Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,124 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First time posting here. We (couple late 20s) currently live in Jersey City. My wife works on 168th st and I work in midtown. We are planning to move to either Fort Lee or the Hudson Heights (Washington Heights) part of Manhattan.

Fort Lee (Target rent about 2200/mon) :
We went to the new apartment building (Twenty 50) in Fort Lee recently and liked the building. We have to use the bus to get to the city (GWB bus terminal). A point of concern was the short 6 min walk from the Fort Lee bus stop to the building. Most of the way is empty/construction lots and I am concerned if it is safe to walk there at night ( getting back from work at night). Does anyone know how safe is it walk around this area (close to the GWB entrance) specifically after 6pm?

We do not have a car currently but plan to get one in about 6 months. Is it possible to live in Fort Lee (specifically within 5min distance to the GWB busstop) without a car?

Hudson Heights (target rent about 1900-2000/month to account for the NYC income tax):
We are yet to look at any apartments in Hudson Heights but we liked the neighborhood when we were there on a sunny Saturday Morning (west of bennet ave, north of 181st st). Any idea how the apartments are in this area ( cleanliness/mice/roaches, thermal and noise insulation, etc.)?
And how safe is it inside/outside the apartment buildings?

Any information will help us in making a decision. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Hudson Heights is a good and quiet neighborhood. Most of the buildings there are sturdy, older constructions. If you stick west of boradway, and even more so west of Fort Washington, then it's very calm and solidly middle class.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Fort Lee is about as safe as it gets. Predominantly Asian community. Upper class. 2050 building is very nice area. You will have zero issues with security and not have to deal with city taxes. I drive through that same area every day. Inbox me if you need more info.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
One difference is that most of the constrcution will be newer in Ft. Lee, with more building amenities, but not the solidity, relative charm, and quiet of the older Art Deco buildings in Hudson Heights. Upkeep eveywhere will be on a building-by-building basis, but overall, I have heard of few, if any, complaints about "bad" buildings in either place.

If you get a car, parking will be hellish in Washington Heights. For your sanity, you'd probably want to spring for a garage. On the other hand with all basic shopping necessitites, subway(A and 1 lines), and bus (M4) within walking distance, you wouldn't need the car on a day-to-day basis. In Ft. Lee there are cheap shuttle buses that run to the GWB bus terminal 24/7 IIRC, in addition to NJ Transit options that go either to Port Authority downtown or the GWB bus station. If you work regular hours, these should be fine, though there are closings on the GW some nights, and congestion sometime from traffic back ups, accidents, weather, etc.

Physical safety should not be a major concern in either neighborhood. Both neighborhoods are middle-class to upper middle class but the ethnicity is different in each. There are a larger number of Asians (usually Korean) in Ft. Lee and a larger number of Hisapncis (usualy Dominicamns) and Jews in Washington Heights. But there are at least a handful of all races.

Last edited by citylove101; 12-09-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM

Thank you all for the quick and useful replies. I got almost all the information I am looking for. Is it fine to manage without a car for about 6 months in Fort Lee then (we normally get groceries delivered)?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxrules View Post
Thank you all for the quick and useful replies. I got almost all the information I am looking for. Is it fine to manage without a car for about 6 months in Fort Lee then (we normally get groceries delivered)?
I am sure you will be fine. There is an A&P grocery within walking distance of 2050 building. Also plenty of small restaurants in walking distance. If needed you can always catch a taxi. You are also very close to Edgewater NJ (5 minute car ride) which has tons dining/entertainment options.

Enjoy. Ft. Lee is really nice!

Old 12-10-2013, 01:14 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Fort Lee is more akin to Riverdale than Washibgton Heights. Fort Lee has more at the higher end than The Heights, though there are decent areas west of Broadway. The main issue in WH can be local shops and services, where Fort Lee has better access to quality shops and conveniences in close proximity.

Between the two, I would look more toward Fort Lee, but if you want to be in the city, I'd continue up the Hudson to Riverdale.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM

20 posts, read 30,557 times
The difference between the two in my opinion really depends on if want a city feeling or not. Hudson Heights has a lot of people walking around on the streets and a sense of community which I have never felt walking around Ft. Lee. You should keep in mind the ability to walk to 168th for work and on a good day the A train will get you to 42nd street in about 20 minutes from 181. The bus across the bridge will cost you at least 1.50 each way and don't forget buses are only allowed on upper level which can be hellish in rush hour with the truck traffic...even on a good day it will easily take 15 to 20 minutes from the time you step on the bus to time you might get on a train which involves a short walk within the bus station. If you are concerned about commute time, make sure to try it out first before you commit.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM

Thank you all very much. We will make a decision soon. WaHi, You precisely described my next concern. We went to both places on a weekend and agree with you depiction of community feeling. We will try and go there on a week day during rush hour to get a realistic estimate of the commute time.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times
Hudson Hts buildings can have mice or roaches, it all depends. And noise -- though the neighborhood is quiet, esp at night, you might be hearing more of your neighbors than you wish to due to old wood interior construction. You might have better luck in these regards in a newer FL apt tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City