i have tried unsuccessfully to find a job.My landlord has not acknowledged me as a Tenant yet.I an't get help from eviction prevention programs,because not only is the lease not in my name,but i was told they only help people with some sort of income.I need advice.Unfortunately,none of my friends can take me in,should i become homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
are you waiting for someone to say yes?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
You can't take care of someone if its going to be to your own expense. If taking care of your uncle was that much work, you should have had him put in a nursing home. Now due to no income, you'll be evicted (the landlord will celebrate, its a rent controlled apartment).

Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
contact your immediate family. have you submitted your resume at retirement homes, hospices, etc?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 AM

to many folks commit their own financial suicide because they fail to look at the ramifications of their own doings.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
If you have been living in the apartment, especially with a relative, you will likely have succession rights.

However ... the fact that you have not done the needed research yourself, and are instead asking on a board, suggests that you will have a challenging time. You can call Met Council on Housing but people simply do not have the time to do the things for you. You would need to become proactive.

Or - there is more to the story. There are jobs. You cannot find ANY job, anywhere in the city ?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You can't take care of someone if its going to be to your own expense. If taking care of your uncle was that much work, you should have had him put in a nursing home. Now due to no income, you'll be evicted (the landlord will celebrate, its a rent controlled apartment).
that's for sure, the LL will get you out as fast as you can blink an eye.

better have a plan "B".

you should have had this thought out before your uncle died. for real.

and you should have had some of the utilities in your name. You have no legal proof that you have been living there for 33 years. If you would have had the gas and electric, that would have been more of a help.

also, your saving will only last 2 months?, wasn't much of a saving then, was it.

but now to be technical, it isn't your apartment, never was, you state you lived there as a caregiver. well, you cared for hi, he died, so unfortunetely you will have to move on.

You really should have pit a little more thought into this.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM

harlem resident he is saying he has no money to pay the rent . even so succession rights do not extend down from uncles. it can extend down in special situations from others not immeadite family but it is very situation specific. the fact the op has no money to pay the rent anyway makes it a different issue.

these are the guidelines

http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resou...uccession.html

Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
harlem resident he is saying he has no money to pay the rent . even so succession rights do not extend down from uncles. it can extend down in special situations from others not immeadite family but it is very situation specific.
If she was taking care of her uncle more or less full time, and her uncle is in fact the tenant of record (which we don't know from her original post), then she almost certainly does have succession rights. It's very much a special situation.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
harlem resident he is saying he has no money to pay the rent . even so succession rights do not extend down from uncles.
I knew several people, not personally but on the level of acquaintances, who had scant indeed relationships with the primary tenants in question, and they were all awarded the apartments. Residence for a period of time seems to be the most important factor. Hard to know whether this has changed recently and if so, how much.

Regarding income ... the OP should find a position anywhere. Whole Foods. Duane Reade. Because it is true that lacking an income makes the rent assistance thing near impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City