Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 PM

12 posts, read 20,226 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in or have any information about the Presidential Apartments in Bronxdale / Pelham Parkway?

I am hoping to move in a few months to that neighborhood, and I am specifically interested in that complex. But I would like to know if anyone has any experience there?

I am particularly interested in whether there have been crimes in the buildings or on the grounds. I was told they don't allow security gates in the fire escape windows - ?

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:15 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I live in the area and walk by there frequently.The impression I have is that it is a very well maintained and well run complex.They also seem to have a pretty strict screening process so I doubt there are too many problem tenants.

The whole Pelham Parkway neighborhood has a very low crime rate in general.That,coupled with the fact that it seems like a well run place would lead me to believe that there aren't many problems.I've been in the neighborhood for 5 years now and have never had any problems.When I bought my apartment I too wondered about whether I should put a security gate on the fire escape windows.I asked the super and he told me there hadn't been a burglary of that type in the building in 25 years. I didn't put one in.

I'm sure there are occasional robberies and burglaries but Pelham Parkway overall is one of the lowest crime precincts in the Bronx and in the city .

I think the same company owns more than one apartment complex in the neighborhood.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-09-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Hi bluedog2. I have visited the neighborhood several times over the past year to get a feel for it, and it seems so right for me. And I have read your posts - they have helped me a great deal already.

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I do feel a bit uncomfortable about having no security gate, but your reply is reassuring.

Any idea if there have been many fires in the area? I worry a great deal about fire (family tragedy), and I am forever worrying about how to get my several cats down a fire escape! (In my current neighborhood, there have been 2 major fires that burned several buildings to the ground just since I've been here, which has only increased my fire anxiety.)

Old 12-09-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piria View Post
Hi bluedog2. I have visited the neighborhood several times over the past year to get a feel for it, and it seems so right for me. And I have read your posts - they have helped me a great deal already.

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I do feel a bit uncomfortable about having no security gate, but your reply is reassuring.

Any idea if there have been many fires in the area? I worry a great deal about fire (family tragedy), and I am forever worrying about how to get my several cats down a fire escape! (In my current neighborhood, there have been 2 major fires that burned several buildings to the ground just since I've been here, which has only increased my fire anxiety.)
Where do you live now,Piria ?

Not many fires that I have heard about. There was a big one in a commercial building on White Plains Road and Lydig Ave when I first moved in but they put up a new building there….where Planet Fitness and Dress Barn are now. A few smaller ones here and there but none that spread to other apartments or buildings I don't think.There is another CD member named "Vic Future" who lives in that block on Wallace or Holland, in a co op building.You might send her a DM if you want to ask her any questions to get more opinions.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:56 PM

I am in Inwood in northern Manhattan. The last fire I am talking about burned a (probably 6-story?) building with lots of street-level shops to the ground a couple of years ago (it was razed and is now a construction site). There have been quite a few fires here, one on my block earlier this year, and one several years ago that destroyed most of a commercial block just down the street from me. Inwood has had too many fires over the years, so I worry.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I am in Inwood in northern Manhattan. The last fire I am talking about burned a (probably 6-story?) building with lots of street-level shops to the ground a couple of years ago (it was razed and is now a construction site). There have been quite a few fires here, one on my block earlier this year, and one several years ago that destroyed most of a commercial block just down the street from me. Inwood has had too many fires over the years, so I worry.
Sounds like the fires might not be accidental.I don't think we have that problem around here.Pelham Parkway is a happy neighborhood.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:04 PM

That is exactly what I am looking for! I want to live in a happy neighborhood!!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I lived in PP as a single woman (not in that complex, though). Enjoyable time there. Didn't lack for anything. I had a security gate on the fire escape window because the place came with it. Had not one burglary attempt while I resided in the apartment . I think the prior person (an elderly couple) put it on there for protection, but the owners after me removed it. It looked ugly and was very hard to open. I think they're fire hazards, to be honest.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:12 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
That is exactly what I am looking for! I want to live in a happy neighborhood!!
I might recommend you look into a fireproof apt building. You will not get that pre war charm but sounds like you have had some bad luck with fires. Remember with a fireproof apt bldg. the key is to keep your door closed. Put a wet towel along the bottom. Stay inside of your apt with the windows closed.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Thanks, riaelise.
And you do have a point about a gate being a potential hazard. In an emergency, would I have the presence of mind to round up several terrified animals and work the contraption to open the gate at the same time? Maybe not, I'm rather clumsy. Fire trumps burglary in my list of things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City