Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM

34 posts, read 47,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
So if you're that upset about it and feel you were forced to give them a swipe, make a police report
I already tried. The cops were less than helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,579,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengarry666 View Post
This happened to me TWICE today on route to sign a lease. During the day! Don't the transit police do anything about this?
Asking ain't getting.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,042,481 times
Quote:
The first time it happened I tried but the guy jumped in front of me and kept blocking me, saying "swipe! gimme swipe!". Second time I just didn't bother putting up a struggle.
It's not like he can chase you once you are on the other side since he presumably has no money or card to get through the turnstile. Now that you signed a lease in that area, you are going to need to improve your swiping skills so you can swipe faster and get to the "safe space" on the other side of the turnstile.

Maybe you can practice at turnstiles in other safer neighborhoods where there are no aggressors making you panic.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 PM

33,575 posts, read 46,904,702 times
Lol. I'm just following this thread and laughing.

OP, take the Schenectady Avenue side next time. Longer walk, but much less people.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM

99 posts, read 215,387 times
I've seen raggedy people of all ages and genders asking for this. They ask when you come off the train, if I'm in a giving mood I'll do it otherwise I ignore

Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 PM

In parts of France they just push in behind you and enter that way.

Paris Metro does not have turnstiles like our NYC subways, but rather "doors" that swing open, so those wishing to avoid fares just wait for someone to pay their fare and go through then barge in right behind. It really is scary the first few times it happens because one does not know if one is being personally attacked and or property such as hand or other bags stolen. Also if one is not steady of gait or whatever you can lose balance and be shoved to the ground.

First few times it happened was very upset; then my French friends gave me pointers and was alright.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM

33,575 posts, read 46,904,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In parts of France they just push in behind you and enter that way.

Paris Metro does not have turnstiles like our NYC subways, but rather "doors" that swing open, so those wishing to avoid fares just wait for someone to pay their fare and go through then barge in right behind. It really is scary the first few times it happens because one does not know if one is being personally attacked and or property such as hand or other bags stolen. Also if one is not steady of gait or whatever you can lose balance and be shoved to the ground.

First few times it happened was very upset; then my French friends gave me pointers and was alright.
London has that too

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,315,785 times
Quote:
The first time it happened I tried but the guy jumped in front of me and kept blocking me, saying "swipe! gimme swipe!". Second time I just didn't bother putting up a struggle.
I find this hardly believable. Just say you don't have it and move along.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Or you could just go all Madea on their behinds like when she beat down that kid on school bus! *LOL*

"I'll be waiting for you at three o'clock" *LOL*

Old 12-09-2013, 08:25 PM

34 posts, read 47,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
But then he'd catch me swiping it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City