Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 PM

32 posts, read 36,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
I believe the OP said she was "mature" not "old"--- but spoken like a true "kid" Definition --- anyone under 35
Not sure I understand this post.I don't consider 41 old.I am definitely mature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtoohard View Post
I had to make a resume last week and included it,I will take it off.I am familiar with customer service,standing for long hours This is a public forum and I try not to give too much info that is not necessary. I am 41,but haven't met anyone that didn't think I was younger. I personally believe my biggest hurdle is race not age. Also my resume shows my last jobs as lawyer and most recent was
Rn.
Your biggest hurdle in NYC will be competition, not race. There are hordes of people who come to NYC seeking restaurant jobs for whatever reason. And if you get hired, expect your restaurant employer to work you to the bone because there are a lot of other people lining up to replace you.

Anyway the posters here gave different suggestions about jobs that pay by the hour. But soon after you get in whatever endeavor, you may want to start thinking about your next career move.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the responses.a lot of good advice here.I hope I can still get some suggestions about areas like Harlem street.Many thanks.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtoohard View Post
Yes I am a lawyer.I have a foreign law degree.l worked at McDonald's in 2002 when I first traveled abroad.I am also a registered nurse.
That's not the focus of this thread though and I don't want to go off track.Thanks for sharing your personal experience.

Why does this comment sound like you're attempting an "experiment"? Someone with those professions under her belt coming to NY to be a waitress seems very odd to me, especially someone who needs to get on their feet again.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Why does this comment sound like you're attempting an "experiment"? Someone with those professions under her belt coming to NY to be a waitress seems very odd to me, especially someone who needs to get on their feet again.
Unfortunately I don't think it is a requirement for me to disclose every detail of my personal life to get suggestions.It is not an experiment for the record.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:50 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
bellakin's point may be that none of the supporting information that you posted would prove that race will be a major reason for you not to get a restaurant job in NYC. Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. NYC is full of waiters and servers of all races and ethnicities.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:08 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
And I think you really misread my post.... I was saying that to young people "mature" means old and to me 41 is young. Think it is hard now wait till you get into your 60's then no matter what you do you are going to have trouble finding a job. At your age it will depend primarily on the type of place you apply to. Make a list and some afternoon just wander around to some of them asking to see a menu but as you do observe the type of servers they have... if you see no one that looks like you the chances are you will not be considered

Old 12-10-2013, 12:26 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
bellakin's point may be that none of the supporting information that you posted would prove that race will be a major reason for you not to get a restaurant job in NYC. Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. NYC is full of waiters and servers of all races and ethnicities.
This is exactly what I meant FHD. My husband and I dine out often ranging from pubs, diners to fine restaurants and we've dined in every borough. I've never gone to a restaurant that didn't have various ethnicities

Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks for your comments. I think I was just responding to the fact that he/she said this sounds like an experiment. I have never been to NYC and one of the first replies I got talked about "an old black woman), so I guess that's where that came from.

Thankfully, a few of you have debunked that so I am no longer focusing on that. I know I have transferable skills from my previous careers, I guess I just need to "sell" myself to the hiring guys.

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post

Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. Ageism is alive and thriving. When I went to nursing school, there were a couple of ladies in their 60's, one was a retired teacher. We had men and women in their late forties and fifties and it seem normal.

I know some hiring managers prefer younger nurses but it seem the older nurses didn't fare too badly. In fact since the recession, most hospitals are opting to hire retired, older and experienced nurses instead of new grads.

Yeah, good Idea about the list. That's my plan, I just needed some guidance on where to look since it is a big city.

Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
And I think you really misread my post.... I was saying that to young people "mature" means old and to me 41 is young. Think it is hard now wait till you get into your 60's then no matter what you do you are going to have trouble finding a job. At your age it will depend primarily on the type of place you apply to. Make a list and some afternoon just wander around to some of them asking to see a menu but as you do observe the type of servers they have... if you see no one that looks like you the chances are you will not be considered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City